Recommended Amp for less than £150?

VinylHogger

Hi all,

Just looking around for an amp for my new house which I'll be moving into in about a month's time all being well.

I intend to have a 5.1 setup in a pretty large living room. I'll need speakers also but that is a side point in this thread of course.

At the moment I have a Pansonic 42S10B and a PS3. At some stage I hope to add Sky+ and a media box.

Any suggesitons?

Was looking at the Denon 1509 which is on Richer Sounds for £130 but annoyingly it is store pickup only (London or Bristol) and I am in Belfats.

Cheers in advance :)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Can't the Belfast Richer Sounds store not order one in for you? I would also consider the Cambridge Audio receivers at that price point. What speakers do you plan on using?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Another vote here for the cambridge audio recievers. You will not find a better amp for the money imho. Although they are not HD amp nor do audio over HDMI so you will not HD audio from your PS3. There is a thread on here that gives a list of older amps that do audio over HDMI so this may help you select an amp.

vipergrm

I agree that in terms of value you can't really get any better than a Cambridge Audio amp at that price. However, the op has requested a 5.1 setup and I believe these amps are only stereo. Also, these amps are primarily for music playback and the op states that he/she will be using it for PS3 gaming and movies etc. So I believe the op is actually looking for an AV Receiver rather than a dedicated amp.

For those reasons, it might be better to steer towards an Onkyo 307 though this will be a little over your intended budget. In my opinion I would buy a better quality used AV receiver as you will get better quality for less. Onkyos go on forever so provided you get one that has been taken care of then you should be fine. £150 is very much in budget territory so if a used one doesn't bother you I recommend you take a look to see what is available. Check over in the classifieds on this site for instance.

VinylHogger

Can't the Belfast Richer Sounds store not order one in for you? I would also consider the Cambridge Audio receivers at that price point. What speakers do you plan on using?

Should have pointed out that it is a clearance item so extremely unlikely that they would be able to order one in. Perhaps I'll have a look in the classifieds and see what 2nd hand options are available.

I like to have the best I can afford and have been using a budget Philips system for 2 long. It has done what has been asked of it but now I want more!

Budget for Amp/Receiver and 5.1 speakers is about £350 - £400 (Don't tell the missus). Thanks for all your help so far guys and Viper, why are you doing calling me op you [email protected]?

Will look into the Cambridge amps as suggested. THanks :)

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The cambridge audio 340/540R amps are AV recievers (5.1 or more) and are around £150 in Richer Sounds. If going second hand under £100 should be easily achievable (sold my V1 540R for £90 on ebay a year or so ago).

vipergrm

The cambridge audio 340/540R amps are AV recievers (5.1 or more) and are around £150 in Richer Sounds. If going second hand under £100 should be easily achievable (sold my V1 540R for £90 on ebay a year or so ago).

Thanks PSM1;10497741 :smashin: Just saw the 340R on Richer Sounds for £150. I thought they were way more expensive than this! It is a steal at this price however, there are none available on the Northern Ireland website. It might be worth calling and asking if they will ship it over but from past experience I was told they couldn't do this. Maybe it's changed now.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom