Recommendations for an HDMI switch with optical/coax SPDIF output

Arfa

I'm currently shopping for kit I need for my modest home cinema setup. I'm a bit behind the times, still using an old Primare processor with no HDMI gubbins on it and a Cambridge Audio bluray play with 7.1 analogue out going to the processor. I'm about to swap from a TV with a bunch of HDMI inputs and optical output to a projector mounted on the ceiling on the end of a single HDMI cable. So, I could do with a decent HDMI switch with an optical output.

Need about 4+ inputs (for Blu-ray, PlayStation, AppleTV or Prime Cube and maybe a live TV tuner).
Will need digital output (optical or coax) to get sound into the processor from everything other than the blu-ray using 7.1 analogue.
Currently slumming it at 1080p and never watch 3d stuff. But it'd be nice to get a decent switch that could handle 4k at a later point.

Granted SPDIF doesn't have the bandwidth for hi-res audio, but so long as I can get DD5.1 for the non-bluray stuff I'll be happy. It'll only be a few streamed things that be bottlenecked by this.

Spotted this Lindy one:
Any good?

Any other brands worth going for? I'm always a bit wary of the random Chinese brands on Amazon.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Does your Primare offer you a user adjustable delay for analogue and digital audio and or do all of your Source devices have user adjustable audio delay?

Joe

Arfa

Hmm, looks like there are some options to add delay to each speaker channel. Seems to be more geared up to ensure speakers located at different distances from the listener hit you all at the same time. Nonetheless, it appears it could be used to add between 1-100ms of delay to each/all speakers.

What are you thinking? That a switch with audio extraction will add delay to the video output? Are some brands of switch better than others in this regard? Will my Primare's delay options suffice?
Better to just a straight switch and feed audio separately from each device? (not that an Amazon cube has an audio out...)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The Projector is very likely to add a delay to the video signal (which can vary depending on the input signal format) and you will want to be able to match that delay somewhere in the audio signal chain.

Which Primare processor do you have?

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
So no ability in the Primare to delay/adjust the audio on the fly or globally to keep the audio in sync with the video, you are going to have to experiment with each Source to ensure you can keep the video and audio in sync.

The 4x1 Switch with audio extraction you linked to is worth a try as a suitable Switch, it will not add any discernible delay or offer any user adjustment.

Joe

PS Most/all of the big brands use OEM and ODM suppliers and the majority of those suppliers are in China.

Arfa

So no ability in the Primare to delay/adjust the audio on the fly or globally to keep the audio in sync with the video, you are going to have to experiment with each Source to ensure you can keep the video and audio in sync.
So, just for my understanding, if you suspect it is the projector itself that will incur a delay to the video (presumably based on whatever processing is enabled on it), would that not be a constant delay regardless of source, as all sources would be going via the same switch to the same input on the projector? (Unless I change Projector video processing modes when swapping sources, but I could just avoid doing this) And assuming this constant delay is no greater than 140ms, so I can counter it via the speaker delay settings on the Primare, then I'm all good?

Similarly, adding a HDMI switch into the chain, would it not at worst just add a fixed delay to any source?

If each source does indeed need a slightly different delay, surely I would have noticed that in my current setup? Or at least they must be close enough for me not to have noticed! Either way, surely a constant video delay for all sources could be countered by a constant audio delay and thus would be no worse than what I have now?

FWIW, my Bluray Player is a Cambridge Audio 751BD using Analogues outs, which also has the option to add speaker delay per channel. So I can mirror the same delay there as needed. I'm pretty sure the Primare will skip all processing on the 7.1 analogue inputs and just pass straight through.

FWIW my dislike for Chinese gear is more targeted at the splurge of random brands you see on Amazon, with dubious reviews, constantly changing specs and the poor quality I've experienced from them - I've often found stuff like this pot luck and rarely with much longevity. I totally understand almost all kit will have components that have been manufactured in China, but I'd hope a decent brand would have decent QA, warranty, reliability, predictable specs etc.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Your Projector (any Projector) will tend to add a processing delay and that can vary dependent on the format of the incoming signal (HD, 4K, SDR, HDR, 60Hz, 50Hz, 24p etc) and any additional processing the projector offers/you enable.

When you connect your Source(s) to the TV then output audio from the TV the TV will automatically allow for any processing delay the TV adds to the video signal - that will not be the case when you are not taking your Source Video+Audio signal to the Projector and then returning audio from the Projector to the sound system.

The visibility of Lip sync on a TV is very different to noticing lip-sync on a projected image which is multiple times the size of your TV.

The speaker settings in your AV Processor should be used to optimise the speakers in the room and are separate to having the ability to delay the audio to keep it in sync with the video.

An HDMI Switch will not normally process the signal so adds no, or minimal, delay to the video and audio when separating the audio out of the video stream.

Once you hook up the kit you will know if it is something you will need to address or not.

Joe

Arfa

Ah, good to know. I didn't realise the delay could vary so much depending on input format. Agreed, it's probably something I'm going to have to try and see if it becomes a problem.

Yep, agreed the speaker delay settings should be for optimising the room, but they did appear as though they could be shoe-horned for a general audio delay too. Guess it's just a case of whether there's enough range there to delay the audio and still allow per channel delay as needed relative to one another.

Good to have the heads up nonetheless. Many thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Where your Source has HDMI + Optical Out you can usually delay the Optical Out in the user settings so those source devices may be better as HDMI > Switch plus Optical direct to Primare and toggle Inputs on the Primare.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom