• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Recommendations for stereo amp to add to existing surround setup .

joffy1780

Hi guys, after a bit of advice please.
Currently looking at adding an integrated amp for better stereo listening.
Would be used to drive KEF Q750s.
Must have a HT Bypass and I'm looking at a max budget of £1k (wouldn't mind going second hand as it opens other options) My avr is a Denon 3600.
Looking around this price range, there are a lot of options.
I was leaning towards the Cyrus one HD, but I've heard they don't pair well with KEFs 🙄.
Other options are Naim 5si, Musical Fidelity m3si, Audiolab 8300a, various Arcams, or a Roksan K3.
Going for something like a used Naim 5si would set me back something like £700 and would leave my a little budget for a DAC as well, but it starts to get messy at this point and I think I'd prefer to have the ability to either stream direct to the amp, or at least have a digital input of some sort.
Any advice, thoughts or alternatives would be very much appreciated 🙏.

D

Deleted member 39241

If you are going to be buying an external DAC anyway, I would get that first and try it into your Denon 3600, putting the Denon in pure direct mode. You never know, it might be good enough.

If not, the Musical Fidelity amps do sound really good, so I would recommend them.

joffy1780

If you are going to be buying an external DAC anyway, I would get that first and try it into your Denon 3600, putting the Denon in pure direct mode. You never know, it might be good enough.

If not, the Musical Fidelity amps do sound really good, so I would recommend them.
Thanks, I'd never thought of trying that first, tbh, but I'd prefer to not to go with a separate DAC, ideally.
Also, an additional 2 channels of power would enable me to go from 5.1.4 to 7.1.4 in the future, if space allowed.
Thanks for recommendation though, much appreciated.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
A stereo integrated amp won't give you more channels on your avr, the left/right on the avr can't be reused someplace else.

joffy1780

A stereo integrated amp won't give you more channels on your avr, the left/right on the avr can't be reused someplace else.
You're quite correct, didn't think of that as I'd been looking at a power amp to go 7.1.4 but then changed course down this route.
I don't have the space for 7.1 really, so not so bothered about that.

gibbsy

joffy1780

Thank you mate, I've been using that to get to my shortlist. Saved me an age already 👍🏻

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It's a shame that your budget doesn't stretch to the new Lyngdorf TDAi-1120 (as you're looking at a new amp plus DAC) as this has all the features you could want in one box. It can be used for HT-bypass, it has a fantastic DAC, If you're using a PC, the competition is few and far between as the software is fantastically written enabling you to get the best out if it plus you can even add a turntable and not forgetting the streaming features or that it has room perfect included plus an ARC HDMI to making it quite the all rounder and I would say, some of its competition will be looking at this model scratching their heads trying to figure out what they have to bring to the table to better it

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
It's a shame that your budget doesn't stretch to the new Lyngdorf TDAi-1120 (as you're looking at a new amp plus DAC) as this has all the features you could want in one box. It can be used for HT-bypass, it has a fantastic DAC, If you're using a PC, the competition is few and far between as the software is fantastically written enabling you to get the best out if it plus you can even add a turntable and not forgetting the streaming features or that it has room perfect included plus an ARC HDMI to making it quite the all rounder and I would say, some of its competition will be looking at this model scratching their heads trying to figure out what they have to bring to the table to better it
Except for movie use its 60W @8 ohms seems a bit underpowered for front LR duties to my eyes.
Otherwise its specs looks nice.

Last edited:

gibbsy

I have KEF speakers and use a Rega Elicit-R to drive the front R300s. KEF and Rega seem very well suited.

joffy1780

It sounds perfect, but my budget doesn't stretch that far 😩

joffy1780

I have KEF speakers and use a Rega Elicit-R to drive the front R300s. KEF and Rega seem very well suited.
I was looking at those as well, after reading your comments on another thread. I'd definitely have that on my list also, but again it is slightly over budget. If I could get one for under a grand, then that may be my first choice.

joffy1780

D

Deleted member 39241

A though, I have been down this road before, and ended up part exchanging a Denon 4400 with Musical Fidelity M3i against an Arcam AVR550. I much prefer the Arcam for movies and, with an external DAC, the Arcam is as good as the MF amp for music.

Richer Sounds are currently selling the AVR550 for a heavily discounted price, which would mean your Denon 3600 could be sold or re-purposed in another room.

Just another option!!

joffy1780

joffy1780

A though, I have been down this road before, and ended up part exchanging a Denon 4400 with Musical Fidelity M3i against an Arcam AVR550. I much prefer the Arcam for movies and, with an external DAC, the Arcam is as good as the MF amp for music.

Richer Sounds are currently selling the AVR550 for a heavily discounted price, which would mean your Denon 3600 could be sold or re-purposed in another room.

Just another option!!
I've got an Onkyo 646 gathering dust, while I sort the spare bedroom out, and I'd still need another stereo power amp with the AVR550 as I'm currently running 5.1.4

D

Deleted member 39241

I've got an Onkyo 646 gathering dust, while I sort the spare bedroom out, and I'd still need another stereo power amp with the AVR550 as I'm currently running 5.1.4
Okay. You don't seem keen, fair enough. Your onkyo could power 2 of the channels with the Arcam. I use a Behringer A800 with mine which costs under £200.

joffy1780

Okay. You don't seem keen, fair enough. Your onkyo could power 2 of the channels with the Arcam. I use a Behringer A800 with mine which costs under £200.
It's not that I'm not keen, it's just I've only had the Denon 6 months and I'm generally very happy with it, plus it would still be over budget.
The other half is not particularly happy I'm spending more as it is 😂.

D

Deleted member 39241

It's not that I'm not keen, it's just I've only had the Denon 6 months and I'm generally very happy with it, plus it would still be over budget.
The other half is not particularly happy I'm spending more as it is 😂.
Ha, understood :)

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
HT Bypass isn't essential. I'm using Audiolab 8000Q stereo analogue pre amp, ATI poweramp, Lexicon MC-8...it works just means setting input and moving the 8000Q to a predetermined and marked level.

Certainly helps with HT bypass, but will work without it.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
If you can live with the odd design, a Leema Pulse III would give you a great amp with HT bypass & DAC. Would be well under budget used.

joffy1780

HT Bypass isn't essential. I'm using Audiolab 8000Q stereo analogue pre amp, ATI poweramp, Lexicon MC-8...it works just means setting input and moving the 8000Q to a predetermined and marked level.

Certainly helps with HT bypass, but will work without it.
True, and if it were only me using the setup I'd be more inclined to go down that route, but there is no way the rest of the family could work it out. I get complaints that it's too complicated at the minute and all you have to do is press watch TV on my harmony remote 🤦‍♂️

joffy1780

If you can live with the odd design, a Leema Pulse III would give you a great amp with HT bypass & DAC. Would be well under budget used.
I'm not too fussed about how it looks, although it does like an old cable box 🤔, I'll add that to my list

sunilv

Standard Member
Came across a used Marantz PM8003 now.
Question: Does it support 'HT Bypass'? The list at Audiophile.no has mentioned PM8004, PM8005 etc., but not PM8003.
Can anyone confirm please?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom