Recommendations for small budget

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by torvalds, Jan 19, 2008.

1. torvalds

torvalds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    What else will you need to connect to it?

These low end all-in-one systems are usually very poor on external inputs as if all you want hear is the DVD player that it comes with then they will work as advertised, on the other hand if you have plans to hook up Sky HD, a PS3 and an Xbox then you are going to struggle.

Can't say the sound quality is going to be fantastic but then for £250 you will not be expecting a miracle I'm sure :)

These systems are not something you can buy then upgrade in stages but they will do until you feel the need for something better at which point you'll need to replace the whole thing speakers and all.

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I would look at the likes of the Yamaha 4101, Sony HT-DDW890, Sony HT-SF1100 etc. These don't come with DVD players built in but do have a few external inputs, usually 2 optical and 1 co-axial as a general rule. Pixmania has a few under amp and speaker sets.

Don't rule out a 2nd hand amp. There are bargains galore at the minute as every man and his dog is ditching their high end quality amps in favour of HDMI units, so if you can live without HDMI switching or HD audio (via HDMI) check the classifieds and ebay for amps. Look for the usual brands like Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer and you won't go far wrong. I've seen Denon 38* series and Yamaha DSP-A2 going for a song at the minute and I actually contemplated buying one for a little project as the price was just too good to miss. I didn't though! I don't know if I would buy speakers second hand off ebay though, the classifieds on here would probably be safe enough but there are a couple of budget options that keep appearing on here like the Jamo A102 HCS5 or Mordaunt Short Premiere. Those coupled with pretty much any av receiver would blow any all-in-one system out of the water.

4. majorwedgy

majorwedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106