1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for DLP for Gaming?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Devthor, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Devthor

Devthor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy one of my first HDTV's in the next few weeks and I
    was looking for your recommendations on which one to get. I have been
    looking into DLP TV's due to their decent size/price/performance
    characteristics, but my only concern is the latency issues I have been
    reading about when gaming.

I am looking at a budget of $1500-$2000 (I will go as high as $2500 if
    there is a compelling reason to) and plan to use this quite a bit for
    gaming. A lot of the games I play do have timing issues (Halo2,
    Burnout, etc) so minimal lag-no lag is a big plus. Other than that, I
    want to use it for your general DVD viewing, etc.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? Like I said I have been
    looking primarily at DLP's, but am open to anything and really not in
    much of a hurry.

Thanks

2. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I have absolutely no problems with my xbox and my set. I keep hearing people talking about lag or timing issues when gaming on dlp but have yet to experience it myself, none of my mates that have dlp have experienced it either.
    IMO DLP sets were made for gaming, the PQ is superb.
    I would look at the Samsung models as they seem to be getting lots of praise and i cant fault mine in anyway. :D

3. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Older Samsung's are the only one's I've heard with lag problems. I believe the new Toshiba's have a 'game' setting that adjusts things incase you run into lag problems, you may want to check those out.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    No problems with my Optoma RD65. I use a pc and xbox for gaming.

:)

5. mearsy007

mearsy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a Gamecube through my Samsung 46" and i find it unplayable due to lag. Tried my brothers Xbox and i found it the same, However, neither he or both my sons notice it at all! I do think certain types of game show it up more than others though eg. rhythm action and others where precise timing is needed. Games like Pro evo aren't as noticable. I might just be the minority though.

6. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What model is it? What connections are you using?

7. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Indeed! I am looking to place the order for my SP46L6HX today but if there is a lag issue for games then this could be a big problem! :rolleyes:

Does anyone else experience this on the 46L6? :confused:

8. mearsy007

mearsy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    its a sp46 not the newer one though as i got it back in january. As for connections at the mo' through an official rgb scart, but tried others with no difference. The tv is ace though and i just play pc more! :thumbsup:

9. Devthor

Devthor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i am fast approaching the time when I am going to actually have to make a decision and pick a TV. While I agree that Plasma definitely looks nice PQ wise, it is a bit out of my pricerange and I have heard of too many problems with my friends LCDs (yeah, I know personal experience, but thats a large part of every decision). So price for performance, since I haen't seen a good arguement elsewhere I am sticking with DLP.

Now, I was originally thinking the Samsung, but I have a feeling I would not be able to deal with the lag in games on the GC and some XBox games. I know that it is supposed to be minimal in many cases, but from the sounds of it, even 480p mode has a slightly larger (noticeable by some) delay than some of the other brands. So unless I hear that they have beefed up their upscalers, I don't think I will be going samsung. So the two models I am looking at are Toshiba and Mitubishi and I was wondering what experience people had with them? My list with biggest pro's and cons is below:

Samsung HLR6067W

Pro: Supposedly Superior PQ compared to other models
    Both DVI and HDMI inputs (go computer monitor!)
    Con: Delay DSP leading to game lag (lessened as res goes up, but still present)
    Final: Unless proven that the lag has been fixed, probably not

Mitsubishi WD52725

Pro: Supposedly no Gaming Delay
    Comperable PQ to the Samsung
    Both DVI and HDMI inputs (go computer monitor!)
    Con: Has had glare issues in the past
    Supposedly can have odd effects on screen due to their anti-glare coating
    Final: Between this one and Toshiba at the moment

Toshiba 52HM84

Pro: Game Delay (again) via game mode
    Con: No DVI Connector
    Supposedly worst SD PQ (not a big deal since I will be getting digital/HD Cable)
    Reputedly not as good contrast as others

Let me know if I missed a model I should consider or if I am mistaken on this list. Currently I am leaning towards Mitsubishi due to the addition of a DVI connector, but more or less split between Toshiba and Mitsubishi. Thanks in advance for the advice, you have been great so far.

10. Jordans Norks

Jordans Norks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi, I have a Sammy SP50 and have experienced absolutely no lag issues with my XBOX either through Scart (my PAL XBOX) or component (NTSC XBOX) in standard, 480P and 720P modes, I've yet to try 1080i mode, but a US copy of Halo 2 is winging it's way to me and this supports that mode, so I'll post when I've tried.

In high def the picture quality is unbeleivable!...roll on XBOX 360 I say! :thumbsup:

XBOX Gamertag: "Jordans Norks"

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I have the latest Samsung 46" model and have had no lag issues with DVDs or with games.

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    All this talk of gaming on DLp has put me in the mood for a few games. [​IMG]

13. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When you say lag do you mean that u press the button on the controller and it takes a spilt second for it to respond on screen? If so that is crazy and unacceptable. I have used a DLP front projector for a year and never experienced anything like that but if i did i would return it immediately without a second thought.

14. Devthor

Devthor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It is basically due to the signal processing that the HDTV has to go through to display a picture. All HDTV's have some lag (since many of them do various forms of filtering, and real-time DSP processing is pretty hard/expensive), however, the Samsung DSP chips seem to be a bit slower than most to the point where the delay begins to become noticeable. My guess is they are either using a slower chip or it is tied in with the filters that give them a superior (in some users opinion) picture quality.

I have heard reports of the Samsung lag being very noticeable in 480i games (the most processing required), and, for some people, even noticeable in the 480p and 720p games. Basically, I'm hoping to avoid the whole situation by getting a different brand since I have heard of less problems with them. They tend to use more expensive electronics/ DSP chips, but correspondingly cost a bit more, which is worth it for me if I can avoid this problem since I'd say the TV is for about 60% gaming 40% TV/Movie.

15. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Flying Big :hiya:

Agreed. It doesnt sound right at all. [​IMG]

Does this delay still happen with all the picture processing off? ie no picture noise reduction or what ever feature the samsung has. :confused:

16. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Should be taking delivery of My SP46 tomorrow :D
    Will of course spend loads of time playing with it and will report any feedback re: gaming lag.

17. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I too am considering either the Samsung SP46L6HX or the Toshiba 46WM48P mainly for gaming purposes. (Well, I have to consider the Tosh 37WL56 LCD as well but that's another story).
    They're both well priced and have all the connections I need. I have heard that generally the Sammy has a better PQ but I am worried by this lag and synch problem as some people have reported.
    I will be reading this thread often to see how things are going. I hope everyone has no problems at all! :smashin:

18. lca

lca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you give us some feedback m8

19. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Well I have the SP46 and use it with a US Ntsc PS2. Games I've used include GT4, Resident Evil 4, Tekken 5 and MGS3.
    Firstly about lag. Some say it is there and maybe, just maybe there is. Personally I really could'nt tell. Maybe I'm too slow to tell if there's lag. If there is I think you'd be hard pushed to notice it. But it may be a subjective thing. Personally I'd still go for a DLP over plasma regardless of lag as there's no worry of burn in on a DLP unlike plasma displays.
    Secondly games in widescreen won't quite fit the width of the screen. This is due to the games widescreen being made to fit CRT tv's. DLP's, plasma's etc show more screen width than CRT so you will see gaps left and right of the picture. So don't worry about it.
    Thirdly connect your games machine via component (which you knew already I'm sure). Games in progressive scan benefit greatly when on a gig screen. With the exception of MGS3 all the above games have progressive scan and look very good. GT4 even has 1080i!
    Anyway I'm happy to sing its praises as a display for gaming. However you should find out as much about the SP46 as possible before getting one. Seeing one on display is a good idea as is demoing your games console on it.

20. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I have the SP50 and experience no lag with the xbox 360. I guess that there would be lass chance of lag with the 360n at 720p as you are sending the native resolution and the TV has to do less to get the image onto the screen. Maybe with an older console when the TV has to upscale there is more lag. Totally guessing here though.

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    I have a RD65 and a xbox360 and no lag is present. In fact all looks beautifiul. :D

22. lca

lca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnx for the input lads i have a techwood plasma atm but i think i may upgrade to the sammy very soon :) .hows the quality with sky+ & dvd movies btw?

23. Bacus

Bacus
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,682
    I have a copy of HALO 2 from the states and running through a moddex xbox, on my SP50 the PQ is stunning !! :D