Recommendations please.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just spent some wedge on a gaming PC and was wondering what 5 games you would class as essential purchases. The only game I have for it so far is Warhammer 40,000 Dawn if war. Are there any great, cheap, games from the last couple of years which I have missed? cheers.

You need to say what you like! Its a big market out there :)

I'm a BIG fan of www.eve-online.com but, its not for kids and is VERY dificult to get to grips with. Once you do though ... Cooor is it a cool game! If you remember playing Elite from 15 years ago then you will like this, it was inspired by it and contains many things from it.

Far Cry.
Half Life 1 and 2.

Monty Burns said:
You need to say what you like! Its a big market out there :)

I'm a BIG fan of www.eve-online.com but, its not for kids and is VERY dificult to get to grips with. Once you do though ... Cooor is it a cool game! If you remember playing Elite from 15 years ago then you will like this, it was inspired by it and contains many things from it.

Eve is great, but I would say that you really, really need to play through the WHOLE tutorial (which takes about 4 hours) to make sure you know what you are doing in even a basic way. Graphics are cool and the scope to do what you want is massive, though to some it can appear unfocused, as there are no 'levels' as such.

Yeah, we need more guidance here! Off the top of my head, the ones I've enjoyed most recently are:

FPS: Half-Life 2, Far Cry
Driving: GTR
Management: Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Locomotion, Football Manager 2005
Online: EVE (though way too deep for me,I enjoyed the experience), Battlefield 2
Strategy: Rise of Nations
Simulation: Silent Hunter III, Flight Simulator 2004

All of these I've spotted at reduced price recently (except Battlefield 2 - but that's so ace it was worth putting in).

far cry : lush scenery & some of the best visuals ever seen in a game, A.I is amazing and its the best FPS ive had the joy to play and complete. testiment to it is ive completed it 18 months ago and still have it installed to show off my projector :) same applies to HL2
half life 2 : for the sheer experience of it, nearly all of this game is perfection bar the weapons and rushed ending but dont let that put you off.
splinter cell chaos theory : as its just sheer beauty to look at and a darn fine game with online co-op
BattleField 2 : MP probably at its best when played right
Star Wars Knights Of the old republic : some of the best story telling in a game ever (just recently finished it :) )

all i can think of off hand

eek i should be shot for this but i forgot something as i pressed post. Call of Duty and its expansion pack. this is the pinacle of WWII games and its just a joy to play :thumbsup:

yeah, I should have realised that my post was a bit vague but I haven't had a gaming PC for a while so wanted ideas as to what your favourite games of the last 2-3 years were...

I will be getting Far Cry for the Xbox this week anyway so that will do for that one.

I am also interested in a MMORPG but wouldn't want one that eats your whole life away.

Think I will go for Half Life 2 though, it looks interesting.

Any comments on Sid Meier's Pirates as that is one which looks quite interesting...

...I am also looking at a game called The Movies as a potential purchase in November. Not being up on my forthcoming PC games, what is the buzz (if any) on this title?

Decadence said:
I will be getting Far Cry for the Xbox this week anyway so that will do for that one.

from what ive heard about it through demo impressions its best you get the Pc version. this can be picked up for about 9.99 and it will look far superior to the xbox version, but its you choice. also you get to play with KB+mouse combo instead of Pad. for MMORPG probably got to be World Of Warcraft. ive never played it nor do i want to as i hate this sort of thing but in that area its all people mention so it must be good

I would add to strategy games:

- Rome Total War (with the expansion pack coming out next week)
- Civilization IV (coming out in 4 weeks)

Kopite4Ever said:
from what ive heard about it through demo impressions its best you get the Pc version. this can be picked up for about 9.99 and it will look far superior to the xbox version, but its you choice.

I understand what you mean about the graphics on the PC Far Cry etc. but I am getting it so that I can xbox live it with my mates...although the price diference does bug me a bit.

Diablo II is going back 5 years at least but that and the expansion pack worth picking up in the budget range. If you look in the “search” a number of people have recently bught it and been pleased.
Iv seen Thief III going for £10 and that contains one of the scariest levels in a game, in fact there a number of times you heart will be racing in this game.

If you want to spend your dosh and loose your life get World Of Warcraft it is the largest game of it sort out there. It has no real ending but a series of quest, and Blizzard are adding new areas to play in.

Psychonauts - Comedy 3D adventure game in the vein of Grim Fandango except its third person

Fahrenheit - Murder mystery 3d adventure, just released, what you do in the game affects the outcome

Half Life 2 - needs no introduction :)

Thanks chaps, the Thief game does look interesting, I might give that a go...cheers Garrett. Just had a look at Psychonauts too, that looks diferent so I will have a look on ebay for it!

its not out in the UK yet BTW

there are a couple of copies on Ebay which I may have a pop at...

Decadence said:
I am also interested in a MMORPG but wouldn't want one that eats your whole life away.

In that case Eve-Online may well be right up your street. There is no "level grind" in this, all skill training is time based. For example, both my accounts are training various long term skills (that take just over a month) as I moved to Germany and am between adsl connections.

As mentioned by myself and others, its NOT an easy game to start with though. It's definetley adult (very few kids have the patience) and is very complex but VERY rewarding.

How much does Eve Online cost to subscribe to? I used to play Ultima Online around 5 years ago but found it a bit tedious...is this similar to that? Thanks.

Decadence said:
How much does Eve Online cost to subscribe to? I used to play Ultima Online around 5 years ago but found it a bit tedious...is this similar to that? Thanks.

Heya

no, Eve-Online is nothing like Ultima. (I tried Ultima as well).

Eve-Online is much more sophisticated. If you ever played the game legend that was "Elite" then you will be very familiar with Eve but, with an MMO aspect to it.

Unlike other MMO's there is no "level grind". You simply look at the next skill you wish to train and the system tells you it will take x days, x mins and x seconds to train it. Training is done on or off-line. You do not need to play to train, just have a valid subscription and sign in to start it training on a skill :thumbsup:

Whilst there is no level grind there is the problem of money ... pah even sucks in games eh! There are however lots of ways to make money. You can mine, hunt NPC ships, pirate (human victims), bounty hunt (human victims), research - manufacture - and sell equipment, refine ores and sell, join huge fleets and be a mercenary, be a mission runner or even be a scammer! Yes in Eve you can be as evil or as nice as you like as long as you do it within the mechanics and the spirit of the game. The rule book even tells you Eve is a dark place ;) Just as an example, one VERY big scam in Eve even made the PC gaming magazines. It took one group of scammers around 6 months to a year to infiltrate one of the big rich corporations, then one day this corp logged in to find almost all its equipment, money and ores stolen! CCP (the games makers) did nothing to stop this or remedy it and in-fact said that it was all done fairly :D

Now there is a big contract out on these guys heads :D

People will tell you that Eve is a mining simulator, these people never got themselves out of the easy newbie stage. Mining is introduced to you, just like mission running/agents in the tutorial and as such I guess some people found it an easy way to make quick money - which it is. But, I guess they let it rule there Eve experience. I know many people who have not touched a mining laser in months and months - myself included! :)

The important thing to remember is that Eve is heavily into politics and combat. When your having a look around the site i believe you can read the forums, check out the Corporations and Alliances channels.

Eve is just to detailed to go into in a forum post, your best bet is to check out www.eve-online.com and have a look around. I believe there is a free trial as well ... at least there used to be.

I would love to help you through your Eve experience but sadly, im currently without an ADSL link - I just moved to Germany - so am unable to play :thumbsdow I hope to be back in game in about 2 or maybe 3 weeks. If youve found it fun then I can probably hook you up into MASS (a very prominent and one of the oldest corps in the game).

Somehow, Eve does not push your gfx card yet it looks truley stunning. Get out into space, find some combat going on and look at Torpedo's exploding or find a Player built structure, or look at the sun in the background to your ship .... so many examples, too many to list....

Oh and Eve has the unofficial world record for most players on a single MMO shard (it only has the one) of around 13000. More usualy in GMT evenings its around 9 to 10000, peeking at 13000 ish on Sunday EVEnings.

Have a great experience and enjoy which ever games you choose to play, not much point in playing them otherwise!

*edit* Cost? Dunno ... I just pay it.. sorry to be no use on this bit.

sounds really interesting...thanks very much...I will look into it further, I love Elite, in fact I still play it on my Amiga!

Decadence said:
sounds really interesting...thanks very much...I will look into it further, I love Elite, in fact I still play it on my Amiga!

Don't man ... im trying to concentrate at work here and your bringing a tear to my eye :blush: I miss my Eve ..... :D

See you in a couple of weeks! Send me an EVEMail (Same name in Eve as here) if you want any help/assistance and as soon as I'm on I will do all I can to help you.

Good luck and be patient with it, its worth it :thumbsup:

ha! sorry...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom