Recommended <32" TV for kitchen

ewand

hi all

We have an OK-ish 24" Sony LCD TV in the kitchen but it's starting to lose all of the apps like iPlayer, and I fancied upgrading to something bigger/better. Worst case I could stick a Fire TV stick or something in it, but where's the fun in not upgrading ;-) ?

The problem is that the height between worktop and bottom of the pelmet that goes around the cupboards above is 42cm - and the only 32" TV I've seen that has a chance of fitting that is the Samsung "The Frame" which is 41.94cm with no stand, and more like 45cm with the provided stand/feet. I bought one thinking that I might be able to hang it from a display arm instead of using its supplied stand, but I think it's just too tight (let alone some heat dissipation issues that might crop up).

Can anyone recommend a good Freeview+ full HD set that would fit under 42cm? It feels like 28" is now a dead zone and none of the big names even make anything smaller than 32"...

thanks
Ewan

Dodgexander

Take a read of a recent similar topic: Looking for a smallish TV (gaming/movie watching)?

I'm not really sure I can add anything more than I have done there, or with previous 32" or smaller topics. Basic summary is there's nothing but bottom of the range TVs at smaller sizes and most manufacturers don't even refresh their lines at smaller sizes yearly.

ewand

Thanks - it certainly looks like I'll be into buying something cheap and cheerful that physically fits the space :( What I'm looking for is a 32" OLED 4K screen with a razor thin bezel that sits 1mm off the surface it's sitting on, rather than propped up on stilts. But then, I guess I must be the only one :D

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you need to remodel your kitchen around a bigger TV ;)

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you need to remodel your kitchen around a bigger TV ;)
My Kitchen is vast but anything much more than 32" would look obscene IMHO :eek:

The one thing I would point out to the OP is that many TV's of this size are still so called HD ready which if I remember correctly from around 13 years ago meant 760x1366 panels that could not really handle SD or full HD. Ensure that you get a full HD 1080x1920 panel.

ewand

Ensure that you get a full HD 1080x1920 panel.
thanks - that's precisely what I'm looking for... but drawing a blank. The thinnest bezel 32" TV I can find is the Samsung The Frame - Samsung The Frame (2020) QLED Full HD Art Mode TV, 32 inch at John Lewis & Partners - which is full HD, but that is just too neat.

I could probably make it fit if I hung it on a mount, as it's too tall if using the supplied feet. Also, it doesn't have VESA standard mounting holes, so would need something customised to work it out, and with mm tolerances I'm not sure I'd want to risk it :) Also, I am a bit worried about cooling as it would resting on the granite worktop and the top of the bezel would be - just - touching the pelmet under the cupboard).

I'm resigned to getting an older 28" 720p model, or maybe just sticking a Fire stick in the current one and living with its size ;)

Dodgexander

I wouldn't personally worry about FHD on a 32". SD TV will look better upscaled to a 1366x768 TV anyway. It's far too small to benefit from that resolution unless its going to be close-up.

Jeez I'd avoid that frame with a bargepole. What a way to overprice a TV that is still in effect still a bottom of the barrel model.

ewand

I hear you - part of me thinks if I'm going to shell out on a new screen, I'd want it to be as high res as possible - and the only reason for going for the Frame is that it might have fitted in (unlike every other 32" screen I can see).

I've just ordered a Roku stick in Prime Day so might well even stick with the old 24" model for a while - the difference in size from 24 to 28 and maybe a bit of a better picture quality probably doesn't warrant shelling out £200 on something else...

Thanks!

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't personally worry about FHD on a 32". SD TV will look better upscaled to a 1366x768 TV anyway. It's far too small to benefit from that resolution unless its going to be close-up.

Jeez I'd avoid that frame with a bargepole. What a way to overprice a TV that is still in effect still a bottom of the barrel model.
Sorry Dodge have to disagree. I remember even leading brands of 1366x768 32 " TV'S looking horrendous upscaling SD and not making a very good job of displaying the one then HD channel. The upscaled SD was far better when full HD TV'S were introduced and HD was wonderful. I am of course referring to 576i SD not 480i.
BTW as you are a mod could you call attention to fact I cannot reply on PC? Tried logging off / on restarting etc. No active typing area.! Thanks replying on Android tablet.

Dodgexander

Sorry Dodge have to disagree. I remember even leading brands of 1366x768 32 " TV'S looking horrendous upscaling SD and not making a very good job of displaying the one then HD channel. The upscaled SD was far better when full HD TV'S were introduced and HD was wonderful. I am of course referring to 576i SD not 480i.
BTW as you are a mod could you call attention to fact I cannot reply on PC? Tried logging off / on restarting etc. No active typing area.! Thanks replying on Android tablet.
Less pixels makes for less upscaling, although its been some time I've compared I can definitely say my old PX70 Panasonic Plasma looked better than my ST60, but then again I think the PX70 was 1024x768 rather than 1366x768.

Usually problems not being able to reply on the forum is down to ad blockers. Disable ad blockers, clear your browser cache and log back in. Make sure you aren't using a connection that uses ad blocking either such as data savers or VPNs.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Usually problems not being able to reply on the forum is down to ad blockers. Disable ad blockers, clear your browser cache and log back in. Make sure you aren't using a connection that uses ad blocking either such as data savers or VPNs.
Thanks but all is now OK - just refreshed page which I tried earlier to no avail.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews
Top Bottom