Recommendations for up to 48” TV

Lesmond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I’m looking for recommendations for a second TV to be used in a conservatory, please?

Must haves:
  • Horizontally no wider than 1m, or diagonally 48” and wall mountable
  • Bright (so probably FALD LCD)
  • Established brand (Sony, LG, Samsung, or any other brand at same quality level)
  • Good sound from internal speakers (as it won’t be supplemented by external speakers or a sound bar)
  • Good smart TV system
  • Reasonably accurate out of the box
  • Budget £1000

Nice to have but not needed:
  • 4K or UHD (I’ll mostly use 1080p)
  • Any gaming centric features
  • Option for a white bezel (or virtually bezel-less ideally)
  • Something on a Black Friday deal or a good bargain!

I have a Sony OLED as my primary TV in the living room, so I’m not sure if there is any value of having multiple Bravias in the house. I’ll be happy with LG WebOS as it’s supposed to be good, but if the Samsungs are noticeably brighter, I may try one of those.

In short, needs to fit, have a bright picture for a bright room, good standalone sound, decent smart TV capabilities.

Thank you!

the 48 inch C1 maybe in budget.

if not this sony

TVs sold smaller than 55" have reduced brightness than the same models at larger sizes. Samsung QN90A or QN94A will be brightest at 50", followed by the Sony 50X90J. Sadly these TVs fall just short of a 1000 nits which is recommended as a minimum for HDR use on LCD TVs. This may mean the picture looks too dark in certain titles.
  • Good sound from internal speakers (as it won’t be supplemented by external speakers or a sound bar)
Also something reserved for larger TVs I'm afraid, expect to budget in a soundbar or sound system for better built in sound.

I haven't seen a TV with a white bezel for years. Most have really thin bezels now.

you need to go with a 43 inch LED tv then and they are not as good as the ones I have posted.

I stumbled across this white surround 43" LG which also meets the width restriction (only 43" TVs will) and brand you are after:

Might not be as bright as you need though, but hey its a lot cheaper!

I stumbled across this white surround 43" LG which also meets the width restriction (only 43" TVs will) and brand you are after:

Might not be as bright as you need though, but hey its a lot cheaper!
Thanks, brightness needs to outweigh aesthetics.

I’ve shortlisted 43” Samsung QN90A vs. 48” LG C1, but still concerned about brightness between the two at those sizes.

@Dodgexander Your thoughts on perceived brightness at those sizes, in theory at least?

Thanks.

Its not worth considering the smaller LCD TVs because they don't get as bright.
Forgive me but I’m not sure I follow the logic.
Are you referring to total light output because they don’t have the quantity of mini leds due to size of panel, but they have the same type of leds?
If that is the case, for a given square inch of panel the brightness would be same irrespective of what size panel it’s part of?
Why wouldn’t that be the case for OLED too?

Smaller size LCD TVs get crippled by manufacturers and are not to the same specs as larger ones.

OLEDs are the same across the range, so a 77" LG C1 is the same as a 48" version.

They could make smaller LCD TVs as bright if they wanted too, but they don't. So buy buying the QN94A Samsung at smaller than 55" you are essentially getting a TV more similar to the 55" Q80A than the 55" QN94A.

If you can make it fit....Sony 49xh9505... few left at John Lewis.... approx £750 if you can find one near you. Their website was store checker....

They could make smaller LCD TVs as bright if they wanted too, but they don't. So buy buying the QN94A Samsung at smaller than 55" you are essentially getting a TV more similar to the 55" Q80A than the 55" QN94A.

i pulled the trigger on the Samsung but I’m tempted to get a C1 from Costco at a good price this Black Friday and compare them side by side….

Hi everyone

I’m looking for recommendations for a second TV to be used in a conservatory, please?

Must haves:
  • Horizontally no wider than 1m, or diagonally 48” and wall mountable
  • Established brand (Sony, LG, Samsung, or any other brand at same quality level)
  • Good smart TV system
  • Reasonably accurate out of the box
  • Budget £1000

Nice to have but not needed:
  • 4K or UHD (I’ll mostly use 1080p)
  • Any gaming centric features
  • Option for a white bezel (or virtually bezel-less ideally)
  • Something on a Black Friday deal or a good bargain!

I have a Sony OLED as my primary TV in the living room, so I’m not sure if there is any value of having multiple Bravias in the house. I’ll be happy with LG WebOS as it’s supposed to be good, but if the Samsungs are noticeably brighter, I may try one of those.

In short, needs to fit, have a bright picture for a bright room, good standalone sound, decent smart TV capabilities.

Thank you!
I can recommend you LG OLED48A16LA. oled, 48 in., 4k uhd, LG WebOs, good quality of sound (2 Dolby Atmos speakers). I have the same one in my living room. Love to watch different space videos on it, because it has a great variety of colors. The price is almost £1000. Also recommend you to watch Interstellar on it, it's such a pleasure!

I have a 48” OLED and a Sony 43X800E. The OLED is definitely in a class of its own, but if you don’t watch your TV with the lights off the 43X800E is also a phenomenal TV. I was totally satisfied with the 43” TV, but had to buy the OLED because I had to have the best. If you study TVs and have the money to spend I would just buy an OLED otherwise you will always be dreaming because there is a TV out there that has unlimited contrast and viewing angle that is better than the TV your watching.

I can recommend you LG OLED48A16LA. oled, 48 in., 4k uhd, LG WebOs, good quality of sound (2 Dolby Atmos speakers). I have the same one in my living room. Love to watch different space videos on it, because it has a great variety of colors. The price is almost £1000. Also recommend you to watch Interstellar on it, it's such a pleasure!
Too big. I have a 65” Sony OLED for the living room.

It's 48". You titled the thread up to 48".

So you actually want a 43" then?

I would agree that the 48A1 is not what you need though as it's less bright than the C1.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom