1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for Video Editing Software for DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Peter Barrett, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Peter Barrett

Peter Barrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to buy a Sony RDR HX510 DVD Recorder. I want to be able to upload data into the DVD R either from my TV or old VHS tapes via my VCR and edit the resultant files.

I had thought that I could simply burn a DVD on the DVD recorder and then edit the resultant DVD by uplaoding it on my PC and editing it with some video editing software.

However, I am told that once the data is burnt to a DVD, it is in a format that cannot be broken down again into it's component parts - and therefore cannot be edited using video editing software on a PC.

Is my information correct?

Any advice? What software should I be looking at?

I am sure that I am not the only person who wants to do this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice that is available.

Peter

2. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use a 'Wintv' card inside my PC. That comes with all the software you need,put on titles the lot. Connect the vcr either via the aerial lead, or for better quality, I use a s-video cable. Save it to your PC, I have a separate 40gb hard drive, edit it with the software and then I use a program called 'Mydvd' by sonic to burn it to disk. You can have menus's etc same as dvd movies.

3. HelloShaun

HelloShaun
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF you are taking a DVD made in a recorder to your PC for editing the process is quite simple.

You will need a program like DVDdecryptor to rip the files from the disc using IFO mode. You can then edit the VOB files with NeroVisionExpress (part of the Nero Suite) and create your chapters and Menu. It works but the workspace is a bit small. The other benefit of Nero is that you can also burn your disc.

I found MPEGVideoWizard by Womble www.womble.com (30day free trial) is so easy to use and edit very smoothly and fast, lovely program, it is superb at editing without getting into the high cost arena of products like Premiere.

Many other programs can also edit your file, I've also tried ULead Movie Factory (30 day free Trial), the editing was better than Nero due to having a larger work area to see the film you are editing but not as good as Womble. The good side with ULead is that you can build Motion Menus quite easily and the cost if you want to buy after the trial is reasonable (about £40).

Ulead will burn your disc as well but I prefer Nero for that.

Good Luck

4. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Helloshaun is right and I have used all these products (except womble) However I do find the products to be limited or slightly unstable. Visionexpress is great for the very basic actions, but it looks like it will do a lot more than it actually does. I have spent many weekends frustrated by the software since it simply wouldn't finish the job, or I would get errors at the last minute. Putting in chapters can be sketchy and a bit hit and miss.

ULEAD came free with my Hauppauge PVR so I have used that, but again I have found that on the bigger files it struggles. Putting in chapters is hit and miss and the preview box to allow you to trim video and put in chapters doesn't always work, but when it does it is very good and easy - don't use it to burn though, use Nero to burn your files back to DVD.

For movie editing (from video camera) I have recently purchased the Sony Vegas studio (the basic one $120 for a boxed version FedEx'd to your house) check out: http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/ShowProduct.asp?PID=932 I have found this to be superb! The free trial is a bit poor since they have blocked key features, but it does give you an idea of what it can do. The product itself is very stable and it takes anything you throw at it. For £65 I don't think you can go wrong. This would also allow you to edit your films, but it may be a bit excessive for your needs. There is a lot said about vegas on the web and I believe that adobe Premiere is its only real rival since pinnacle is supposed to fall over a lot.

If you are thinking about editing a home movie though make sure you buy a decent piece of software since you will save yourself a hell of a lot of time - trust me, I wasted a lot trying to do it all on free trials or using visionexpress type products that were bundled in as an after thought.

If you are thinking of buying a product to help you I would really reccomend Vegas over Ulead, it is much more powerful and you get more than £25 worth of difference.

The other product you may want to check out is DVDshrink - this really goes hand in hand with DVDdecrypter and it is also free. If you are ripping a dvd to play from your harddrive and don't want to take all the extras, rip it whole with decrypter and then re-author (remove all the extra bits and different languages, etc) with shrink - this way the fast forward and rewind work perfectly.

Hope this helps.