1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommended ampifier for vienna schonberg

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tian_lie, Dec 18, 2004.

1. tian_lie

tian_lie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello...

i'm from indonesia. please can you help me what the best matching amplifier for my vienna schonberg speaker?

1. PLINIUS 9100
    2. PLINIUS 9200
    3. ELECTROCOMPANIET ECI 3
    4. MICROMEGA S120

thanx...

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Welcome to the forums :smashin:

I'm not too familiar with those speakers, do you have any details i.e. whether they are floorstanders or sub/sats; power of the speakers etc. It's difficult to make a suggestion otherwise!

3. tian_lie

tian_lie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is a floorstanders speakers

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Never heard the Amplifiers you mentioned but the speakers tend to be very detailed and benefit from an amp and source that are capable of retrieving the detail. Something like the Rega Cursa/Exon combination should work well. Or if your budget stretches to it try Burmester.

5. The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tian Lie,

It's been a while since I've heard either the Electrocompaniet or Plinus brands, so take these comments with a grain of salt... I may not have listened to the same models you're considering. However, I'll give it my best.

The Electrocompaniet should be smooth, mostly refined, and a bit of an overachiever. I'd say the Electrocompaniet would be a little more on the "warm" side... at least as compared to the Plinius. The reviews I've read recently on Electrocompaniet kit have all been quite complimentary. Having said that, I believe that the ECI-3 is only a 70 watt integrated. Although your Vienna Acoustics Schonberg speakers are 91 db efficient, my recollection of all the VA speakers I've listened to (Haydn, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Mahler, and Schonberg) is that they like some quality power.

Therefore, I think you'd do better with the Plinius integrates, as they are both more powerful than the Electrocompaniet. However, there's also the quality of the sound to consider. The Plinius gear I've heard in the past was "cooler" than the Electrocompaniet. It was transparent and detailed, but not as warm. However, the new gear - and the 9100 and 9200 specifically - are being touted for their warmth. You'll have to listen to them on some VA speakers and see what you think.

Sorry, I have no experience with the Micromega brand.

6. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Electrocompaniet is out of business...

Why not go for more "popular" brands, like Krell, McIntosh, Audio Research, Bryston, whatever is available over there...

I didnt like the sound of Plinius 9200 with my Sonus Faber speakers, and Vienna are a bit similar sound generally...

7. tian_lie

tian_lie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr. gryphon,

how about cyrus and roksan???

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Cyrus and Roksan are great brands if you can afford them , what models were you thinking about?

9. howesey

howesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick with a brittish amp manufacturer. Roksan Caspian may be perfect, or even Quad. Do not think of a manufacturer from china such as Marantz, the Viennas have a shrill treble and the over bright sound from manufacturers from this side of the world would not work.

10. tian_lie

tian_lie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roksan Caspian M series-1
    Roksan Kandy MK-3
    Cyrus 8x

and how about NAIM???

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Depends on what you like. I think the Vienna's sound is detailed. Others describe that detail as brightness. I think High end Naim would work well. Like I said these speakers benefit from a good quality amp. Voltage swing is more important than the power output of the amp.
    The last time I heard VA schonberg speakers they were attached to a Densen Beat250 Pre and Burmester 911 power and they sounded brilliant. Clean treble, good midrange and imaging. Lacking a little in bass but not enough to cause a problem.

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    To be honest, any of the above would be great. Just go for a demo and see which ones your ears like the most. Personally, I'd go for the Cyrus 8x. I've never liked the look of the Roksan Kandy, they are aesthetically challenging imo! And I've never been too impressed with Naim products, I know it's a great product but to my ears I've preferred other products.