Recommendations for Budget TV

raven219

Prominent Member
Reaction score
East Anglia (well someone has to live there!)
Posting on behalf of a friend who is considering buying a TV for his parents. He is looking for a nicam 28" W/S model (preferably with a stand) that simple enough to operate. He is thinking about the JVC AV-28WT5. Any opinons on this model (good or bad) or any other recommendations?

TIA

I don't know anything about the JVC AV-28WT5 but when I was looking for a set a few weeks ago I looked extensively as the selection in John Lewis, Debenhams and Selfridges in London to try and get a look at the widest selection.

In the end I decided to go for either the Philips 28PW6006 (£319.96 http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/product...hopid=SHOPCBDBCCBEICGMXKA1606UXWN0318EAHP7471 without the stand or £379.99 with the stand plus delivery http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/product...hopid=SHOPCBDBCCBEICGMXKA1606UXWN0318EAHP7471) or the Bush 28" 6673, £269 from Argos http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/comme...9&prmenbr=6970&type=big&thisMode=ols&cgrfnbr= in the end I decided to go for the Bush, which has, considering the price, a very good picture. The best idea it to try and have a look yourself.

i have just recently bought one of these seta from unbeatable and can throughly recommened it to anyone looking for a 28 inch widescreen tv. Both the 28 and 32 inch models have now been given the best buy award by what tv and video mag.

I just got a 28wt5 from JL after having a Panny 32PB50 with a defective screen. After spending weeks of agonising over which tv to get I was gutted at spending £1300 on a naff one, so I got a refund and went to the other end of the scale.
Obviously it's not as sharp as a 100 hz, or have as many features but for a third of the price I think it's brilliant, and it looks good too.
I got JL to price match at £430.

I have one of these sets which has now been replaced by the AV28CK1EK.

It cost less then £400 has a great picture and an easily accessible service menu if you dare to tweak. It also has 3 SCARTS which is rare at the price.

Only criticism is that the sound is below average for a TV

Patrick

I have a Philips 28PW6006 and am very pleased with it. Picture quality is excellent. Only one downside is that on the side AV panel there is no S-video socket - it has 2 scarts on the back though (1 RGB, the other S-video) which is fine for my uses.

Just a quick warning that myself and at least one other has had problems with rgb input on this Tv. v. bad ghosting and interference problems. Hopefully it is only a dodgy set but I would suggest you check it with a device if good rgb is important to you.

I take it the 6006 owners in this thread have had no rgb problems so I live in hope that it is only some sets that have the problem as they seem fantastic in all other respects.

--
rmg.

Yup, no RGB probs seen yet on my PW6006 after 8 months of usage (touches wood, crosses everything he can). Good lord I think I'm actually happy with my TV set at the moment, am I the only person on this forum who can say that? :clown:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom