Recommendations for a USB turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by broz, Jan 15, 2008.

1. broz

broz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, want to convert my vinyl collection to MP3. Lots of turntables out there that will do it but does anyone have experiences or recommendations that would help me decide which one to go for? Never one to go for the cheapest! Cheers.

2. idiotec

idiotec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you need one? Depending on your current setup, you may be better off using the Tape Out on your preamp to a capture device on the computer rather than get a USB turntable.

Also, instead of MP3, I highly suggest using a "lossless" format such as WMA Lossless, FLAC, or WAV.

3. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    ProJect Debut USB will give you great quality for the price.

As stated above, if you compress them to mp3 you are wasting the money you paid to get good quality!

4. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    When I looked into this I also found out project do a phono stage with a usb connection so you could connect an existing turntable to that.

Also further to the lossless things above if you compress everything to lossless you can then transcode it to mp3 if you need it to go on a portable player or such as it is similar to using winzip, it keeps the whole original wav quality file, just zip's it up to make it smaller. Or so I'm told.

5. broz

broz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top advice guys, thanks. Idiotec's suggestion is sound. As was pointed out to me recently I've got a pretty decent sound card (M Audio Audiophile 24/96) so why not use it. So now looking for a half decent turntable (without phono stage) to run thru my amp then 'tape out' to the sound card. Been looking at the Pro-Ject range Proux and they're coming out favourite on my budget. Capturing in a 'lossless' format makes sense but is something I have no experience of so kind of hoping the software that came with the sound card would enable this?

6. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I'm just reading up on lossless stuff myself so I don't fully know about them. However you can rip to lossless with loads of things, Winamp apparently does FLAC and you can download Monkey Audio's own app to do APE. Or theres EAC which I think does everything (FLAC and other lossless things plus mp3 etc). I've heard theres a bit of configuring to get lossless working properly but is well worth it as is a perfect copy of whatever you rip.

On the turntables try the Project Genie, it sounds great for the price (about £120)

7. AbbyW

AbbyW
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    broz, I know you didn't want to go cheap, but you might want to know about the Numark TTi, which transfers directly to PC, or to iPod using a built-in universal dock. Definitely not audiophile but quite good.

I saw it for $300 here in the states at http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4219922

8. Neilypeel

Neilypeel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm considering buying the Project Debut III USB turntable to replace my old Dual deck. I don't just want to transfer my vinyl though, I want to play it from the deck as well.

Is the Debut III a decent deck, regardless of any extra USB stuff on it?

9. chevvies

chevvies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently bought the Pro-Ject Debut III USB/Phono version for the same reasons as yourself - very good it is too! About £200 ish.

10. Neilypeel

Neilypeel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I still haven't bought a new turntable yet, but aim to buy next month. Can anybody recommend the Numark TTi? Noticed it is an Automatic turntable (what I'm used to), where the Project isn't.

It's got the USB port and seems to come with all the relevant software.

Anybody got one?

11. chevvies

chevvies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For a former Dual user, I would stick with ProJect, automatic no but more audiophile than Numark? Yes.

12. Neilypeel

Neilypeel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers, I did quite like the Dual sound and looking at reviews I know the Project will sound impressive. Just wondered about how the Numark would sound. If there was a slight drop in quality, I could put up with that for extra convenience.

The Project is also about £80 more expensive.