1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for DTS or DD 5.1 albums please!

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Triggaaar, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I've just bought an AV system for the first time, and I'd like to run the speakers in with a bit of multi channel music. System isn't DVD-A or SACD capable, so I'm just wanting to order a couple DTS or DD 5.1 albums.

After any popular music, and would like to choose things that have been mastered well (if there's any that seem better on DTS than on DVD-A for example, that would be great).

With DD or DTS tracks, do you have to have the TV on to navigate, or can you just play like a CD - or does it depend on whether the Album has video on it.

I've seen Hotel California on the DTS demo disc, which is good - is that available on an whole album, and if so, is it all as good?
    Also, I notice Queen's We will rock you DTS is recommended (does that include video)?

I don't mind if video is included or not, but if you have some recommendations, please say what format they are, and if they include video or not.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

2. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have a search of the forums, there are loads of threads on good music DVDs / SACDs / DVD-Audio albums

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Queen's We Will Rock You (DTS) is a DVD, not a CD album. It's a good concert, but Brian May has said there's something to do with the copyrights, which prevented Queen having an input, otherwise, he would have liked to have remixed it to sound better.

4. MikeNelson

MikeNelson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    One of the major pains is having to use the telly to navigate... but the experience is worth it.

If you like Queen, then the greatest hits DVDs have DTS sound. Also the DVD-A's of Night at the opera or The Game will play DTS on your system and are superb. Look at www.dtsentertainment.com

The Hell freezes over performance is easily available and well worth it - it's a DVD-Video

5. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Swedish radio have several DTS demo tracks to download; the first one (Prix Europa Opening Concert) is a good one to show off a new system. All you have to do is download it and burn it onto CD - et voila. It's audio only, BTW - but free! Not popular music, more acoustic and brass folk/rock - but very powerful stuff.

http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.stm

6. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi triggaar woolies have eagles hell freezes over its a live recording in dts you do need the tv to navigate menu its music and visuals. plays on bog standard dvd player.

7. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Triggaar

DVD's to go for are :

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003
    Porcupine Tree - In Abstentia
    Jeff Trott - Dig-Up The Astroturf
    Robert Cray - Time Will Tell
    Elvis - 30 no.1 Hits
    Tipper - Surrounded
    Yes - Fragile
    Donald Fagan - The Nightfly
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Phillip Glass - Koyaainqatsi
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum
    Eagles - Hotel California
    Queen - A Naght At The Opera
    Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now

DTS CD's
    Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run
    Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth

try either play.com or amazon.co.uk :thumbsup:

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Hell Freezes Over is the Eagles DVD that it is taken off and the rest of the disc isn't as good - It's better :D

9. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +434
    I agree. Once they "warmed up", they seemed to perform better!

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Thanks people. I bought the Eagles a week ago, and am very pleased with it (haven't listened to it all yet). I'll also be getting at least one of the queen albums, though not sure which yet - 2 recommended above and a few others also recommended on this forum.

11. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    >>>>>>>>>
    Swedish radio have several DTS demo tracks to download
    <<<<<<<<<

I've downloaded a massive WAV file from their web site. They suggest you burn it to a CD and play it on your DVD player.
    My dvd player is old and cannot read CDR or CDRWs it CAN however read DVD R & RWs is there any way I can extract the DTS info from this file and burn some kind of DVD with the music on?

-Neil

12. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah. You could be stuffed, unless it'll work if you burn the WAV file onto a DVD-R - I see no reason why it shouldn't. I assume of course that your DVD player has a digital output, and your receiver has DTS decoding? I don't know if your DVD player will require DTS itself for this to work. The file itself is not 'music' per se, it's a coded DTS file.

EDIT: Maybe your CD player will play the CDR and has a digital out that you could hook up to your DTS capable AV system? If I remember I think this worked on my system when I was playing around with it a few months ago: I don't have my Rotel CD player hooked up digitally to my Denon AV receiver as the Rotel has better digital to analog conversion than the Denon, which I use just as an amplifer for music.

13. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah, I did burn it to a DVD RW and the DVD player read it ok, that is to say that it said DVD and not CD on the display. It wouldn't however play the file on the disk no matter how hard I pressed the play button :laugh:

I know that dvds have speciffic audio and video directories on them but it's not wav files that go in there but vob files. I was hoping that somone knew of a way to convert the encoded wav file into a DVD vob file.

My cd player is an arcam alpha (also quite old) and I think it messes with the code before it plays out an spdiff stream because my other DTS albumn won't play from the Arcam yet will play fine from the DVD player into my Denon 3802 AV amp. :mad:

-Neil

14. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm... Might be overlooking the obvious, but is your Denon definately set to accept the optical digital signal from the Arcam? If not, then it might only be accepting an analog signal via the phonos.

15. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    My Arcam's older than that mate, it's not got an optical output just coax spdiff!
    The good news is that in desparation I burnt it to a regular CDR and it did play on my Arcam straight into the AV amp and the DTS light lit up. :clap:
    I've no idea why the Arcam scrambled my previous DTS cd because it was a proper bought silver pressed disk (not a CDR) it was Alan Parsons AIR cd which is very good by the way.

On the down side though the music I downloaded was like folk music rather than the jazz I was expecting. Not really my taste at all! Doh!

Thanks for all your help in getting it working though :thumbsup:

-Neil

16. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Double Doh! I've just seen that you actually said it WAS folk. I dont know where I got the idea it was jazz from. :laugh:

-Neil

17. engaged

engaged
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well it's not folk music as in Morris Dancing or Arran sweaters! The term 'folk music' seems to cover a huge spectrum, often applied by people that don't like the genre despite having no appreciation of how eclectic it is: I've seen the term applied to acts as diverse as 10,000 Maniacs, Leonard Cohen and Richard Thompson as 'folk music'.

18. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I used to be a folk singer, when I sang people shouted "Folk off". Well I think that's what they said

19. slacknote

slacknote
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find this anywhere, I've searched high and low and ordered it 3 times.
    Any tips?

20. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    DVD-A's and SACD's were a lot easier to find 5 years ago than they are now!

If you search on Amazon.co.uk you can find it on Dual Disc although I don't know if it has a hi-res track or not

21. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i purchased the titanic soundtrack on these forums a little while back. the disc is full bitrate dts and is a massive leap over the normal cd version..thes cd,s are pretty much like any normal cd in track navigation terms:smashin:its the audio section that is different.