Recommendations for DVD to partner a scaler...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Laura, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Planning on getting a Panasonic 50" plasma and a scaler (probably a IScan HD+ based on my finances). With that in mind what would be a good DVD player to partner with it.

Not sure of the exact budget, probably upto about £500.

I'm thinking I don't really need progressive scan as the scaler would probably do it better than most built in solutions.

Don't really need stuff like DivX or WMA/MP3 playback. DVD Audio might be nice.

DVI would be a consideration as the HD+ supports scaling from DVI, and that would leave more component inputs free.

Styling does have some bearing , quite like the styling on the Denon's, Marantz's, NAD's Onkyo's, but hate the styling on things like the H/K DVD22, Panasonic S47. Basically the proportions on some machines leave me cold. That said, if the choice was between an ugly but well performing machine and a good looking piece of poo then i'd put up with ugly.

2. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A good partner for a scaler would be a player that outputs interlaced over HDMI, then you can have the benefits of a digital path from player to display and use the de-interlacing capabilities of the scaler. Unfortunately the currently available candidates are both about twice your budget: Pioneer DV868AVi at around £900 and Arcam Diva DV79 at around £1000. You will find posts on both of these in the forums here, many about the 868AVi, though I would expect better results all around from the Arcam and especially so on the audio side. If anyone knows of a cheaper player that outputs interlaced over HDMI perhaps they will chip in, as more HDMI-equipped players appear this feature should become available from more affordable products.