Recommendations wanted: large standmount speaker that's okay near walls.

Yes, it’s my impression of the Tannoy sound You might like the sound. If Fyne is the same I don’t know. Speaking of Tannoy, the famous 60’s speakers are amongst many audiophiles the best speakers ever made.

Modern Tannoy has to sterile sound. It’s very flat. Vocals sound shut in. Tweeter is simply to bright. Bass, dynamics are quite good. Though the bass could be fuller sounding.

I’d check and see if Tannoy or Fyne are designed with titanium tweeter. If so it’s bright sounding. Titanium tweeter can go very high in frequency.
25mm titanium dome compression tweeter on the Fyne F500

I suppose some of Tannoy sound philosophy is more less the same approach Fyne has. Same engineering team who started Fyne a few years ago,

Not listed to Fyne myself, but if they sound anything like Tannoy, then I well skip them.

Had pair of Tannoy speakers before. The midrange is flat, it’s like the treble, bass is adjust from 12 a clock to 5 a clock. Voices sound artificial. Bass is precise but there’s no warmth at all. The titanium tweeter hurts my ears.

If Fyne sounds more less the same, then they are brighter then Monitor Audio.

Totally agree with Helix here, I have heard some Fyne's recently (Think they were the floorstander 501) and they are are just too shouty in the treble for me so I suspect the 500's would be similar, system matching will be a must with these, but they are very detailed and lively performers, the bottom port works brilliantly.
The Focal 906's is a very nice loudspeaker, not only in build quality but in sound quality, when I owned them I found them very balanced and really enjoyed them, detailed but still smooth with a very nice midrange (that inverted alloy tweeter is a gem) and they get my recommendation, but they do require a few hundred hours to get the bass working properly. However I sold them in the end as they seemed to have a strange response in the bass that kept niggling me, bass extension was reasonable and better than the specs suggest.
Considering the OP is very happy with his Concepts, and only requires to fill in the low frequency, I think his answer would in this case be a compact ported subwoofer tuned below 60Hz, I am generally not a fan of subs with music but in this case I think it would work for him especially if he is not planning on disco levels of volume (to annoy his neighbours) most subs do have volume controls you know so he could just turn it down a little.
BTW maybe forget the Wharfedale 12.2, I tried the 12.1's a few weeks ago and they were not as good as expected (crap actually) which goes to show you should ALWAYS listen for yourself.
Lastly, I am currently using the Elac DBR REF62's and unless you have a very beefy amp forget it, they suck power like you wouldn't believe, but I'm still loving them.

Totally agree with Helix here, I have heard some Fyne's recently (Think they were the floorstander 501) and they are are just too shouty in the treble for me so I suspect the 500's would be similar, system matching will be a must with these, but they are very detailed and lively performers, the bottom port works brilliantly.
The Focal 906's is a very nice loudspeaker, not only in build quality but in sound quality, when I owned them I found them very balanced and really enjoyed them, detailed but still smooth with a very nice midrange (that inverted alloy tweeter is a gem) and they get my recommendation, but they do require a few hundred hours to get the bass working properly. However I sold them in the end as they seemed to have a strange response in the bass that kept niggling me, bass extension was reasonable and better than the specs suggest.
Considering the OP is very happy with his Concepts, and only requires to fill in the low frequency, I think his answer would in this case be a compact ported subwoofer tuned below 60Hz, I am generally not a fan of subs with music but in this case I think it would work for him especially if he is not planning on disco levels of volume (to annoy his neighbours) most subs do have volume controls you know so he could just turn it down a little.
BTW maybe forget the Wharfedale 12.2, I tried the 12.1's a few weeks ago and they were not as good as expected (crap actually) which goes to show you should ALWAYS listen for yourself.
Lastly, I am currently using the Elac DBR REF62's and unless you have a very beefy amp forget it, they suck power like you wouldn't believe, but I'm still loving them.
Hey Kapkirk,

I ended up selling the Wharfedale 12.1s and 12.3s because, while I thought they were okay, they seemed to misbehave a lot in my room, with my equipment. Sibilants every now and then, some harshness every now and then, bass boomy every now and then (room issues).... Something was just not right. The 12.2s may be different, as I didn't try them. But somehow I doubt it.

I've been trying a pair of older QA 3020s in my office recently, and while not as good as the Concepts, they seem okay. Frequency response under 200Hz is very lumpy, and drops into nearly inaudible at around 64Hz, but I'm gonna get some bass traps and panels to see if it helps, plus a small sub to fill in the lower frequencies. Seems like the best option since I already have the 3020s.

As for the ELACs, I was tempted by the great measurements on Audio Science Review, but as you say, a 30w amp may struggle. So, I left that option aside.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The concept 20’s sound so good clean and easy to listen too.
As I had them in a second system for other reasons I don’t have them anymore but would still have if it was my choice ,
If it were my money then I would have add a sub
Look at a REL sub which can run off of the high level speaker connections

As I had them in a second system for other reasons I don’t have them anymore but would still have if it was my choice ,
Hi DrH,

I am thinking of getting a Rel Tzero Mk3 sub. Or T5i. Another option is the BK Gemini 2s, although I am concerned about some reports that they hum. I will be sat more or less on top of it, so a faint hum would be slightly annoying.

Thanks for the advice :)

Whilst REL's are ok and run off high level.... the BK is equally as good. BK started in 1992 and were approached by REL to exclusively make the REL sub range and send them to REL to be distributed..... I still have one of these BK made REL subs with my Strata III :) These days... REL is built mass produced in china now (especially the R and T series which is a re-badged Sumiko) ..

I would stay with BK as they are still UK made and handmade too i believe. The only downside to BK is that you cant go to a shop and see them or demo them.. you have to go through BK direct.

However.. BK allow you a 14 day home run with a free return if you dont like them, (provided everything is returned in mint condition)
Returns Policy

BK Electronics is committed to selling quality products which we hope you will love, we do understand however, that there may be a time when you need to exchange or return something you have bought. We really do hope you are pleased with your purchase but should you wish to return anything bought from us, we will be happy to refund or exchange a product within 14 days of delivery. Please return the product to us with the original packing and all accessories. Before returning to us you must keep them in your possession and must take reasonable care of them.

Hi DrH,

I am thinking of getting a Rel Tzero Mk3 sub. Or T5i. Another option is the BK Gemini 2s, although I am concerned about some reports that they hum. I will be sat more or less on top of it, so a faint hum would be slightly annoying.

Thanks for the advice :)
The gemini is ok... but it is the ultra budget model..... remember that .. I would suggest their XLS200 range as a starter however. The joy with BK .. is that you can mail/call them to discuss the gemini with the hum.. and ask if they can check on one before sending you one :)

I'm just off to work for a few hours so can't comment any more for a bit. I'll look in once i get back for replies!

P.S .. if you keep your QA's....... you can demo the 3070S QA sub for £179 at richer sounds.. or the 3060S for £249 at a sevenoaks.. and get a matching sub for the Concepts... just a thought

Last edited:
The gemini is ok... but it is the ultra budget model..... remember that .. I would suggest their XLS200 range as a starter however. The joy with BK .. is that you can mail/call them to discuss the gemini with the hum.. and ask if they can check on one before sending you one :)

I'm just off to work for a few hours so can't comment any more for a bit. I'll look in once i get back for replies!

P.S .. if you keep your QA's....... you can demo the 3070S QA sub for £179 at richer sounds.. or the 3060S for £249 at a sevenoaks.. and get a matching sub for the Concepts... just a thought
Hi Orobas,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise the Rel Tzero was a rebadged Chinese brand. I think I'll go with BK in that case. Last time I looked, the XLS200 was "out of stock". I'll wait till they are being made again or grab a used one if it comes up. I did consider getting a QA 3070s, as they are only £180 now. It would only be for casual listening and a movie or two, so should work fine. I'll go with BK for my other system.

Thanks for the advice.

I'd recommend Focal, but I am bias...

Reason for the additional weight over closest rivals is the cabinet is double thickness.

My 726 are 21kg, rivals are all in the 11-15kg range.

They fixed the massive ohm drop with the new 8 series as well which means a lower class amp is usable. Wouldn't go cheap too cheap though. 500+ range is good.
Buy speakers by the Kg? I must say I had the Focal Aria's for a long while and they were really good, but agree with others can be polite. They work very well near the walls as being front ported.

Hi Orobas,

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise the Rel Tzero was a rebadged Chinese brand. I think I'll go with BK in that case. Last time I looked, the XLS200 was "out of stock". I'll wait till they are being made again or grab a used one if it comes up. I did consider getting a QA 3070s, as they are only £180 now. It would only be for casual listening and a movie or two, so should work fine. I'll go with BK for my other system.

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah ever since Richard Lord died, they have pretty much got everything made in china now. They are still designed in the uk.. but they are made overseas and shipped back to the UK.. the R series was conceived by Sumiko from rel's design and just tweaked a bit.. Their flagship models i do believe are still uk made... but their lower end stuff is china made. This is the T/9i for example. Badged as UK as still uk registered.. but "assembled in china"

Yeah ever since Richard Lord died, they have pretty much got everything made in china now. They are still designed in the uk.. but they are made overseas and shipped back to the UK.. the R series was conceived by Sumiko from rel's design and just tweaked a bit.. Their flagship models i do believe are still uk made... but their lower end stuff is china made. This is the T/9i for example. Badged as UK as still uk registered.. but "assembled in china"
I don't have anything against "made in China", personally, but I do prefer to buy locally if I can, or at least within Europe. Since BK is a UK company, and assemble their subs here in the UK, I'll go with that. If it ever develops a fault, I can send it back and there is a good chance they can fix it. I would prefer to have items that can last, but don't break the bank. I need to stick strictly to budget equipment.

I don't have anything against "made in China", personally, but I do prefer to buy locally if I can, or at least within Europe. Since BK is a UK company, and assemble their subs here in the UK, I'll go with that. If it ever develops a fault, I can send it back and there is a good chance they can fix it. I would prefer to have items that can last, but don't break the bank. I need to stick strictly to budget equipment.
Yeah BK is definitely budget in price.. but you have all those years of making REL subs behind them and their performance is anything but budget.. it's still REL performance :)

Yeah BK is definitely budget in price.. but you have all those years of making REL subs behind them and their performance is anything but budget.. it's still REL performance :)
Sounds like just the ticket. The XLS200 is still out of stock. Maybe I'll hang on for now and hopefully they'll be back and running soon. I don't have the space or cash for the larger models right now.

Sounds like just the ticket. The XLS200 is still out of stock. Maybe I'll hang on for now and hopefully they'll be back and running soon. I don't have the space or cash for the larger models right now.
Failing that,.... Drop BK a line and ask about the Gemini and the hum and see if they have fixed the issue and/or can test one before it's sent out to you.. remember you have a 14 day return to factory option after all to test it at home :)

Failing that,.... Drop BK a line and ask about the Gemini and the hum and see if they have fixed the issue and/or can test one before it's sent out to you.. remember you have a 14 day return to factory option after all to test it at home :)
I might do. The Gemini, although the bottom of the range, is well regarded here on AVForums. The price difference is appreciable, since I intend to buy 2 or 3. If I have a sub on one system, I may as well stick a sub on all three. I'll try one first and go from there though :)

Thanks again, Orobas. It's been very helpful.

Ah I did not realise that the REL’s were made in China
I run a BKXXLS400 in my set up which is great had it 10 years at least

Ah I did not realise that the REL’s were made in China
I run a BKXXLS400 in my set up which is great had it 10 years at least
Been that way for a number of years. My ten year old T5 is made in China, can't fault it's reliability with just a minor relay failure a couple of years ago. Your R3 and my R300s are also made in China.

Hey Kapkirk,

I ended up selling the Wharfedale 12.1s and 12.3s because, while I thought they were okay, they seemed to misbehave a lot in my room, with my equipment. Sibilants every now and then, some harshness every now and then, bass boomy every now and then (room issues).... Something was just not right. The 12.2s may be different, as I didn't try them. But somehow I doubt it.

I've been trying a pair of older QA 3020s in my office recently, and while not as good as the Concepts, they seem okay. Frequency response under 200Hz is very lumpy, and drops into nearly inaudible at around 64Hz, but I'm gonna get some bass traps and panels to see if it helps, plus a small sub to fill in the lower frequencies. Seems like the best option since I already have the 3020s.

As for the ELACs, I was tempted by the great measurements on Audio Science Review, but as you say, a 30w amp may struggle. So, I left that option aside.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Know what you mean foothealer, rooms can really mess things up, I just cannot get ANY floorstander to work in my flat which is why I now exclusively use standounters which seem to work very well. I've heard the 3020's and while I felt they were OK they seemed a little shut in to me, I like a sound that projects out into the room (the focals did this very well actually) the DBR62's not so much but the rest of their performance more than makes up for it.
Actually, I don't think my Denon is a perfect match with them although the music is very enjoyable it can sometimes seem a little soft (The denon pma1600e is very warm and so are the Elacs) I've been considering trying an Exposure 2510 or a SH Roksan Black so we'll see what the future holds. Might be worth you trying the Focal 906 if you can get your hands on a pair cheaply enough which may be possible now as they have just brought out a newer K2 model with a different Bass/mid driver so expect reductions on the older model.

Been that way for a number of years. My ten year old T5 is made in China, can't fault it's reliability with just a minor relay failure a couple of years ago. Your R3 and my R300s are also made in China.
It seems most everything is made in China.

Focal hifi range is made in france. Cheaper stuff is China.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom