• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommendations on a freesat recorder

leeroywarner

Standard Member
Hi

Can I get your recommendations on a freesat recorder.

The standard answer seems to be the Humax HDR-1100S, but is there any better ones?
Also could someone give me a link to an appropriate LNB to replace a sky q one?

Thanks in advance

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi

Can I get your recommendations on a freesat recorder.

The standard answer seems to be the Humax HDR-1100S, but is there any better ones?
Also could someone give me a link to an appropriate LNB to replace a sky q one?

Thanks in advance

hdr-1100s is the only second generation box still in production so currently only choice for a new one. It's cut down from the earlier HDR-1000/1010S in that it lacks any sort of front panel display and lacks scart connections.

LNB

LATEST 2017 MK4 SKY 4 WAY QUAD LNB NEW | eBay

leeroywarner

Standard Member
hdr-1100s is the only second generation box still in production so currently only choice for a new one. It's cut down from the earlier HDR-1000/1010S in that it lacks any sort of front panel display and lacks scart connections.

LNB

LATEST 2017 MK4 SKY 4 WAY QUAD LNB NEW | eBay

Is the HDR-1100S the best and fastest? it doesn't need to be new I don't mind trawling ebay for the right thing.

Thanks for the LNB recomendation

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Is the HDR-1100S the best and fastest? it doesn't need to be new I don't mind trawling ebay for the right thing.

Thanks for the LNB recomendation

Other than the lack of a display on the 1100S all the G2 boxes share the same software so performance is the same for all the twin tuner models.

If you buy a 500GB HDR-1000S or a 500GB HDR1010s (adds built in WiFi) changing the HDD to a 2TB is a 5 minute job).

And the traditional shape means you can stack other units compared to the pie dish shaped 1100S

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST2000VM003-Pipeline-3-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B008B0RQ1C

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Humax Foxsat-HDR may be worth considering for the Custom Firmware/Nowster patch flexibility... They are quite slow nowadays at some things, though. The new non-freesat boxes I mentioned can do much of the CF things, and no encryption, I believe?

At some point freesat will have the newest G3 box available (may also be UHD)? But no-one can say when, afaik. Freesat - News - the latest updates from Freesat

Humax Direct have a -10% offer on in March ... code FREESAT10

Nostromo71

Prominent Member
Humax Direct have a -10% offer on in March ... code FREESAT10

I just tried that code but it didn't work. Where did you get it from? I checked Hot Deals UK and found that same code for use in Sept 2017 but couldn't find anything for March 2019.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I just tried that code but it didn't work. Where did you get it from? I checked Hot Deals UK and found that same code for use in Sept 2017 but couldn't find anything for March 2019.

E-mail yesterday

10% OFF
Freesat Recorders & Receivers throughout March
Use code: FREESAT10 at checkout

Nostromo71

Prominent Member
I tried it again, this time with the 500GB model instead of the 1TB but it made no difference, and I went right through the process all the way to my Paypal account for payment :(

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
See Special Offers | Humax Direct click on + to drop down the offer:

Special Offers March Madness Get 10% off marked prices on Freesat non-refurbished boxes throughout March. At checkout, enter code: FREESAT10

If code doesn't work from that page then a call or webchat with them would be in order to sort?

Nostromo71

Prominent Member
Nope, still didn't work. I even tried a different browser and copied the code from the drop down menu.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom