Question Recommendations for PC speakers for music

Z

zapp8rannigan

Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations for 2.0 / 2.1 PC speakers, budget around £150 (but open to above that if they're really good)

I currently have a pair of Creative Gigaworks T40 II's but these need replacing as I'm having power issues where the lead needs to be connected and disconnected until both speakers turn on properly.

I was looking at the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III (currently £99) but going by the reviews on Amazon (link below) these suffer the same problem as my T40's

Harman/Kardon Soundsticks III LED Desktop Wired Speaker System - Transparent: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

One thing that does surprise me is no one else has mentioned my problem on the T40 listing so I'm wondering if its just a one off and I should give Creative another chance and maybe get the T50's (currently £143 below) although I don't need NFC or Bluetooth so I'm probably going to be paying a premium for something I wouldn't really use often.

Creative T50 Wireless Bluetooth NFC Speaker: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

I've also looked at the M-Audio AV40 (can't find them on Amazon anymore for some reason) which seemed to be highly regarded but I'm thinking they might be a little too "good" for my needs, I'm not really looking for studio quality as

Can anybody recommend something else?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I'm not a fan of PC speakers, they tend to be looks over quality.

For the past few years I've had these on my PC and they are far better than far more expensive PC speakers. No subwoofer included but one can be added if required.
Edirol MA7A Blue Powered Speakers

If music played from the PC is important to you then I would go for the M-Audio AV40's, MA7A's or similar as they do make a big difference to the sound quality over any PC speakers I have listened to.

Mark.

Yeah I had looked at the M-Audio but they are so bloody ugly and that volume knob being on the back was a bit of a deal breaker.

I'd love to hook my PC up to a Hi-Fi (if i had one!) but I'm not sure I have the space..

If there's a "fault" with yr speakers, have you tried contacting the MFr?
It may be a "known issue" due to faulty soldering during one batch...or poor connectors.... presumably the power supply is a separate plug-in and that's OK .... but the speaker may just need resoldering - something a Computer Shop might do for a "good customer"
Creative:
If there's a chance you'll buy something from them - maybe they will like to know - Too many people just throw stuff away.

Whilst I agree with others re PC speaker quality . . . they are usually "Good Enough" and modern amplified speakers do make a reasonable job of things . . . however, my arrangement FWIW is to feed the Video card into my TV, via HDMI so the TV sound is used - this is a separate amplifier and JPW bookshelf speakers - however, I'm hoping to add a self-build 10" Sub with a dedicated amp + filter to cover 20-80Hz where bookshelf speakers fear to go.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom