Recommendations for multi region player with SACD/DVD-A capacity

Mr Lime

Distinguished Member
My much loved Oppo BDP 103 has stopped reading discs and while I'm hoping this is something repairable like the laser or some such issue, I realise I might need to start looking for a new player.

I need a player that is comparable in quality and which has multi region capability on BD and DVD and also has the ability to play SACD/DVD-A discs.

So guys, any recommendations and which dealers do you recommend please?

Theo Maxtible

My much loved Oppo BDP 103 has stopped reading discs and while I'm hoping this is something repairable like the laser or some such issue, I realise I might need to start looking for a new player.

I need a player that is comparable in quality and which has multi region capability on BD and DVD and also has the ability to play SACD/DVD-A discs.

So guys, any recommendations and which dealers do you recommend please?

I'm surprised that you've received no response as yet. The question I asked myself just over 6 years ago, was which player to replace my ageing (and malfunctioning) Arcam DV137 with. I had very similar requirements to those you pose, definately wanting support for DVD-A and SACDs, but also analogue multi-channel outputs. I was happy to have BD support, and that did not prove difficult.

What does seem to be dwindling on the Universal Disc Player market is particularly DVD-A support, but also multi-channel analogue outputs.

You've probably noticed the two threads around the new Reavon and Panne players, but there appears very little actual personal experience around these.

I replaced my Arcam DV137 with the (now obsolete) Cambridge CXU, which offered all that I was looking for. I bought it from Richer Sounds - as unfortunately there was no choice of where to buy it. The sales service I received was perfectly OK. Given the choice, I'd much rather have bought it (or suitable UDP) from my local Sevenoaks Sound & Vision dealer. In my experience, so much comes down to the actual staff in the shop chosen. I have been well looked-after by my local Sevenoaks dealership - the Assistant Manager having come across from the local Audio-T shop when that closed. I'm in West Kent.

In 2006, when I bought my Arcam DV137, I was in SE London. I bought the player from Musical Images. The arranged demo was a bit chaotic, and when I experienced a few initial problems with the player, communication was quite problematic with the dealer. Afterwards, I wish I'd ordered it from Billy Vee in Lee (SE London), as that's where I attended an Arcam-arranged open evening demo of the DV137, DV139 and AVR350.

I'm not sure if any of this helps you, but if it at least gets your post noticed, that's something! Good luck!

Mr Lime

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

I ended up going for a SONY UDP X800 Mk 2, modded for multi-zone/multi region capability. It also has DVD-A and SACD capability.

This will do while my Oppo goes back to Oppo for servicing and then one of them can replace the cheapo Zone 1 and Zone 2 players in the bedroom that are getting a bit long in the tooth.

I've been meaning to get a one box Blu-ray solution in the bedroom system for a while. I also have a hi-fi system in the bedroom so this will give me SACD/DVD-A capability there as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom