Recommendations for entering the world of Flat Screens

LRS

Standard Member
Hello All

My long loved Sony KV-36HQ100 is beginning to experience some switching on problems which may indicate its pending demise (for those of you that remember this model it was one of the best and most acclaimed CRT monitors money could buy at the time)

It will be a trully sad moment when it finally does give up the go and I’m forced to enter into the world of the ‘flat screen’…

Now here comes the potential controversial part. For me ‘personally’ the picture quality of most flat screens are far from being impressive with the technology probably needing a further 10 years to mature. (The only technology coming close that I’ve seen was SED which I was lucky to see a few years ago as a prototype)

This is where I need some help from you good folk’s in the know regards flat screens and your recommendations of makes and models. I’m happy to pay £5K plus for a decent set.

Thank you all for your help

LRS

Standard Member
Forgot to mention that my key priority is picture 'quality'.

All those other gimmicks like 3D, internet, smart features, etc. that clutter up the true purpose of the TV, are not required. In the old days these type of TVs used to be called professional reference monitors, but I’m not sure if these still exist in the world of flat screens.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Get one of the last Panasonic plasmas quickly, ZT60 top of the tree

Ossie77

AVForums gave the ZT reference status;

Panasonic ZT65/ZT60 (TX-P60ZT65) 3D Plasma TV Review | AVForums

As did HDTV Test;

Panasonic TX-P60ZT65B Performance

If 60" is too big then the 50" VT65 also got a reference award;

Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (VT65) Review

And if you can't find a VT then try 50" GT60 which also got the badge;

Panasonic TX-P50GT60B Performance

Another TV to consider might be the LG 55EA980. It is one of the new breed of OLED TV's.
Contrast and black levels are even better than the ZT but the screen doesn't appear to be as uniform as plasma tech and motion resolution isn't as good. However, HDTV Test awarded it reference status too;

LG 55EA980W Curved OLED TV Review

I have heard it whispered that the TV's life span is very short. I'm sure that there are other AVF members who know more about this technology than me who can advise.

LRS

Standard Member
Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Having looked into all your suggested models I'm leaning towards the PANASONIC TXP55VT65B based on its reviews regards picture quality, which is my key consideration above all the gizmo stuff.

However, a number of reviews on this set have stated that the fan noise is really apparent. Can anyone here provide any feedback regards this? In my situation the set will not be placed against a wall but will rather be on a low floor stand with a couple of feet of free space behind the set. What is not clear is whether the fan noise is more evident to wall or floor standing sets?

On the point of purchasing places, I would normally go the John Lewis route – 5 year warranty and excellent customer support should anything go wrong, however JL does not stock the TXP55VT65B model. Searching the web it’s apparent that the TXP55VT65B is not too readily available, but have found it stocked at Richer Sounds, with a 5 year warranty. Is RS a reliable place to buy – especially if things happen to go wrong?

Would love to go the OLED route, but a 8K+ for a 55”- 60” this is a tad rich for me…

Thanks again;

Ossie77

I bought an ST60 from RS and one of the HDMI ports stopped working properly. They arranged for engineers to come and replace the necessary part. I was really impressed with the service. Lots of phone calls and text messages keeping me updated about everything. Recommended!

Hopefully someone with a VT can re-assure you about the fan noise but I wouldn't wait too long if I were you. I would call tomorrow and at least ask them to hold it for you. You could also ask them about the fan noise.

RS have the LG for £3999;

LG 55EA980W | 55 inch Curved OLED 3D TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

That is one tasty looking TV!!!

LRS

Standard Member
After many phone calls to RicherSounds shops across the southeast with no joy, I finally got lucky and found a brand new boxed TX-P50VT65B from an RS shop within 100 miles of home! Apparently, if I had called just 2 minutes later I would have lost this one!! It appears everyone is franticly searching for these last remaining Panasonic plasmas. Really nice guys at RS.

Just need to move the 90kg Sony now… If anyone here would like a free Sony KV-36HQ100 to pickup and collect (Berkshire area) please let me know as it does still work, but it’s just becoming temperamental when switching on. Someone in the know may be able to fix this intermittent fault and enjoy a great CRT legend.

Thanks again for all the help (Ossie77)

Ossie77

After many phone calls to RicherSounds shops across the southeast with no joy, I finally got lucky and found a brand new boxed TX-P50VT65B from an RS shop within 100 miles of home! Apparently, if I had called just 2 minutes later I would have lost this one!! It appears everyone is franticly searching for these last remaining Panasonic plasmas. Really nice guys at RS.

Just need to move the 90kg Sony now… If anyone here would like a free Sony KV-36HQ100 to pickup and collect (Berkshire area) please let me know as it does still work, but it’s just becoming temperamental when switching on. Someone in the know may be able to fix this intermittent fault and enjoy a great CRT legend.

Thanks again for all the help (Ossie77)

Congratulations! I hope it all goes well with the purchase. Have a look at the plasma section for tips on breaking in the TV. A breaking in period of 200 hours is recommended before you do any calibrating. It might well be worth getting a professional calibrator to do it for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom