Recommendations? SD camcorder with good still image features?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by 3iron, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I need to buy a SD camcorder with the ability to take good quality still images indoors to be used to create a stop-motion animation (with Boinx iStopMotion - images aren't stored on the camera as they are stored on the computer, which is high enough spec). Must have tripod fit, manual focusing, with decent quality at indoors lighting levels, and preferably firewire connectivity.

This is my first camcorder and will be used for general family/holiday use as a video camcorder after the animation project is over. Not bothered by HD at this time but built-in flash would be nice with decent optical zoom and preferably mpeg2.

Budget is up to £200-ish but prefer to be nearer £150

Can anyone please suggest what I should be looking at, as I'm dazzled by the options/choices and just need some people to say "Buy this one" ! :)

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No one able to help? :confused:

3. A n d r e w

A n d r e w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Have you checked the Boinx web site for supported camcorders (Boinx Software - iStopMotion 2 - Video vs. Still)? One thing's for sure: you'll get better stills picture quality from a stills camera - even a relatively inexpensive one - than from a consumer camcorder. The Canon HF100 and Sony SR11 / SR12 take reasonable stills, but nothing exceptional, and neither is supported by iStopMotion without additional hardware (nor is either anywhere near your budget).

You could look at Canon's standard defintion mini-DV camcorders (do a search for "Canon mini DV" on Amaz*n or equivalent) but the stills are going to be underwhelming to say the least.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  4. 3iron

3iron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Andrew, great advice. :thumbsup:

I think I'll now re-assess my needs and use a still camera as you suggest, which I can borrow from a friend (mine doesn't work with istopmotion as per that site). Then I'll look at camcorders again if/when the need arises for video use :)

Cheers,

3iron