Recommendations for the best home alarm system (and later installers)

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by fanta1973, Mar 4, 2013.

1. fanta1973

fanta1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i am looking to replace my outdated Burglar Alarm and well due to the fact i am Mr DIYincapable ,am hoping to get one professionally installed.
    i do not know much about the systems so am looking for information about your opinions of the better systems
    thing is i have traulled my yellow pages and it seems like 90 percent of the numbers operate out of their home so i am unsure wrt safety. My main requirement is an alarm installation company with van and shop/office that uses a quality alarm. i would only need a seperate keypad aswell as control box and 4 pirs (or 3 plus 1 contact) with independent zone isolating. my current system is a wired system so i was hoping that wiring might be able to be used but if not was still thinking of a wired system 'bells only' (ie no monitoring). obviously i cannot give address details but i am in the east yorkshire area.
    i think a national installer might be the best option but do they only do monitored??
    secondly, well i am interested to know what the cost of the best home burglar alarm systems are in your opinions (incl. likely installation)?
    if anyone savvy in the home security industry reads this i have another question as regards systems but not wanting to go off on a tangent well lol thats enough for now.
    hope you chaps can supply me with a few replies so i can do a bit of weighing up.

thanks all.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Check here National Security Inspectorate for local installers in your area, they will be approved and give you the best advise. Do not sign up with a national! and get 3 quotes! :smashin:

3. fanta1973

fanta1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice, its appreciated :)
    also thanks for the link. the thing i find strange is why so many locals are operating out of their home and those that i 'google earth' in my area have tatty shops with weeds growing on the forecourt. What if they disappear in the night or a bit more realistically what if they go out of business? the one saviour is the link you provided which gives some credance to the fact they are an actual company but i looked at one location and im not reassured. national companies have big offices and guaranteed logoed vans.
    what do others think and what are the best, most reliable wired alarm systems?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. pgtips FRS

pgtips FRS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had a texecom premier 48 with Elite keypad fitted. I can connect to it via my home network to change the programs using the wintex software and comip Module. it has proxy fob etc....im very impressed so far but it has only been fitted a week!

I just moved in so had it all hard wired in, not sure i trust wireless alarms and cant be doing with changing batterys all the time ;)

*edited* to say it also calls me on my mobile when the alarm is triggered, if i dont answer it calls the mrs, then my brother and so on until someone Acknowledges the alarm is going off

5. wysinawyg

wysinawyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    If they're good and in demand they will be spending all of their time out at people's properties installing and maintaining burglar alarms. Why on earth would you be wanting to pay for them to have a posh shop and somebody inside it all of the time? Would you refuse to hire a plumber or electrician just because they don't have a retail (or any) shop?

Which is all overheads you're paying for when they come round in their shiny uniforms to quote.

Security wise I would have thought it is even more of a risk. Compare and contrast someone who lives locally with 10 years experience setting up and knowing the intimate details of your alarm with someone whose been employed for six months at a big national company and then moves on giving all the details to his mate down the pub. A big national company may have more chance of being around in another 10 years time but there is much less chance that the bloke who installed and knows all the details of your alarm will be still with them. I also suspect you'll get hard sell over monitoring because thats just the way big companies tend to operate.

6. fanta1973

fanta1973
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see what you are saying. However the security industry's prime aim has to be to inspire trust. When people are burgled, im sure they feel vulnerable and insecure. Saying you should trust someone local more than a national company because they are near you i believe is wrong- why not get your next door neighbour to fit it for you or your best friend. Now if that person had a nice shop or office where you could sit, have a cup of coffee and discuss what would be fitted, etc and they arrived in a nice van, you have reassurance that it is not a fly by night outfit and someone you can more likely trust.
    Now im not saying a national company is better than local, it may seem that i am but if the local has a shop/office and van it is preferrable to me as it garnishes trust. Only reason i am thinking of going national is im having difficulty finding locals which meet this.
    Do national companies also fit unmonitored standalone alarms? If so which are the better national companies?
    @pgtips thanks for the recommendation, i will have a look at it.