Recommendations for non-video-switching amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MichaelJP, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MichaelJP

MichaelJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to get a good integrated amplifier that has lots of inputs, DD/DTS decoding etc. but I do not need video switching, as everything on that side plugs nicely directly into my plasma.

Is there anything out there that does this without me wasting money on video routing features? Or do all the decent amps come with it by default?

Thanks for any guidance.

- Michael

2. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    It's pretty much there by default Michael, some have better switching features than others but if this is irrelevant to you then it means you can simply ignore that factor when comparing models. There's no money to be saved and you might potentially lose out on a very good amplifier since the better ones by their nature will also have better video switching facilities!

Much more important to consider quality of audio, ability to process signals like DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPLIIx, number of audio channels (e.g. 7.1 rather than just 5.1 if you will use it), ability with music as well as movies (again if relevant), power etc.

HTH

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Non-video switching amps are mostly high-end models, e.g. Myryad, Bryston and the like.
    There price is likely higher than the best integrated AV amp (with video switching).

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What is your budget here MichealJP? What is it mostly going to be used for, music or movies?

5. MichaelJP

MichaelJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After some delay... for some reason the forum didn't alert me to any replies!

Anyway to answer on the budget side, I was looking <£1000, and the idea is to replace my Yamaha DSP-A1 which has given years of good service but has given up decoding digital signals. My mix is 50/50 movies and music, so would like good performance on both.

Thanks,
    - Michael

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Teh the obviousl recommendations are the Yamaha 1400/2400 (cheap at the moment if you can find them) or there replacements the 1500/2500 when they arrive:D.
    Otherwise the new Marantz 8500/7500, denon 3805/2805. Maybe also the H/K avr630/430 or Sony str-da5000 and hte Pioneer 2014i. The Nad amps are also very musical but not so good with films and dont have all the bels and whistles on them.

Have a look here for spec's:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/amplifier/index.htm

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    AFAIK there is no non-video switching amp in that price range.

8. MichaelJP

MichaelJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like that is indeed the case - I guess I'll just be paying for a load of switching that I'm never going to use.

Also, even the most expensive Denon (the one as big as a fridge) doesn't switch RGB scart, despite having every possible other type of video in/out.

- Michael

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you need/want RGB Scart switching take a look at Marantz (8300 or something like that), as well T+A (German high-end brand) has at least one model with RGB Scart on offer.

You can however switch RGB over YUV/Component with suitable adapter cables and given that the amp/receiver can switch an associated composite input at the same time (which is needed for the sync).