Recommendations Modem/Router

thumperstu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, it appears my netgear DG834PN has seen better days so looking for a replacement, im currently using my original BeBox but cant connect wirelessly at moment....
So do i stick with Netgear which has served me well or go for an alternative brand??? D-link 2740B has been mentioned, or another DGPN or possibly an 834N ????
my main pc is wired connection , then i run 2 wireless laptops and a wireless desktop, chuck in 2 wii for good measure, obvioulsy not all connected at once, the most is probably 2 pc at any 1 time, i see scan have the netgear DG834PN on offer at £55 today only.

...it appears my netgear DG834PN has seen better days...

How so? Is it phyically damaged, if not what's wrong with it? The reason I ask is that there is a common misconception that routers somehow "wear out" over time and there performance "drops off," which is not true.

Sounds to me much more like you're suffering from interference from other wifi devices. There's lots of threads here describing how to use InSSIDer to survey your wifi environment and ensure you're getting the best from it (and it will cost you nothing to check.)

hi many thanks, ive suffering dropped connections, had my line checked and replaced the router and all is fine refitted the netgear and again suffered disconnections, so i assume router is on uts way out, have had it about 3 yrs and it was used when i got it

its doubtful its the router, they either work or they dont

check the firmware is the latest - it usually needs upgrading every 6 months

other than that you have line or wireless probs - when you say it drops, is it the wireless or the ADSL - check the logs

its wired and wireless that loss connection, have updated all firmware but still the same, opted for the dgn2000 see how that goes :)

you can lose wired and wireless, but the ADSL can still be up and running .....thats what I was getting at

not to worry if youve bought new hardware ...DGN2000s are very good apparently, been developed in conjunction with some top UK ISPs anyway, so have had plenty of testing, rather than just landing in the UK from China, never having seen a UK network....like 90% of the stuff for sale here LOL ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom