Recommendations - Prog scan player or HTPC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kjab3068, Nov 15, 2003.

1. kjab3068

kjab3068

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

I want to get a decent dvd player for my pio 433MXE. The options are either a sony 730 running through component pal prog scan, the new tosh 530 also with pal prog or my current PC hooked up to the screen.

The PC uses a radeon 9700pro and is connected via a DVI cable.

What would get the best image result, pc or player? A new dvd player would be 130-150, but to use my pc I would only need a new sound card with a digital output for 40 pounds or so I think. I guess sound is not an issue as either player or pc would be outputted direct to my amp for decoding there, right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

neil

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kjab3068

a. What resolution do you set your PC to when displaying on the 433MXE DVI?

b. I know nothing about those particular players but . . I think the PC would give the best picture. However, the quality depends on the software being used to play the DVD. It is also not certain that the PC would pass through all forms of digital sound. It won't do DVD-A or SACD either, I think.

Depending on where your PC is, and whether you have a wireless mouse and keyboard, conveneience and background noise favour the player.

I have a 433MXE, but I am also a Mac user rather than Wintel that you presumably have.

My Mac gives better picture quality than my Pioneer DV717. It does Dolby and DTS digital out with a Revolution 7.1 card. I am getting the Pioneer 868 player, but it's not going to do upsampling on component output, and it's not going to do DVI from commercial DVD's because of HDCP, so far as I can tell.

One problem I have with the 433MXE is that it has non-square pixels, and I am unable to use DVI output because the screen doesn't offer a sensible resolution to the PC. I guess from what I have read that this is a pure marketing ploy instigated by Pioneer USA to make people buy the 503MXE instead. The PDA5002 manual even says it offers 1280/768 on DVI with the 433 (manual page 33), but it doesn't. I guess some hacking could force the PC to generate 1280*768, but I haven't tried. So I use 1280*768 on input 1 (VGA); PQ is very close to DVI, but cable quality and shortness would be important.

Finally, I found the DVI input of the 433MXE gave a green tinge to light colours that needed adjustment.

3. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kjab3068

one last thing . . . In your situation I'd almost certainly get a Momitsu V880 despite the lack of UK source and possible build quality issues. (I may get one anyway if the 868 turns out to be really uncooperative.) It seems people now have them working beautifully with the 433MXE.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi ancientgeek,

I'm currently using a Momitsu to output a 1280x768 60Hz signal from NTSC discs into the DVI on my 433MXE, and with the latest firmware, I'm getting good results. I can also output PAL discs at 1024x768 at 75Hz and they look fantastic.

Steve

5. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dutch

That is useful information - it means that my suspicions were correct, and 1280/768 has just been removed from the "supported resolutions list" passed to the PC/player by the PDA5002 when it's in a 433MXE or 433CMX. If I can make my PC/player generate it, it will work. I'll see what I can do to force 1280/768 DVI to appear on my Mac.

The question is, how do I explain the need to buy two DVD players in the same month? At the moment I'm hearing "that must mean you can cancel the Pioneer"!

6. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've tried DVI again, and using the latest Mac OS (version 10.3) I am now getting the 1280*768 DVI option. Picture quality is much improved over wide XGA analogue (sharper, more saturated colours). The application DVD Player upsamples to full screen. I can't imagine getting better DVD picture quality on the 433MXE.

So just in case there's any other Mac & 433MXE users out there, I now highly recommend for DVD playback:

MacOS X (v 10.3 Panther) with DVD Player 4.0
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1 PCI sound card
    Pioneer 433MXE
    DVI video; optical digital sound

7. kjab3068

kjab3068

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry for the late reply!

The res of the PC is at native 1024x768, can I force my raddy to output a higher res that will be shown fully by the MXE? how do I do that?

Anyone got any further comments as to the tosh 530 or sony 730, I know there have been some threads recently but everyone has just said "i've got one... it's great" anyone got any comparisons between the two?

what's a good software to use for the pc?

Cheers

8. ani4ani

ani4ani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    goto the HCPC section. all your questions will be answered re resolutions etc. Effectively you can do pretty much what you like with the resolutions.

I have not tried a Prog Scan yet, but I am in the process of changing to a Sony 730.

I use an HCPC into a Pan Ae200 and it is awesome, much better then SVHS or Scart [which the AE200 can do]

However, the PC is not quite as convenient, although those on that Forum can demonstrate easily how it can be.

When I get my DVD player I will post my views

9. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I used to use Theatertek with ffdshow via DVI into a 433 - excellent PQ. Now use a SDI modded Denon 2900 via a H3DII + aux card via DVI and that is even better. Pricey though.