1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommendations please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by danny-p, May 9, 2003.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a p3 700 with on-board graphics (no AGP slot) used for games and as you will of guessed is way too slow.

I'M looking To build my own PC using various parts from my old pc.
    80 GIG-HDD, Audigy 2 platinum ex s-card, 48x Plextor r\rw and 350w atx powersupply(p4 comp).

Ive been recommended to go for Athlon XP Over P4 as its cheeper and faster..

Basically id like any any recommendations on a well equipped Athlon Board and a 3GHz CPU please.
    I will be Hooking it up to my Panny plasma running on win xp pro.

Ive ordered a MSI Geforce FX5800 Ultra-Td For graphics and my remainingn budget is £450 FOR Board\ chip.

Thanks in advance.............
    Danny-p

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure it's actually true the Athlon is cheaper and faster than the P4, really. It depends on your criteria and each has its own advantages over the other anyway. Most notably for the P4 is that it's a lot easier to fit (no heart in the mouth core cracking issues because of its heat spreader) and now Hyper-Threading. Although I am using an Athlon workstation myself, the P4 comes out top in my book.

My Athlon route of choice would be ASUS A7N8X Deluxe or Epox 8RDA+ with the 'Barton' core AthlonXP 3200+ and XMS3500 memory.

For P4, I'd go for a 3.06GHz cpu with an Asus P4C800 Deluxe. It's more than a tad over your budget, but a much higher spec and probably quite a bit faster, if that's what you want.

Your 350watt PSU may not be enough horsepower for either BTW at your stipulated cpu speed, subject to what else you want to build into the system.

Hope this helps.

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Youve convinced me to take the p4 route.

Thanks for the specs Memphistopheles

4. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

For the p4 spec you gave what psu do you recommend??
    Il only be using the system for DJ (burning mixes) and games.

Thanks
    Danny-p

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I would recommend an Antec Truepower 430 (or above, maybe 500 with that spec).

Very quiet (although this is negligible seen as you bought the air turbine FX5800), and very very reliable.

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Antec is really a great PSU IMHO, but there's a 500watt QTec going cheap (I think still) at Maplin, which has 3 fan speed settings (or you could volt mod it), or even a Hiper 430watt or above which also have 3 fan speed settings, are extremely reasonably priced at EBuyer (£40 for 430watt), and reckoned as good/better than Enermax by CoolerMaster themselves.

PS If you can afford to, get x4 SATA HDDs for your ASUS board for a RAID10 array - it'll fly!!