• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommendations for DVD to highlight LCD flaws..

jrleech

Standard Member
I'm about to take the plunge and swap my 42" Panasonic PX70 for a 50/52" 1080P set, and while the upcoming 50PZ80 or 800 is looking like the one, I'm also tempted to try out the new Sony 52" W4000 series LCD.

I'm very un-accomodating when it comes to smearing, and watching some snooker (channel hopping) on my new Samsung 26" LCD clearly showed a good ghost behind the white ball as it rolled down the table. While I can live with that in the bedroom, I won't on my main set.

I don't play games on my TV, nor do I watch much sports... it's mainly movies, in a dark room.

Can anyone recommend a DVD that would be good to demo on the Sony LCD that will show up the LCD flaws (smearing in particular)?

Thanks,
Jon

jrleech

Standard Member
White or light colours on green usually looks worst for screen smear from what I've seen. Maybe something like Hero (Jet Li)....

I'm sure someone will have something they've seen that they thought looked naff on LCD and great on Plasma :)

catch'em1

I saw the Peugeot 308 advert, the one with black crystals waving about. I saw this advert on an LCD TV and on a Plasma at the same time instore and the plasma was much better. This advert can show some flaws in some LCD's so i guess anything with waves in can highlight the flaws of Lcd's.

Hope that helps

YellowSphere

In actual fact I saw the 40W4000 today and was very impressed by the motion handling. It was still a bit shaky at really quick stuff, but a big improvement over the V/W3000.

That said, I'd still go for a PZ ;D

jrleech

Standard Member
Thanks. I suppose I could plug a DVD player into my Samsung LCD and test a few out on there to see what's good and what's not...

badbob

Banned
Anything with dark scenes, so things like Resident Evil, Doom- shows up LCD black crush/lost shadow detail. Helms deep night time battle sequence, try that on the Plasma as this showed up phosphur lag on a CRT direct view and CRT RP too.

Horizontal panning, I find static background, moving foreground object isn't a problem, it's the reverse. Static object, moving background- this shows up LCD motion blur, so scenes like Airwolf (low quality DVD's so find scenes with similar sequences) where it's flying low over scenery. Look at the terrain not the heli.

You need to tweak Samsung though, out of the box will look awful, so disable all the "picture enhancments" to at least make it a fairer comparison.

jrleech

Standard Member
Good suggestions there, thanks badbob :smashin:

golden void

You can show up LCDs 2 big failings as follows:

To show up the darks problem, watch Hallowe'en. A huge portion of that movie is set in the dark. And I mean very dark. This is one of my fav movies and it really looks bad on LCD. Dark rooms have large dark spaces in them in which you can see nothing (on my dad's Pany Vierra). On my plasma you can the empty hallway back in that dark zone, and the table with flowers on, way back in that hallway, many feet away.....and crouching behind that....Michael Myers...! The difference in depth in shocking, and that movie really shows it.

Next, the slideshow effect. Any dogfight sequence from Top Gun will do. I challenge anyone to be pro-LCD after watching that film.

YellowSphere

28 Days Later is a good one, because not only are a lot of the later scenes set in the dark, but it was filmed on cheapish SD camcorders, so the detail that is there is easily lost on a lesser screen.

Silent Hill (say what you like, but I reckon it's one of the better horror movies around) has some incredibly dark scenes when Rose first enters the Darkness.

Dark Water, the original Japanese has a scene where the mother walks into the room above hers and discovers it full of water. It seems to be filmed with different cameras to the rest of the movie (perhaps because of all the water) and I can imagine it blurring beyond belief.

jrleech

Standard Member
Good suggestings guys, thanks. On the dark note, might try Pitch Black...

King Kong the scene when Kong takes on the 3 T-rex where the camera keeps spinning around i used to get a fair amount of motion blur on that part with my lcd.

Its like a differernt movie on a plasma :thumbsup:

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
You say you watch in a dark room? Just switch off all the lights and put in any movie, most of them have at least one night time scene, and this in itself should put your mind to rest that LCD is a poor choice for a serious display. LCDs are basically werewolves...great by day, utter nightmare by night. For me, the words "backlight" and "rubbish" are synonymous with each other.

badbob

Banned
You say you watch in a dark room? Just switch off all the lights and put in any movie, most of them have at least one night time scene, and this in itself should put your mind to rest that LCD is a poor choice for a serious display. LCDs are basically werewolves...great by day, utter nightmare by night. For me, the words "backlight" and "rubbish" are synonymous with each other.

:rolleyes: Yeah maybe at backlight at 100% but at 2/10 about as black as Pioneer plasma (during the day) - Rubbish eh? At 2/10 black level is very good, but still high contrast (dynamic contrast disabled) white is still quite piercing. Although some scenes have black crush, but this is a seperate issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom