Question Recommendations required for [s]all in one[/s] system to link to Sky Q and 4K TV

kosymodo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I need some help from you knowledgeable folk! Basically I'm going down the Sky Q and 4K TV route and need recommendations on what all-in-one system to link them up. I currently have a 6yr old Sony BDV-E370 which satisfies my current Blu-Ray and 3D needs. However I'm aware that this is old tech and wouldn't cover my new 4K needs. Therefore I'm looking to see what's on the market to do this.

I mention I need an all-in-one system as I'm limited for space. My TV bench has 2 slots, one of which will be for the Sky box.

I'm potentially OK with reusing my current Sony speakers, if that helps.

BDV-E370 - if you are happy with how it sounds I would stick with it and use the Optical Out of SKY Q to the Optical Input on the Sony system.

4K TV - will you use any of its streaming Apps?

Joe

Had a bit of a rethink of this today. I have an Xbox One S, so might just use that for my disc needs. Therefore, could now be looking for an AV receiver around the £200 mark. Since I'll be using Sky Q 2TB with 4K support and Atmos, the question is which AV receiver to choose to hook all these up?

In terms of streaming apps, maybe...depends on whether I use the TV app for Netflix, or use the Netflix app on the Xbox.

Your 'system' Speakers are not a good match with a conventional AVR as the Satellites are low impedance (3-ohm) and the Sub is passive - your AVR is better suited to a conventional Sat/Sub speaker system with closer to 8-ohm speakers and an Active (self powered) Sub.

Joe

Your 'system' Speakers are not a good match with a conventional AVR as the Satellites are low impedance (3-ohm) and the Sub is passive - your AVR is better suited to a conventional Sat/Sub speaker system with closer to 8-ohm speakers and an Active (self powered) Sub.

Joe

Thanks Joe - but could you try again in English? If new speakers are required, what am I looking for? Not much room to fit in any more than the current 5.1 or any bigger speakers.

'but could you try again in English?' - you won't be getting your AV Anorak any time soon :)

All-in-one system speakers are not designed to work with a conventional AVR - if you plan to replace the system with a 4K_UHD capable AVR you will also require a 5.1 Sat/Sub system which includes an 'active (self powered) Sub.

All of the 'big' brands carry inexpensive Sat/Sub systems with small Sats for Front LCR and Surround duties.

Will you want to Wall or Stand mount the Sat speakers and what budget will you have to cover the AVR + Speaker package?

Joe

Last edited:
'but could you try again in English?' - you won't be getting your AV Anorak any time soon :)

All-in-one system speakers are not designed to work with a conventional AVR - if you plan to replace the system with a 4K UHD capable AVR you will also require a 5.1 Sat/Sub system which includes an 'active (self powered) Sub.

All of the 'big' brands carry inexpensive Sat/Sub systems with small Sats for Front LCR and Surround duties.

Will you want to Wall or Stand mount the Sat speakers and what budget will you have to cover the AVR + Speaker package?

Joe

Thanks! Much clearer! Maybe I'll progress to an anorak one day...

Ok, budget of maybe £400 tops...which I appreciate will be restrictive

'which I appreciate will be restrictive' - potentially you are back at a 'system' or if it were me I would be looking at an entry level 4K UHD capable AVR plus Front LR speakers and add in the rest of the 5.1 speaker system (Sub, Centre, Surrounds) as and when budget allowed.

There are a few AVF Advertisers who have packages available - AVForums Advertisers

Joe

@Joe Fernand I bought myself a Pioneer VSX-330 in the end, and set this up with the Sony speakers. However, it's not performing as best it might I suspect. How much of this is down to the Sony speakers I'm trying to work out. The sound is tinny at times. What effect should I be noticing by using these speakers with this AVR? What effect does using low ohm speakers have on a standard AVR?

Also, and I reckon this is probably down to me having the Sony system set up with some weird mode, but the actual sound coming out of the speakers is variable in so much as which speakers it comes out of. Sometimes it's just the FL + FR, sometimes just the Centre, and sometimes a combination of the 3. (No SL/SR/Sub connected yet).

Finally, and you might not be best placed to answer this, but the sound level varies massively according to what is being input. Sky Q (via HDMI) needs a volume level of ~40 to be comfortably audible, whereas Netflix (via HDMI ARC from TV) is comfortably audible at ~20. Is this likely to be an input issue, or an issue with how I've set up the AVR?

Any help would be gratefully received, as the missus is sat there saying that she much prefers the sound the way it was (even though the lip sync was massively annoying!) No lip sync issue with the Pioneer :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom