Recommendations on my shortlist of 5 TV’s for Mum’s 72nd birthday on Saturday, please!

LeeroyB

Hi all,

I’ve been sending myself a bit crazy the past week trying to pick a TV for my Mum’s birthday, which is this Saturday, so I need to get a move on!

I’ve narrowed it down to 5 and wondered if I could have your recommendations please?

She will mostly use it for Freeview, so I was thinking a good upscaler. She will also watch things through the YouTube app and also my 4K Netflix account.

Somethings that’s easy enough to use and navigate through the apps with decent sized text, and a nice remote.
  • Sony KD-49XH8196 - £549
  • Panasonic TX-50HX580B - £420
  • Philips 50PUS9005/12 - £510. Is it correct that this one doesn’t have freeview? I thought all new TV’s do these days, or is it that they have their own version of freeview? If not I think I’ll need to exclude this one.
  • Toshiba 50UL2063DB - £380 (Appliances Direct)
  • Samsung UE55TU8500UXXU - £529. A bit of a wildcard seeing as this one’s a 55”, but it’s cheaper than what I’ve found the 50” for.
Many thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
I’d say not the Panasonic or Toshiba which will be rebadged Vestels
All UK TVs have Freeview as you say.
The Samsung TUs are much of a muchness picture wise, so you could get this in 50” with 6 year warranty

None will be much cop for HDR content unfortunately although your mum may well be happy with good old 1080p (or like my aged parents just watch the SD channels :D)

Have you perused the Best Buy guide?

LeeroyB

I’d say not the Panasonic or Toshiba which will be rebadged Vestels
All UK TVs have Freeview as you say.
The Samsung TUs are much of a muchness picture wise, so you could get this in 50” with 6 year warranty

None will be much cop for HDR content unfortunately although your mum may well be happy with good old 1080p (or like my aged parents just watch the SD channels :D)

Have you perused the Best Buy guide?
I went to see her on Saturday and she was sat there watching an SD channel, even though there was HD option. Bless her!

I hadn’t looked at the Best Buy guide to be honest with you, but I have now and I’m glad I did. It’s interesting to know that there isn’t a difference with the various TU models, like I assumed with going for one a bit more than the one you shared.

I am also wondering whether I should now go for a 55” based on what the guide says about 50”. Even though it’s still a TU model, do you think there would be any reason to consider either the 55TU7100 / 55TU7000 over the UE50TU7020?

vickster

Distinguished Member
What size is her current TV? Maybe she doesn’t want anything bigger? Especially if she watches SD, bigger at the same distance, especially a 4K TV could look (even) worse!

The Guide should also have feedback on the 55”, check it’s the same panel type (50” will be VA)

LeeroyB

What size is her current TV? Maybe she doesn’t want anything bigger? Especially if she watches SD, bigger at the same distance, especially a 4K TV could look (even) worse!

The Guide should also have feedback on the 55”, check it’s the same panel type (50” will be VA)
It’s 42” and she’s been saying for a while that she’d love a bigger one if she could afford it. I’ve got a 50” and she loves mine. But mine was £1,300 so she can’t have one of them!

I did grab the two models from the 55” section, but I’m not sure if they’d be any better purely because of them being 55” compared to another TU model in a 50”. But perhaps the 55” would be too big a step for her.

martin 39

Screenshot_20210427_050503_com.ebay.mobile.jpgi got one of these for my daughter very good for the money

bydandie

I’d really be looking at the Smart OS and making sure it’s easy to use. The Samsung fares well in that regard AFAIK.

martin 39

Yes it is i got the gx 800 last yr for my daughter it was basically brand new but i got mine for £375

vickster

Distinguished Member
But only a 1 year warranty if I’m not mistaken?
I personally like to buy brand new for presents not basically brand new :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
I got my parents a 43Tu8000 (I think around Christmas). It’s got a very decent picture on SD and HD (through Virgin) and ok sound (they’re pretty deaf so have it loud!)
It’s a good choice for the pennies

vickster

Distinguished Member
I’m sure she’ll be super pleased. Presumably you can collect before Saturday and set it up for her on her birthday :)

LeeroyB

I couldn’t get a Saturday delivery so it’ll be with her on Friday. I just need to make sure she’ll be home without giving too much away!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom