• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommendations for 'inexpensive' pvr

J

jdcs

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this forum and from what I've seen so far you have some well informed folk amongst you.
My VCR has just failed and I've decided it's time to come into the 21st century and buy a pvr.
I'm looking to spend no more than £120ish and want something that will be
a)reliable
b)easy to use
c)have all the Freeview playback specs (twin tuner, series record, etc)
d)quiet (when not inuse)
Thanks in advance for your help,
Any thoughts?

reforse

I'm looking to spend no more than £120ish and want something that will be
a)reliable
b)easy to use
c)have all the Freeview playback specs (twin tuner, series record, etc)
d)quiet (when not inuse)

To get all the items on the list I think will cost more than £120 especially point a).

I suggest you save your pennies for a bit longer and get either

Humax 9200T at ~£150. This will cover a),b),and c) when the update is broadcast fairly soon. It has a fan so i am not sure about d) but people here say its fairly quiet.

Topfield TF5800 at ~£200. This covers a), b), c) with an Update as above and d) as it has no fan.

The general consensus here is either of the above. The ones with the Topfield wouldn't change it for the Humax and Vice Versa which indicates that both are good machines.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I got a new Humax 9200 last Saturday to replace my 26 month old machine that went faulty.I was so impressed with it (other than it going tits up)I had to get another.

You may find a few machines still in currys(they are being discontinued for a similar model with larger hd),probably display only machines which have not been used I got one for £129 and as they could not find the box final price was £116.99 this was a real bargain.:thumbsup:

paffren

We'll be looking for a new PVR later and I think the Humax looks good for the money. I like the USB for connection to computer but does it have any onboard editing facilities or does that have to be done after uploading?

crammedin

it can be done on the humax but its rough, not like on dvd based recorders. If you are transfering MPEG2 transport streams to PC anyway, do any edits there, as the purpose built applications do this easily and accurately and its quicker using a mouse and a proper application than using a remote control.

I read today on the forums that homecinematv.co.uk sell refurbished Humax PVRs for £129 which is very good. It includes the 2 year warranty. http://www.homecinematv.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=HUM-PVR9200TS-GRADED

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
I picked up the Thomson DT16300 as my first PVR back in Dec for £100, but Tescos I think had it at £80 :eek:, so you can probably find it for around that price elsewhere.

It has twin tuner, series record, 160Gb drive, and although people have mentioned that there units are noisy, mine is not - it is not in an enclosed space however. No PIP (that I have found), but updates (seem to) happen often. The 14 day EPG is very good, and all menu's are responsive.

However it has needed a power reset a few times, and I think on the 'cheaper' models this is more frequent - the high end Humax and Topfields are obviously more stable, as well as being quieter, etc etc.

As a first box for me, I am very happy - simply being able to record another channel while watching another is heaven compared to my old virgin box....

KUBBY

I have had my Topfield for the past two years and would thoroughly reccomend it. Okay,it runs a bit warm but that is a heat sink desiegn fault and its not a problem.
Recording from the epg couldnt be easier,(far easier I think than my daughters Humax ) and I have yet to get anywhere near filling the 160gb hard drive.
If you can stretch the finances,then at least give it an audition.

wakeywarrior

So far I am extremely happy with my Goodmans GHD1621F2- see thread in this forum. See also the reviews, where it came out top against the Humax. So far I think it is brilliant, but having had it for only 4 days so far, I still have it under test so to speak.

crammedin

See also the reviews, where it came out top against the Humax.

Believe me its not (I dont know how qualified I am to say that Eek). How it can be better than a Vestel clone or Thomson overall for the same price is at the moment beyond me. Thats to take nothing away from the ones who like the goodmans - and I think thats great. Nothing stopping the OP trying it out and seeing if it satisfies his needs, espeically as not having one before. There just happens to be a bit better, easier to use PVRs out there at the moment than the Umax PVR Alba selected for Goodmans branding.

Paul Shirley

saying that the humax was marked down for pricing as they quoted £230, but we all know we can get them for less than that.
...and some of us remember we can also get the other 3 for less than the review lists (£99 for the Goodmans with 10s of searching), the price premium is still a valid objection. The 9200 is still an expensive machine.

In any case its a bloody awful review that reminds me why I don't bother reading 'professional' AV reviews. On a par with the Gadget Show for useful detail and betraying a distinct lack of clue about how the technology works.

J

jdcs

:clap:Thanks to all you guys who responded:clap:
It looks like It has to be a Humax - thanks again. :thumbsup:

grumps

Desperately seeking PVR that records subtitles and Argos will not accept return if not faulty (!) Could you possibly check this out with your Sagem and let me know. Thks.

I bought my one as a gift and after trying it out decidied to buy one myself, but have not found one in stock yet. I'll ask the person who I gave it too if it does record subtitles.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom