Recommendations on new projector for Toshiba HD-A1

K

krays

Hi guys wonder if anyone can help me with this dilemma. I am upgrading my aging Sanyo Z2 projector for either a Sanyo Z4 or Hitachi PJTX200. I loved my Z2 but just after the second year it had to have new panels just after the warranty ran out. I wish the Sanyo range had a 3 year warranty then as this was expensive.

But any way I digress, the reason I am upgrading is that I have recently purchased a Toshiba HD-A1 player and it is unfortunate but it doesn’t work on my Z2 through the DVI socket. I have used a Panasonic S97 up scaling player through the DVI socket of my Z2 using a DVI to HDMI cable so I know the socket and cable are fine but the new Toshiba is having problems with it.

So I have decided to bite the bullet and just get another projector as it could be ages for Toshiba to fix this issue that’s of course if they ever do.
So has anyone got one of these players and either a Z4 or TX200 who could advise me on how well they perform together? Your help and suggestions would be much appreciated. Just thought I would mention DLP is out I had a DLP and couldn’t get to the end of any movie because of it giving me headaches and I see rainbows big time.

Once again thanks for your time and thanks for reading my drivel.
Regards,
Krays.

Hi krays. i'm not 100% convinced with the TX200. don't get me wrong, together with the HD-A1, it can put out a very nice picture, but i notice a lot of aliasing (jagged edges) to the image that spoils it a bit (most noticeable on 235 transfers - 185s are much better). i'm assuming this has to be down to the projectors scaling (1080 -> 720). i used to have an HTPC connected to the TX, feeding it a 720 signal, playing 1080 TS files (i.e. the HTPC was doing the scaling), and i don't remember this amount of aliasing.

mind you, i'm watching on a 120 inch screen and about 1.2/1.3 screen widths away. maybe a bit too near, but as i said, i didn't have this problem with the HTPC.

it's a shame the 720 output doesn't work on the tosh.

if you're watching on a smaller screen or sitting further back, it might not be a problem for you.

Thanks Andy I have just ordered the TX200 (couldn’t wait any longer lol) online but I have been assured that if I don’t like what I see I will be able to get a full refund within 7 days of delivery so I guess you can’t say fairer than that.

I will certainly look out for what you have pointed out to me. I got it for under a thousand as well I so was pleased with the price.

I know what you mean about the Tosh and 720 it looks awful compared to 1080 which is a shame. I guess your right it would have been better seeing as the TX200 is 1280 * 720 same as my old Z2 with my Panasonic S97 up scaling to 720 it just looked so much sharper than 1080i.

So I guess I will have to wait and see as the Hitachi won’t be here until Monday. Maybe the next generation of 1920 panels will be the ones we need for a perfect picture with the Tosh. I have to say my screen size will much smaller than yours I currently have a 72” wide screen that I use with my Z2 and I sit about 15 feet back from it and it looks stunning to me. The Z2 that is, so I am guessing a projector nearly three years newer should hopefully look even better.

As an after thought I guess most of the 1280*720 LCD projectors would produce much the same results with this player. If the Hitachi ends up going back I will have to drag my Tosh around the AV stores getting them to test it first lol.

What firmware do you have for the Tosh mate I did the online update the other day to 1.4 in the hope it would sort my incompatibility issues (which it didn’t lol) it was very scary and it took nearly an hour, made me sweat a bit I can tell you.

Thanks again for your reply mate I will let you know what I think as soon as I can.

Regards,
Krays.

congrats on your purchase Krays.

i've only had the projector for 6 months, but overall, it's been a very positive experience. it's not perfect, but the good outweighs the bad, and taking into account of it's price compared to other projectors, i think you'll be happy with it. more so with with HD-A1 - or any HD.

with a 72" screen, i think you'll be fine. if i reduce my screen to around the same, the aliasing takes a hike - or at least it's far less noticeable, and at 15 feet back, i don't think you'll have any problems at all. problem is i've gotten use to a bigger screen and close up, and it's hard to break away from that, so it's the price i have to pay.

i have firmware 1.2 (which came shipped with the player). only 1 crash and a few anomolies. funnily enough, all on DVDs. no problems with HD-DVDs. don't think i'll be upgrading. if it ain't broke etc ...

anyway, best of luck with your projector. keep us posted ...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom