Recommendations for HiFi separates cables and setup needed

bigshorty45

Hi Everyone

I've always been one to not pay much attention to, and scrimped on costs when it comes to wiring my HiFi separates system together. However I have just acquired a pair of Q Acoustics 2020i speakers, which I have heard a good quality speaker, that will be paired with my Pioneer A-109 amplifier and Technics SL-PG370A CD player, and I would like to get the most out of this setup sound quality wise. I've heard that quality of cabling is just as important a factor to consider when trying to achieve the best possible sound qualty from a HiFi setup, and was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction as to what cables I need for best possible performance.

I've checked out posts and reviews on the internet, but there are so many options that have left me so confused as to which way forward to go, that I thought the only way to get some good advice would be talk to others who actually have experimented and experienced using different types of cables. I'm looking for decent quality speaker cables and a decent RCA composite cable to connect the amp to the CD player. Budget isn't really important, but it blows my mind that prices for these cables can be well in excess of £50, and to me that seems a ridiculous amount to spend on cabling, so the cheaper the better would be ideal.

Also, I've found out that the Q Acoustics 2020i speakers support bi-wiring, and was wondering if any of you can give me your thoughts as to whether I should do this or not. Again I've checked the internet and read many posts that say you should do this, you shouldn't do this, the change in sound quality is drastic or subjective, that it has left me wondering if I should bi-wire my 2020i's or not.

Finally, I have a set of KEF Coda 7 SE speakers, which I'm assuming also support bi-wiring as each speaker has two positive and two negative binding posts. Which of the two sets of speakers, the Coda 7's or 2020i's, would you guys be inclined to use? I've tested both and couldn't really hear too much difference between the two, however until I get quality cables and decide on bi-wiring or not, it probably wasn't a fair test. I know sound quality is down to personal preference, and ultimately the end decision as to which set to use will be mine, I just didn't know if one of these sets of speakers is significantly better than the other. I listen to all types of music genres, from heavy metal, to pop, to classical, so to have an idea as to which set is the best all round performer would be helpful.

Any thoughts, comments and advice on any of the points I've raised would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing them.

Many thanks in advance.

DT79

You need decent cables, but decent means meeting the required specification for their purpose and being well made. They don’t need to be expensive.

Use what the pros use - it’s very telling that those cables never cost a great deal.

I’ve been to very brink of fancy cable insanity and back again. It’s like a gambling addiction or something - as some wise little dude once said, “Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.”

This is where I buy from now - well made, pro oriented components, quick delivery, cheap. They also sell through Amazon.

For your speakers van damme HiFi or Blue, 2.5mm or 4mm for long runs. That’s going to be as good as speaker cable ever needs to be.

The only theoretical benefit to biwiring is in doubling the cross sectional area of your copper, but unless you have huge runs it probably won’t make any difference, and you can achieve the same thing by using thicker single runs.

bigshorty45

Many thanks for your informative comments, they are much appreciated

For your speakers van damme HiFi or Blue, 2.5mm or 4mm for long runs. That’s going to be as good as speaker cable ever needs to be.

My speakers will be close to the amp, so I require no more than 1.5m lengths for each speaker. judging by your comments the 2.5mm Van Damme cables should be adequate for my needs?

Also, I have noticed a brass looking bridging plate on the Coda 7's between each of the positive and negative binding posts, yet the 2020i's don't have such a plate (I did get them cheap). I'm presuming this means the previous owner used bi-wiring on these speakers? If I decide against bi-wiring I would obviously need to bridge these posts, would a small length of speaker cable be sufficient for this task?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Yes, small piece of wire will do, if you want to be fancy then you can add some U crimp connectors but bare wire is fine so long as there are no stray strands that can connect red to black causing a short.

bigshorty45

Yes, small piece of wire will do, if you want to be fancy then you can add some U crimp connectors but bare wire is fine so long as there are no stray strands that can connect red to black causing a short.

Brill, thanks for the info.

Would you say the 2.5mm speaker cable would be sufficient using 1.5m lengths?

acgingersnaps

+1. Love the van damme. Great stuff. I use the hifi, rather than the blue, but only because you can see my wires and it's prettier!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'll second everything said so far.

Back in the dim and distant past Quad, the manufacturer of some very nice speakers and amps were at a HiFi show and kept getting people inquiring about the really cool looking bright orange speaker cable they were using. Turns out they'd forgot the box with the speaker cable in it so had nipped to the local B&Q and were using a heavy duty lawnmower extension lead as speaker cable. 😉

acgingersnaps

Brill, thanks for the info.

Would you say the 2.5mm speaker cable would be sufficient using 1.5m lengths?
More than sufficient for much longer lengths than that.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom