Recommendations required for cables & conduit

ProNotion

Standard Member
I have a one-time opportunity to get this right and unfortunately, now I have caused my project to come to a halt simply because I feel I have too much information and can't make a decision on how to proceed.

I am looking for recommendations on how best to prepare the room in such a way that if needed I can later add/remove cables without having to trash the room. I plan to create a false wall over my fireplace to help hide wires behind the TV, I also have the luxury of running cables under my living room floor without pulling the floor up at the moment due to a void under the house.

What other cabling should I be running? I already have a TV aerial cable that I will try and extend over to the fireplace, and also cables from the satellite dish for freesat.

Conduit
What sort of conduit should I use to run cables from the top of the fireplace to the bottom where I plan to store all of my AV equipment? Do I just use a PVC pipe as I'd use for plumbing? I failed to install this in my last house due to access issues inside the fireplace and trying to get cables around a 90-degree bend without damage was near impossible. I read on here somewhere about getting something with a sweeping bend but doesn't seem to be much around in the UK, the only one I found so far is only 20mm wide or is this the sort of thing I am looking for?

Network Cable
Over time I plan to try and get at least one network socket in each room of the house, I'm not sure yet if I will terminate it at the top or bottom of the fireplace so need to plan for that I guess by adding another piece of conduit in the fireplace. From what I've read I am best to install CAT6 cable? Any recommendations on which drum of cable to get? There seems to be so much choice - and the costs can vary greatly too.

Is this what I should be using?

Speaker wire
This is something else I failed to plan for in my last house, I currently only have 3.1 surround but will be upgrading as soon as money allows and so want to run speaker cable to all possible locations that I might need before decorating. The problem is I don't currently know if I am going to have floor-mounted or wall-mounted speakers, top or bottom but I can run a cable up to both locations now I guess. Should I again run some conduit in the wall to help make this easier to access wires or should I just try and drop it down the inside of the wall? Any recommendations on speaker wire?

Is this what I should be using?

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
We are just about to re-launch a ducting kit, which mounts in UK double back boxes, should be ideal for your situation, but i cant get to them until Yuesday to grab photos.

As for cables, the Cat6 looks ok and is CPR rated, needed for residential installs where new builds and building regs are applied.

The speaker cable looks a little cheap. It isnt full copper and doesnt look to be CPR rated either. It is also a little fat. 14awg can be a bit of a handful to install in walls etc just because it is thicker and less flexible. Good quality 16/2 is fine and what installer would use.

Harkon321

I used van dame blue for speaker cable. 2.5mm.
Could you use 40mm welded pipe for plumbing. That has all sorts of bends and is readily available?

Subwoofer cables? HDMI? Difficult without seeing a plan.

ProNotion

Standard Member
On that note, I was meaning to ask. Is there any software around that can be used for drawing up plans myself?

ProNotion

Standard Member
We are just about to re-launch a ducting kit, which mounts in UK double back boxes, should be ideal for your situation, but i cant get to them until Yuesday to grab photos.

As for cables, the Cat6 looks ok and is CPR rated, needed for residential installs where new builds and building regs are applied.

The speaker cable looks a little cheap. It isnt full copper and doesnt look to be CPR rated either. It is also a little fat. 14awg can be a bit of a handful to install in walls etc just because it is thicker and less flexible. Good quality 16/2 is fine and what installer would use.
Tuesday would be fine, I'm interested to see it.

As for the speaker cable, thanks for the feedback, I will continue my research and include the recommendation from @Harkon321

ProNotion

Standard Member
I used van dame blue for speaker cable. 2.5mm.
Could you use 40mm welded pipe for plumbing. That has all sorts of bends and is readily available?

Subwoofer cables? HDMI? Difficult without seeing a plan.
HDMI Cables I was planning to drop straight down the back from TV through a brush plate into the conduit and out the bottom where my equipment will live.

As for Subwoofer cables, since you've raised the point I hadn't thought about it actually as I'd like some flexibility in where I can place the sub but it can still terminate in the fireplace. What are my options for longer runs of that sort of cable?

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Sorry for the delay.

This is the duct kit that we will be offering.

As you can see the custom back boxes are designed to hold the duct in position and we can offer twin and single duct backboxes.

Backboxes ship flat, and you bend them into the box shape, standard UK Double Gang, Extra Deep design.
20220630_144725.jpg

20220630_144502.jpg
20220630_144627.jpg
20220630_145138.jpg

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Not loaded onto website yet and I won't be able to ship for a couple of weeks, but.......

£18.00 for the single 1m duct / 2x double gang backboxes
£24.00 for the double 1m ducts / 2x double gang backboxes

Custom duct lengths available.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom