Question Recommendations for first timer - Receiver plus surround speakers

AshDavis3

Standard Member
Reaction score
My sounds bar just died on me so clearly the gods are telling me its time. I'm looking for a receiver and surround sound set up, 5.1 I'm guessing as my living room isn't huge.

Nothing huge and doesn't need to be crazy loud, will be more for films than anything else, just good quality, rich sound. I like the egg shaped speakers and would like to mount on the wall behind me. My flat is surround sound ready so that helps.

Budget-wise, nothing set in stone. Ideally like to keep within the range of £500-750 (more or less) could go up to £1k but I'd like to keep it lower if possible.

Came across these, which I love the look of! something similar would be great. Or have I just happen to link the best ones in the price range?

Denon AVR-X2400H AV Receiver with KEF E305 AV Speakers

I think the main battle is between KEF E305, Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 and Q Acoustics 7000i Plus.

Also you might have seen here people have swapped the package subwoofer to better one from example BK Electronics (bkelec.com) as there is no need to "match". I assume all of these can be bought without sub and going with better one would give you some extra grunt with certain type of movies.

Denon AVR-X2400H AV Receiver with Monitor Audio Mass AV Speakers

Denon AVRX2400 (Black) and Q Acoustics Q7000i 5.1 Plus (Black)

Other options with slightly larger size and certain advantages;

Denon AVR-X2400H AV Receiver with Q Acoustics 3000 Cinema Speaker System

This comes with poor receiver, but swapping it shouldn`t cost much extra;

Denon AVRX550BT & Wharfedale DX2

You can find AVForums review for each models i linked to give you some idea, but if some shop would let you listen them, that would be highly recommended before making choice. But as you mentioned KEF E305 looking lovely, that might have some weight when you choose between these as you tend to watch your system daily for years to come = speakers need to look good also! Some of the systems might work better in your room depending how you can place them, so just laying out some options!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom