• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommendations for stuff to wear down the gym?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Can you help please?

I've just started going down the gym this month and I've dug out what I think is appropriate kit, however it's probably been about 15 years ago since I've worn this sort of stuff, and it's all a bit nipped :eek:, I think I need to buy some new kit.
The main thing of concern is... what do you wear below...
I've been wearing some Adidas shorts that I suspect are actually swimming trunks. They have a sort of white mesh liner, are they swimming trunks? I've not worn anything underneath these - and they do chafe [-]a bit[/-] a lot. :(
Should I buy something like football shorts? Do you normally wear undies under your shorts at the gym?
I'm just a bit embarrassed to ask whilst I'm there, silly I know. :blush:

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Shorts with underpants are fine for the gym ..... as you say the other type can chafe a bit. I do use swim shorts like you describe most of the time as once I have exercised I go for a swim / sauna and therefore save the hassle of changing.

jp_bl_68

Shorts with underpants are fine for the gym
This. You could substitute pants for speedos if you're worried about things being too........dangly :D

If ever I buy a pair of shorts with that meshing inside them I just cut it out. Can't see the point in the stuff.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
This. You could substitute pants for speedos if you're worried about things being too........dangly :D

If ever I buy a pair of shorts with that meshing inside them I just cut it out. Can't see the point in the stuff.

The point is that it keeps you all in check but doesn't stop you from having a dip in the pool. Swim shorts for me in the gym, if you're having problems with chafing then get out the vaseline!!

Steven

Senior Moderator
Wear boxers and not "Calvin Klein's", if you get my drift. For the love of God and for your fellow gym goers, do not go commando :eek: - lest you also get reported(!) It'd be embarrassing for staff to have a quiet word and embarrassing for you. Professional gyms will have a rule against it, I have seen men being told to put their shirt on again

Athletic shorts can have a mesh inside, so not automatically swimming but really you should be able to work it out from the material :p It is also acceptable to cut the mesh for comfort

Wear a "wicking" t-shirt, long sleeve or short sleeve as preferred. Hell even an old footy top would suffice. Most gyms are air conditioned to be optimum as relative to the current season. So whether it is 25*c or 2.5*c outside does not matter :) Avoid cotton, unless you are deliberately intending to sweat it off but you will only make yourself unnecessarily uncomfortable

Last edited:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Never realised there was such gym etiquette on clothing!

I wear a raggedy torn t-shirt, because it was torn by a fella I regularly spar with in the gym and I see no point in wearing a better one and have him rip that too!

I wore it in London recently when training with Randy Couture (UFC Fighter and star of the Expendables). Must admit I was a bit ashamed putting that pic on facebook etc but then remembered I don't give a hoot what I look like, (luckily).

I do wear good shorts though, not cheap nasty ones. As for the question of nags, I have to wear underwear under shorts for 2 reasons;

1 - Last thing anyone wants to see when grappling is someone's nuts staring back at them.

2 - I usually wear a cup and it's just more comfortable wearing boxers underneath.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Sorry to be naive, but what's that?

Like a box that cricketers wear, only more flexible. Just in case I take a kick in the balls!

Attachments

• jh.jpg
    jh.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 214

Solar

Some underwear that keep your nads still, a pair of joggers, a t-shirt and a decent pair of running trainers, no one should "need" any fancy kit :confused:

mjn

Distinguished Member

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
This is the sort of outfit you should be wearing...

Attachments

• MrMotivator.jpg
    MrMotivator.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 350

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I do use swim shorts like you describe most of the time as once I have exercised I go for a swim / sauna and therefore save the hassle of changing.

Thanks, I think that's the answer I'm looking for. :smashin:

I'm really enjoying going for a quick swim after being in the gym, so I think I'll just replace the stuff I've got (~15 years old and ill-fitting :blush:).

Thanks.

def

Look for Nike Pro or Nike Dri-fit. You'll find a lot of the Nike basketball gear is good for the gym too. Underarmour is very good but for a different purpose.

If you're lifting weights make sure you get some weight gloves, otherwise you'll get painful callouses on your hands very quickly in this weather.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I just chuck on any old t-shirt along with a pair of shorts or tracksuit bottoms. Nothing special for my gym visits.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Nothing worse than someone sweating out in the gym and then getting in the pool with the same shorts.

Hmmmm ... not really sure that you sweat that much in the areas you are concerned about, anyway gym etiquette means that you shower before you get in the pool / sauna so thats not an issue at all.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Maybe it is a matter of personal hygiene. If I run for an hour everything is certainly sweaty and a 10 second pre-swim shower is certainly not going to alleviate that.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom