Question Recommendations on a monitor for MacBook Pro?

schmurnan

Novice Member
Looking for some of your expert guidance, please.

I’m looking for an external monitor to use with my 2017 15” MacBook Pro. I already have a Surface Laptop 3 for work, and I have a work-provided Lenovo P27 4K monitor. So I plan on getting a dual monitor arm and hooking up a monitor for personal use.

It’ll be used for coding, a bit of Netflix/streaming and everyday use — emails, browsing, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.

Whilst an ultrawide monitor is certainly appealing, I don’t think I need the extra real estate that it offers, given my use case.

So presumably a “standard” ratio, 27” 4K monitor so that both monitors on the arm are the same size.

I plan on getting a Thunderbolt 3 dock, so a USB-C monitor is a must. And 4K as opposed to 1440p to get as high a quality image as possible.

My current shortlist is as follows:

• LG 27UL850
  • Dell U2720Q
  • Dell 3219Q (of course I’m aware this isnt 27”).

I should probably mention that — once one is announced — I plan on replacing my MBP with a new M1 — 14”, 15”, 16”… whatever size Apple decide to release.

Many thanks in advance!

LSC2021

Personally I’d go with Dell, used their panel replacement guarantee and couldn’t fault them at all.

27 vs 32” is down to preference really. I find 27” far too small for my use cases (mind you I have a 48” OLED as my daily) so I would learn more to 32” but YMMV!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
If you get the right dock such as a caldigit 3 then that will have display port as well as usb c so might give you more monitor choices

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom