Recommendations please..

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by offitmassive, Mar 9, 2013.

1. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Im unsure on how I should proceed with my current pc (listed in my signature). Do I...

A) Keep as is, but just install either a SATA II SSD or use SATA III SSD on my SATA II ports ( and with money saved from not buying intel get a hotter gpu?) Cant to crossfire btw... i dont think???? and increase to 16gb ram

B) Upgrade to a i5-750/60 and go for (I think) a P55 mobo and SATA II SSD or use SATA III SSD on the SATA II ports and increase to 16gb ram

C) Upgrade to i7-860 with relevant mobo and SATA II SSD or use SATA III SSD on the SATA II ports and increase to 16gb ram

D) Upgrade to a i5-2400 with a Z68 board. with SSD SATA III and increase to 16gb ram

Uses are for mild gaming but if PC is good enough it could well be my main game thingy., I decompress .mkv and .x264 files few times a week, general web browsing

2. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Getting a SATA3 SSD won't be a good idea as it will only run at SATA2 speed, unless ofc you upgrade motherboard that supports SATA3.

I wouldn't go with Option B and C because they are old CPUs

I'm unsure what your budget is but for £150 you can pick up a AMD FX-8350 which will be great for decompressing etc combined with a 990X/FX chipset motherboard.

Again in Option D you have listed a previous generation CPU. The current generation known as Ivy Bridge would be a good option, so for for £150 you could pick up an Intel i5 3470 along with a Z77 Chipset motherboard for £80.

SSD wise I would look to buy the Crucial M4 or Samsung 840 :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Well i saw the prices of the 3rd generation intels and (coming from previous AMD only builds) the prices scared me! so i looked into 1st and 2nd generation of said cpu's.

is the i5 3470 much of an upgrade from a phenom 965 for decompression etc? or is that classed as multi threading as its decompressing many files at once?

the fx cpu any good?? ive not even thought about amd anymore as i thought they were basically dead and buried...

think it might have been you actually who recommended a samsung pro SSD.. ive got that bookmarked ready, im just trying to finally decide on the cpu and board now, to then help me pick ram etc

4. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Well looks like it's a mix between FX-6300, FX-8350 or i5 3470 :p

Here's a comparison between the latter and the Phenom 965BE:
    AnandTech | Bench - CPU

i5 3470 vs FX-8350 :
    AnandTech | Bench - CPU

So you can see overall the 3470 is better, especially at games and competes with regards to other tasks. Also it will use less power than the FX-8350, so looks like the pendant is swinging towards Intel :p

Also not sure if you're still going with a GPU but as I've upgraded recently, I will be selling my Radeon 6870 if you're interested

5. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    yeh i think..pretty sure im gunning for a 3470. Found a MSI Z77A-G43 for it too at approx £70. Ive got an ok-ish GPU already...asus 6770. But thanks anyway :smashin:

gotta go looking for some well priced RAM now... then starting the shopping :)

Dont suppose you know much of ps3mediaserver do ya?!

6. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
  7. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Well I use ps3mediaserver on my pc, and now and again the sound goes, get bad lip sync too at times, will check out gigabyte too, and gonna look at ram now.

8. offitmassive

offitmassive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Anyway, been looking (and thinking) the 3470 isnt really OC'able..and im not too fussed if its locked or not, Im trying to keep costs reasonable then try to make as much back on my current build... I dont really have any intention of crossfire/sli either, so wouldnt a H77 board be better suited??? I mean if the H77 and Z77 are closely priced then of course I'll pick the Z77, but if theres even just £20 or more in difference, I'll pick the H77