1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for HIFI system with DVD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by mattyboy199, Apr 12, 2005.

1. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
  5. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right i see, i have that option on my TV, but would full phono connections be the better option or even scart (using adaptors were avilable).

I read a review & it said the picture quaility could be better, is there any other systems which provide the same formats tape, radio, DVD/MP3, prologic.

thanks matt

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Matt,

Do you need an all-in-one system? You could easily enough buy a DVD player (most will play MP3s now, but check b4 buying) with decent sound for CDs as well, an AV amp and speakers separately. If your amp doesn't have a radio tuner you could get digital radio (as well as freeview TV, obviously) through a freeview box, and just buy a cheap tape-deck secondhand. At almost £500 the technics doesn't seem cheap - if you've got space for separates try to have a listen to and look at both options and see which you prefer... Esp if you buy secondhand you could get a fairly decent system for £500 :) btw, I think Richer Sounds does one or two all-in-1 DVD/hi-fi systems, though I don't know if they include a tape...

One other thing - be careful of the s-video to scart converters you can get. Some TVs don't work properly with them (as I found out when I tried to connect the s-video on my laptop to the scart on my TV :( )

Jon

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I can't find anything that saids it has a composite phono connection.

A S Video to Scart should work but make sure the TV can receive the S Video signal through the Scart socket.

8. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well this is my dilemma, do i buy the above Technics system or buy seperates.

I intended to use the technics system cause its all in one, hook the pro logic up with the TV, although if quality is poor is it worth it. This should fit nicely under my Samsung 28inch widescreen (on the stand).

Buying seperates means expense will be high (the technics system i can get for £400ish). Seperates i ll need:

DVD player £80ish
    Amplifier £100
    speakers £100
    tape deck £80ish
    radio £120ish (DAB)

£480 ?

Bearing in mind this is going in my bedroom which is aint the biggest room ever

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    What DAB for £120?

How about a portable DAB? They can be picked up for around £50.

Also, I wouldn't pay £80 for a tape deck anymore. A second hand one can be get for less than £30 usually.

10. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mat,

I don't think your expenses would necessarily be that much higher than the technics; for example, if you buy an AV amp they often include a tuner (and if not you can get digital radio at a higher bit-rate than DAB through a freeview box - from about £30 ;) ) And yeah, as nwgarret says, you can get tape decks pretty cheap secondhand now.

If I were you I'd have a look/listen to the technics (bear in mind that you should be able to get an £80ish DVD player should have decent pic quality and at least adequate sound, so if the technics has poor pic quality I'd be inclined to avoid it...). Then go into a hifi/AV store, tell them your budget and the type of thing you want, and they should be happy to show you a system that'll be within that kind of budget (after all, they do want your money...) so you can get a comparison with the technics. Another option to look/listen to at might be the all-in-one that Cambridge do - http://ws3.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-540V-PACK. I think this would actually work out as cheaper than the technics...

Jon

11. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How about i just buy a pro logic hi fi & a dvd player ?

12. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Matt,

I guess you could do, but that would seem likely to be bad value for money (AFAIK, most pro-logic hi-fis will tend to include a DVD anyway). Also, I don't think you'd save much space that way anyway - lots of AV amps come with a tuner already built in, so if it's a choice between buying an AV amp (inc. tuner) a DVD and a tape player or a prologic hi-fi and a DVD then both are likely to need a similar amount of space... And, if you're happy to buy a secondhand tape deck I don't think you'd really save much money by buying a prologic hifi and separate DVD player either.

Like I said, my advice would just be to try to have a listen to/look at a couple of different options (and if you ask a hifi shop what they suggest, they should be happy to set a couple of alternatives up for you). The Cambridge system I link to above could be good value, but it's also worth listening to some separates to see how they compare; if the technics system looks and sounds good in comparison then by all means go for it as it'll be a pretty simple solution. I wouldn't buy the technics if you're not happy with the quality, though - even £400 is a reasonable amount to spend (for example I paid about £250 for my stereo hi-fi - which imho sounds a lot better than the couple of technics midi systems I've heard).

Jon

13. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Hi Matt, welcome

Another reason to consider seperates, is the ability to upgrade individual components, at any time in the future, should it take your fancy. If you find you want better quality at volume, you can look at the amp or speakers. If you change tv and need a better picture, change the dvd etc. You can also tailor the sound to suit your preference.

Personally, I'm a fan of 2nd hand gear (classifieds here or ebay). Certainly, as mentioned above, you'd pay next to nothing for a tape deck. Also your price comparison above uses a DAB radio for the seperates, so is not comparing like with like.

14. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok i starting to begin to believe i should be buying seperates.

so the system will consist of:
    DVD player
    tape deck
    tunner/amplifier
    surround speaker set

450GBP is my max budget.

basically i want all the above to be the same brand, wheres the best site to look at prices & different brands.

Thanks Matt

15. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    You tricky customer you.

With the budget you have, I'm not sure if it's worth going seperates unless you're mixing brands. Although some brands can do everything well, that's normally fairly high up the price ladder. To get the best performing system for £450, I think it's a case of looking for good deals on each product, and they're not going to all be the same brand.

I think you need to decide if style, or performance is more important to you (and I'm not suggesting for a second that performance should be). If the look of a system is more important, an all in 1 may be better for you. If performance is more important though, you could get a much better system looking for deals and second hand. And it can look decent too.

In high end systems, you can spend hundreds more, and not notice an improvement. Spending £450 wisely however, can make a big difference in performance.

16. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how does this sound

i buy:
    DVD player + surroundsound speakers + Amp inc. tuner (as a package)
    tape deck

Thats all i basically need right, i assume i can hook up a tape deck to the DVD/AMP/TUNER

17. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Matt,

That sounds fine. You might want to have a look at some Cambridge Audio and Marantz products - IMO they both do some cheap-ish DVDs that are decent for video and music...not listened to many surround sound amps so not sure about that. Any half-decent amp should have quite a few inputs (at least 4 is the norm, more often a half dozen or so) so you'll have room to connect up the tape deck and also space if you want to plug in a DAB tuner, freeview box etc. at some future date...

You might want to think of being a bit more flexible about brands, though - so long as the separates are the same colour and a standard size, they can look quite similar (I've got some black Sony and Cambridge separates stacked together, and they seem to 'match' OK). Esp with speakers, I don't think it'll be easy to tell without looking closely if they're the same brand as your amp or not...

Oh yeah - depending how big your room is you may also need some extra speaker cable; that ain't going to break the bank ;)

Jon

18. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok mate thanks fopr your help much appreciated

19. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    The five-disk multichanging Panasonic SC-PM39 looks good for the money (~£180 ?). Does MP3/WMA decoding too. Just a thought...

Mike.

20. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Oh Lordy, I've just discovered that www.multiregionmagic.co.uk have these listed 'in stock' for £119.95. £200+ almost everywhere else and not even MR+RCE as the £119's are. Bargain if it comes off.

Mike.

21. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Amazing price, but only 2 spealers. Aren't you after 5.1 surrounf Matt?

22. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Yeah surround or pro logic (originally looking for)

23. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what i need is a home cinema system ?

the DVD/AMP/TUNER come as an all in one unit & of course the speakers included.

jus add a tape deck

24. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Have a look at the Sony DAV S880 in the classifieds. £760 new, or £200 if your quick. Will give you some spare cash for when you want to upgrade, if it's the sort of thing your after. Click the link within the add to see pics and reviews.

25. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Also, in the classifieds, under this thread, there's a Yamaha DSPAX630 with good speakers, for £300 or less.

If you want to deal on the clsasifieds, be sure to read the rules, as they're quite strict.

26. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  27. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  28. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Although I haven't heard any of the systems that any of have mentioed, I'd say there's nothing wrong with going for the all in 1 packages on your links. But at this price point, the quality can vary enormously. That Toshiba system for £170, is so cheap, you can hardly go wrong as a taster for surround sound. I only pointed out the £200 system that was in the classifieds, as it used to be £900, so I'd guess the quality is better than the Toshiba.

You won't be able to connect other speakers to the Toshiba system (or if you could, it wouldn't be worth it). But at £170, who cares. If you want to upgrade later, you could just ditch it (pop it in a bedroom or sell for a few quid).

It really depends what you want from the system. For the same functions that you're after, many people here spend over £10,000. The more you spend, the less benefit you get per pound. At the price you're looking at, a few extra pounds spent wisely can make a big difference to the quality (if you care - and some don't).

Differences between a £10k system, and £170 system:
    The picture quality from the dvd player will vary, and how good a dvd player you need depends partly on the display (a large projector will show poor quality more than a small crt). But at your price point, for your display, the main difference will be sound quality:
    Surround sound is not as simple as having 5.1 speakers. I would rather watch a dvd, and listen through my 20 year old stereo, than through a £170 surround system (I'm not looking down on budget systems, just explaining that there's more to a system than the number of speakers). This is because the quality of sound from my stereo would be better. Hi frequencies, mid range, bass, the lot. I wouldn't hear anything behind me, but its not good when you do if it's done badly.
    The jobs the surround system has to do:
    Stear the soundtrack to each speaker (processors job) - its not as simple as this sound goes to the front left speaker, this sound to the front right, etc. Generally a sound will go to more than 1 speaker, and when it's done properly, you won't think 'oo, that speakers doing its thing', you'll forget about the speakers, and get involved in the movie. The sounds in a movie are also regularly moving, and this will be more lifelike with a better system. Also, more expensive processors will not muddle different complex sounds, so while there's lots going on, you can still here subtleties.
    Amplify the sound - it's difficult to add speakers to an all in 1 package, partly due to the ability of the all in 1 aplifier. Good speakers will need a reasonable amount of amplification to drive them. Cheaper systems sound worse at high volumes than a good stereo.

If you can spend up to £450, you will get a more convincing cinema experience, if you go second hand (ie better value). And depending on what's about, you'll probably also get a better sounding system if you get seperates, and have better upgrade possibilities if you want to upgrade piece by piece in the future.

29. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you're happy with the sound on one of the all-in-ones by all means go for one. Make sure there's an input for your tape deck, though, and I guess the other thing to bear in mind is that, as others have said, upgrading will be difficult (and if something breaks you can't just change the offending component). Try to have a listen to these alongside some other options, though - as you presumably want to use the system for music as well as DVD (hence the tape deck) make sure you're happy with the sound for music; sattelite speaker systems at this price may not be great. Of course, if you like the sound/look/price then buy it and enjoy it :)

As others have said, you often see systems coming up in the classifieds here too - might be worth a look secondhand...

Jon

30. mattyboy199

mattyboy199
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently bought a Samsung digital TV, all i m looking to do is have a music / DVD system to save space.

Rather than a TV & DVD system i may as well run the TV/DVD sound through the HI fi speakers hence the reason i m gonna get a small cinema package & add a tape deck, this way i kill 2 brids with stone.

I m all up for buying seprates but my budget is 450GBP & Im not gonna buy used 2nd hand items (FULL STOP NO QUESTION).

I doubt 450GBP will get me:

DVD player
    Amp
    Tuner
    Tape Deck
    Speakers

of half decent quality

So i m gonna resort to the above system or similar (pioneer) & add the tape deck if possible.