Recommended Aerial Supplier/Installer - Manchester/Cheshire

dan6789

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have now decided that rather than go the Freesat or full satellite route I shall stick with Freeview for the timebeing. I have also pretty much decided not to buy a bedroom tv until freeview hd is available built in.

However we only have one aerial point in the lounge and I need one in the bedroom and from what I have read, the best option is another aerial. I'll probably ask for the new aerial to be connected to the existing wire (as that's the main tv) and the old aerial to be wired to the bedroom.

I don't think the current aerial is amplified and don't really want to get into wiring issues.

So I would appreciate a recommendation for a trusted aerial supplier and fitter who will give me good advice, sell me good kit at a decent price, not try and rip me off or sell me unnecessary kit.

Does anyone know anyone good in the Sale/Manchester area?

However we only have one aerial point in the lounge and I need one in the bedroom and from what I have read, the best option is another aerial. I'll probably ask for the new aerial to be connected to the existing wire (as that's the main tv) and the old aerial to be wired to the bedroom.

I don't think the current aerial is amplified and don't really want to get into wiring issues.

I'm not sure why you have drawn those conclusions.

An aerial installation is not just the aerial ... the downlead is just as important.

Also a single aerial is most definitely better than two, especially if they are going to be in the same location, which judging by your cable plan - it must be.

If your existing aerial is performing adequately then a simpler and cheaper solution would be to add an active splitter to feed the new outlet location.

I'm not sure why you have drawn those conclusions.

An aerial installation is not just the aerial ... the downlead is just as important.

Also a single aerial is most definitely better than two, especially if they are going to be in the same location, which judging by your cable plan - it must be.

If your existing aerial is performing adequately then a simpler and cheaper solution would be to add an active splitter to feed the new outlet location.

Ok, to provide further information, I don't wish to put a new wire into the lounge as the existing wire is routed down the back of the house and under two floors, one of which is covered in slate so unaccessible and the cable is chased into the wall between the floor and the socket.

I wish to run the wire to the bedroom via the front of the house and I don't really wish to have to go to the trouble of wiring up power to an amplifier.

I wish the wiring to be external due to the high standard of decor inside.

I checked the site that tells you the distance to the transmitters and the suggestion is an amplified high gain aerial but the existing aerial doesn't look anything special at all, gives a decent picture and is not amplified.

I was thinking that adding another aerial would be a sensible option and that I might as well use the new one with the existing cable as this would then be for the main tv.

Thanks for your help and please correct me/suggest more sensible options.

I am surprised that the site recommends an amplified high gain aerial; I live in Sale and you can see Winter Hill from here (with binoculars).
I get good Freeview with a fairly normal external aerial.
We also have 3 Freeview TVs upstairs, each fed by separate loft aerials and all work fine.
Additionally I recently tried a standard set top aerial from the opened out loft into a Freeview box and found all muxes and channels ok.
If your cable is in good condition, a new aerial should be all you need IMO.
Note that none of our Freeview gear uses any split feeds; each unit has its own aerial (plenty of loft space for it in my case + 1 external aerial).

Ok, to provide further information, I don't wish to put a new wire into the lounge as the existing wire is routed down the back of the house and under two floors, one of which is covered in slate so unaccessible and the cable is chased into the wall between the floor and the socket.

A few points regarding that:
If the existing system is performing ok then there is no need to disturb that cable... but even if it did require replacement a new cable does not have to follow the route of an existing cable - it can take the most convenient route according to circumstance [ You know your circumstances so there may not be other options, but it is a factor to consider. ]

Also - disturbing the inaccessible part of the cable may be unnecessary if an adaption was made using some kind of active splitter... depending on where there may be a suitable location. For example, the old cable could be disconnected at the aerial and taken to a splitter/amp... and a new cable taken up to the aerial from that point, thereby leaving the critical part undisturbed.
Another cable could be run from the splitter to he new outlet in the bedroom.
I wish to run the wire to the bedroom via the front of the house and I don't really wish to have to go to the trouble of wiring up power to an amplifier.

I wish the wiring to be external due to the high standard of decor inside.

I checked the site that tells you the distance to the transmitters and the suggestion is an amplified high gain aerial but the existing aerial doesn't look anything special at all, gives a decent picture and is not amplified.

I was thinking that adding another aerial would be a sensible option and that I might as well use the new one with the existing cable as this would then be for the main tv.

If they are completely separate installations then no real problem, but I had the impression you were considering the same location ... and it is not a good from the point of view of performance to have two aerials too close to each other .. and it is most definitely not a good idea to have two aerials on the same mast from the point of view of reliability. Weather will bring them down sooner or later.

These are just points to consider.
The best solution may be circumstantial according to domestic layout... and an onsite aerial rigger who can appreciate the practical issues may have the same or a different solution... but generally speaking - single aerials with distribution amps for further outlets would be the normal solution.

If necessary all wiring could remain outside and only penetrate walls at the points it is required.

A few points regarding that:
If the existing system is performing ok then there is no need to disturb that cable... but even if it did require replacement a new cable does not have to follow the route of an existing cable - it can take the most convenient route according to circumstance [ You know your circumstances so there may not be other options, but it is a factor to consider. ]

Also - disturbing the inaccessible part of the cable may be unnecessary if an adaption was made using some kind of active splitter... depending on where there may be a suitable location. For example, the old cable could be disconnected at the aerial and taken to a splitter/amp... and a new cable taken up to the aerial from that point, thereby leaving the critical part undisturbed.
Another cable could be run from the splitter to he new outlet in the bedroom.

If they are completely separate installations then no real problem, but I had the impression you were considering the same location ... and it is not a good from the point of view of performance to have two aerials too close to each other .. and it is most definitely not a good idea to have two aerials on the same mast from the point of view of reliability. Weather will bring them down sooner or later.

These are just points to consider.
The best solution may be circumstantial according to domestic layout... and an onsite aerial rigger who can appreciate the practical issues may have the same or a different solution... but generally speaking - single aerials with distribution amps for further outlets would be the normal solution.

If necessary all wiring could remain outside and only penetrate walls at the points it is required.

Thanks. I think the amplifier route will be difficult due to layout, the only option being to put an amp/splitter between the existing aerial socket and lounge tv then taking the wire outside to the bedroom which will look more messy from the outside.

The existing aeiral is attached directly to the chimney (no mast) so I was thinking the new aerial could be put either directly on the other side of the chimney stack or on a mast attached to the other side of the stack meaning there should be a good few feet between them. Does this sound ok?

Regarding the amplified high gain aerial, I don't think this is at all necessary in the area depsite the site referred to somewhere on here suggesting it.

Thanks again.

Dan

Thanks. I think the amplifier route will be difficult due to layout, the only option being to put an amp/splitter between the existing aerial socket and lounge tv then taking the wire outside to the bedroom which will look more messy from the outside.

Hi Dan

Not necessarily. It can depend on the type of amplifier / splitter.
For example you could use a masthead splitter.
This would be a box mounted on the existing aerial with feeds from it going to both locations [ and using your existing cable to the primary location] It is powered via the coax itself from a small psu which could be located at either of the two outlets.
[At least you can be aware if this option in case a rigger suggests it to you. ]
The existing aeiral is attached directly to the chimney (no mast) so I was thinking the new aerial could be put either directly on the other side of the chimney stack or on a mast attached to the other side of the stack meaning there should be a good few feet between them. Does this sound ok?

Yes. If you take the two aerial route.
Regarding the amplified high gain aerial, I don't think this is at all necessary in the area depsite the site referred to somewhere on here suggesting it.

Thanks again.

Dan

Any amplification is not really there to amplify the signal so much, but more to compensate for the insertion loss of a splitter.

Thanks, the splitter being powered via the coax was not something I had considered and could well make sense as I could plug it in in the bedroom I guess. That said two aerials might be just as simple and avoid the need to plug anything in. Wiring in isn't really an option due to recent decoration.

I now feel in a much better position to discuss options with an installer so thanks for your help.

On the other hand the OP asked for installers "..in the Sale/Manchester area? " so there must, by the law of averages, someone near (you'd think)

Google finds
aerial installers manchester - Google Maps

aerial installers sale cheshire - Google Maps

The CAI website doesn't list any members in Sale. I'm quite sure the Manchester Evening News lists scores of installers in the area as does our local "Oldham Chronicle" but for a "trusted installer" I would go with CAI members as I did with my own recent setup using Waveform from Oldham.

The CAI website doesn't list any members in Sale. I'm quite sure the Manchester Evening News lists scores of installers in the area as does our local "Oldham Chronicle" but for a "trusted installer" I would go with CAI members as I did with my own recent setup using Waveform from Oldham.

Agreed!, May I just add if you get an installer from the Oldham Chronicle you can be sure they have been vetted byu the chronicle... I used to have an ad in there and they like to take full address and CRB checks off installers which is a good touch.

I have picked a CIA approved installer from Worsley and he's coming around on Friday afternoon.

Thanks again.

I have picked a CIA approved installer from Worsley and he's coming around on Friday afternoon.

Thanks again.

Good luck with your installation.

Let us know the outcome.

I had a new aerial fitted and didn't bother with changing the wiring so the new aerial goes to the bedroom tv. It was only £60 fitted. The only trouble with this cheap and rapid service is that you don't get to discuss much. The fitter said he could split the new aerial and wire it to both tvs (without an amplifier) but this was not done (but could be done at a later date). He said my existing aerial is not a digital aerial - is there such a thing as a digital aerial?

Anyway, it seems to be working fine with the existing short term solution of the current basic 15" old LG LCD TV and Netgem Iplayer. This will be replaced probably with a 26" tv in due course, my current thinking being the Samsung LE26B450.

No , there isn't such a thing as a "digital aerial".
Aerials for analogue TV from Winter Hill are group C/D.
Aerials for digital TV from Winter Hill are also group C/D.

He said my existing aerial is not a digital aerial - is there such a thing as a digital aerial?

Jeez- They still try to pull this old chestnut.

I resisted saying anything and wasn't convinced when he said it might be worth removing the existing the aerial and splitting the input into the new one with no amplification taking the view that one aerial for each should be better.

The aerial is bigger than the existing one, mounted on a longer pole and has more elements so should do the jobfine and for £60 fitted it'll do the job.

I can't see why he made the digital aerial comment though as there was nothing to be gained. Just makes me less inclined to use them again.

It was for this reason I tried to get a specific recommendation rather than just going throuh the CAI site etc (just realised my CIA error!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom