Quantcast

Recommendations for a Video converter

The Grandfather

Father Christmas has come early and brought me a new 4K HD Sony TV. The price of progress is that it has no Scart or Component inputs.
I have an old but perfect Pioneer 656 DVD player and an old VCR. The DVD player can be replaced easily and cheaply but I have a load of old VHS tapes that I sometimes watch.
Can anyone recommend a converter that will use the RGB (in the SCART cable) output for the VCR.
I have seen a couple on Amazon and on eBay but am not sure.
I need Scart and if possible component to HDMI.
Help - stop me dithering.

Nick

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Does the TV not have an AV input (which should be composie video)? A component video input would also not be much use as I have yet to see a European VCR with component video output ( I have a US import HD VHS VCR with such). Are you confusing composite and component - a very common mistake? Note also that most VCRs only output composite video on Europlug (SCART) sockets

The Grandfather

There is a composite video input but no audio input.
I would like to use the higher quality RGB signal which is available on the SCART output on the VCR - plus it will carry the sound without extra cables. ( I already have a very high quality SCART cable)

The component would only be useful for the old Pioneer 656 but SCART is really wanted for my old VCR.
My old VHS tapes are in some cases grainy very old black and white train videos and every bit of quality I can get will be worth it. Hence the hoped for use of a RGB signal.

There are a few different and cheap items on Amazon and eBay and I only posted in the hope that some member might have had some experience, good or bad, of any of these converters. Hopefully someone has.

Nick

Last edited:

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
What make and model of VCR and TV? Very few VCRs actually output RGB on a SCART connection and those that do have internal circuitry to convert a composite signal from the tape. Your TV also has a converter to convert a composite video signal for display. If it is a decent TV it is extremely unlikely that the combination of the VCR's internal upconverter (if indeed it does have one - which I doubt) and an external converter will perform better than the TV's internal converter. We need the makes and models to comment further and if a converter would work what type (composite or RGB to hdmi).
Although a SCART connecter can carry RGB signals most on old VCRs only carry composite video.

The Grandfather

Hi both, Thanks for the replies. Dave - I have looked at the socket on the tv. My mistake. It’s yellow and I thought that it was only video. On closer inspection it is not an RCA type socket but it looks like a mini jack socket so therefore will be both video and two audio channels.

JayCee - Thanks for the post, it made me have a really good peer at the ‘offending’ yellow socket.

I have ordered a cheap cable from eBay and when it arrives I’ll have a play.
Now being a boy who likes toys (don’t we all - especially on this forum) I still fancy one of the converters being sold by Amazon and eBay.

Thanks again both and if anyone has any experience on the converters I hanker after please give me the benefit of your experience.

Cheers. Nick

The Grandfather

Dave The Tv is a Sony Bravia KD - 55XG9505 and the VCR is Panasonic and a late model but it is up in the loft as I thought that I would not be able to use it. Interesting about the conversion of composite to RGB etc .
The tv is brilliant and I am still finding all sorts of settings buried deep down in the various settings menus. Luckily for me my son has bought the same tv so we can give and receive guidance!!

Thanks for the interest.

Nick

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Before you invest in any convertor or cables check the VCR is still working.
If it's been stored for a while in a cold loft bring it down, plug it in but DO NOT insert a tape.
Leave it overnight until it reaches room temperature and condensation disappears before inserting a tape.

The Grandfather

Dave. I have retrieved my VCR from the loft for acclimatisation - thanks for the reminder JayCee.
Its model number is NV-HV61EB-S. So if you have any particular information about this model I would be very pleased if you would share it.
Thanks

Nick

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member

The Grandfather

Hi. Thank you for the info. Especially the link for the PDF Handbook - much appreciated.
Playing and messing about with my kit will keep me occupied while the winter keeps me out of the garden.
i have seen this piece of kit during my searching.

DIGITNOW! VHS to Digital Video Converter , Video: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It’s a bit expensive as a pure toy but could be the final solution to all my old VHS Train and Aircraft tapes. We’ll see.
Anyway thank again for all your time and trouble.

Nick

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Hi. Thank you for the info. Especially the link for the PDF Handbook - much appreciated.
Playing and messing about with my kit will keep me occupied while the winter keeps me out of the garden.
i have seen this piece of kit during my searching.

DIGITNOW! VHS to Digital Video Converter , Video: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It’s a bit expensive as a pure toy but could be the final solution to all my old VHS Train and Aircraft tapes. We’ll see.
Anyway thank again for all your time and trouble.

Nick
A simple cable to your PC will enable archiving to VCD, DVD, SD card or USB stick for considerably less (£5.99 in this case)

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
My experience of video converters (upscalers) is that they do work but output quality is directly linked to price.
The el cheapo ones on ebat and Amazon were only just about comparable to the inbuilt converters in low end supermarket own brand TVs and definitely worse than a mid range tV (near top of Toshiba range. To equal your Sony TV you would need to pay well into 3 figures for a semi professional device. I have one of the Amazon devices but only use it rarely when I need to connect something temporarily and my AV connection is already in use. My AV equipment collection covers over 50 years from vinyl video disc players (CED with needle stylus and VHD with capacative stylus) to HD VHS tape recorder to 4k bluray.

The best picture from VHS I have is from the HDMI output on my Panasinic Freeview VHS and DVD recorder but this is I believe down to both the internal upscaler and video processing of the signal within it.

So basically I think you will be wasting your money on the Amazon/ebay ones

Last edited:

The Grandfather

Dave - Thank you again. A lot to read and assimilate. I’m off out for the day. Sons and their cars!!
I’ll have a proper read etc later. Looks like you have saved me some money.

Cheers. Nick

The Grandfather

Dave, Just a quick note to say that the SCART to Composite Video and Audio L+R adaptor arrived as did the cable . The cable was u/s and has been returned - luckily my son has the same type of cable and it is a good one. All now works and at minimal cost - thanks to you.
You are quite correct the picture is excellent especially when you consider that it is a VHS tape at CVBS to a 55inch 4K TV. I am once again enjoying my old train videos - must get them transcribed to DVD.
I have now sold the Pioneer 656 to a good home and will be buying a BlueRay player soon.

Thanks again
Nick

winston2010

As scart already has both composite video and audio outputs on pins 19, 1, and 3 any form of adapter is just a con. Look at the scart connector diagram at the end of the Panasonic manual you downloaded.
Did you pay a lot of money for the so called adapter?

The Grandfather

My particular video recorder does not have the yellow RCA connector that carries the CVBS signal so I bought a cheap SCART to three RCA connectors. The pinning of the SCART does indeed show that it can export both CVBS and RGB signals.
The VCR does have the red and white connectors for the audio out.
I use it to connect the VCR to my TV . The tv, like most new and modern tvs, does not have a SCART connector. Why would it as I am a dinosaur in still using a VCR for some old tapes.
I used to have access to a DVD writer but it expired before I got all the old tapes transcribed so I’m stuck as even buying an old secondhand writer is uneconomic for the remaining tapes.
This is the only way it can be done and surprisingly, gives reasonable results. My TV is a pretty good one and as such it’s scaling engine/standards converter is pretty good.
Hope this answers all your questions.

Nick

Trending threads

Top Bottom