Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recommendations for cheap Broadband ISPs please

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Triggaaar, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    I'm after a cheap provider, with presumably 512k. I want to be able to use xbox live, and not sure I need more than 512k (I guess upload is the important bit for xbox).

I see there's lots of info already on the forum, and will continue to search, but the searches I've done seem to point to reasonably expensive providers. Has anyone got any good experience of sub £20/month ISPs? (like Plusnet or ndo)?

Thanks

2. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been with Plusnet for 10 months and I have never regreted my choice of ISP. From the initial process of signing up to the present day I can honestly say I have not had a problem that is not explained by their status reports. I have never had to resort to their telephone help line. I persuaded a friend to go with plusnet and he selected the standard package complete with Binatone USB modem. He experienced problems with he modem but Binatone imediately identified the problem as incorrect Plusnet username and he was soon surfing at 512k.
    I am always reluctant to make recommendations because acceptable standards are so subjective but you are right to include Plusnet on your initial short list.

Tony M

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    I was looking at ISPreview.co.uk when plusnet came out with their £15 package. Looking at user reviews now, its seems the newer customers are not as happy. Maybe they've not been able to keep their level of service recently for newcomers, following good reviews and a rise in demand. Seems like a high activation fee at the moment (£70).

Pipex actually looking fairly good value - only have to pay a fee if you don't stay with them for 12 months, and package includes modem + filters. £23.44 for 512k, no limit.

Filters for seperating voice & internet calls:
    If you plug your PC into one of you buildings 5 telephone sockets, do you need 1, or 5 filters?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    You need a filter for every phone socket that is in use - for either broadband modem or phone unless you plug the extenbsions into the phone socket (rather than hard wired into the back of the box), in which case you can just plug them into the filter first.

I use Nildram.co.uk and they charge around £22/m inc VAT and I have never had any problems with their service in just over a year. The contract is for a minimum of 1 month with no penalties for cancelling.
    I found them via www.adslguide.com and they came recommended as having a good connection speed and excellent customer service (which thankfully I have never needed).

Mark.

5. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'll second Tony's comment. Signed up with them about a month ago, and been delighted with the level of service and communication. I opted for the 2Mb connection (£31.99 p/m).

The biggie with them as well is that you are not on a yearly contract, which means if you don't like it, you can change providers easily.

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Did you not pay a sizeable setup fee? There packages seem good (between £15 & £22 depending on how much you download) and changing providers if you don't like them is good, but not if you've just paid £70.50 activation fee!

7. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The activation is a one off, and needs to be carried out anyway.
    The ISP themselves do not carry this out, it's BT.

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,160
    Ah - so if you change providers, you wouldn't need to pay a new fee for the new ISP?

9. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pringtef
    I have been looking around for a 1 or 2mb service for a while now, and the plusnet 2mb deal seems very cheap - but what about the download caps? Is this not an issue for you, cause it certainly would be if 5gb is the monthly limit!

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I've been with www.pipex.net for about 18months now. They're not the cheapest but I always get a good connetion and a very stable service. They offer many packages at various prices and can provide any hardware should you need any.Worth checking out at least imo:)

11. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you're not downloading a lot of 'media' then for a bargain basement package I'd recommend freedom2surf. For £14.99/month you get a 1Mbit connection metered to 1Gb but unmetered between 1am and 6am. You have to pay a set up fee and they don't give you a free modem, however the minimum contract is 1 month and I'm getting > 900Mbit/sec when I do a speed test. I've only had it for a month but have had no problems.

Cheers

Simon

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Bulldog primetime
    £29.99 a month
    2M upload
    512 download
    After 6pm and weekends ( 512 up and 256 down all other times , I actually find it gets up to about 1M)

I didn't pay a startup fee but you are locked into a 12 month contract otherwise you can pay £50 and get a 3 month contract

Some places in central London may be able to get 4M for the same price.