Recommendations for a Tablet for parents

chump

Hope it's okay to post in General with this. I thought it would get a wider selection of recommendations here.

My parents want to replace their cumbersome laptop with a tablet. They currently only use the laptop for browsing on the internet and read emails so it is surplus to requirements.

They have asked me to look into getting them a tablet which would only be used for browsing the internet and a using a few apps like Facebook, Internet banking etc etc

As they are in their 60s they don't need the latest and greatest device. The camera it comes with is not important as it won't be used. It only needs WiFi - doesn't need 3G. They have an Apple iPhone 4s between them but myself I have an android tablet and phone and a Windows Desktop PC. So really it doesn't matter what OS it runs either. We don't have any loyalty with any particular brand.

Finally don't really want to spend more than £200 if possible and I think it'd make sense to have a fairly large screen as they will be used to a laptop screen and eyesight is a contributing factor.

There's just such a plethora of different tablets out there it's difficult to know where to start?

Does anyone have any experience with the Amazon Fire tablets as I have been looking at them recently?

I'd like it to be new but would consider second hand from the right place.

Can anyone recommend a tablet that would fit the bill for them?

drhcnip

Distinguished Member
my inlaws (81 & 76) often follow my wife with their purchases and the happiest they've been with a tablet is the hudl 2 (as is my wife)...followed by the nexus 10, but we weren't that keen on that....

js58

My parents were in the same position so my brother bought them an iPad Mini. They're very happy with it and because Apple products tend to be fairly hassle free (in my experience) it's quite rare that I get any requests for "tech support".

I've just had a look on Amazon and it looks like an iPad is going to stretch/smash your budget. But, in my opinion, it was worth the extra money for my parents. If they were a bit more confident with technology then I might have considered an Android tablet.

chump

my inlaws (81 & 76) often follow my wife with their purchases and the happiest they've been with a tablet is the hudl 2 (as is my wife)...followed by the nexus 10, but we weren't that keen on that....
I was looking at the Hudl2 as well but given that Tesco have recently announced that they will no longer be making them - in my mind this is a discontinued product now and therefore a little concerning regarding support and future updates.

chump

My parents were in the same position so my brother bought them an iPad Mini. They're very happy with it and because Apple products tend to be fairly hassle free (in my experience) it's quite rare that I get any requests for "tech support".

I've just had a look on Amazon and it looks like an iPad is going to stretch/smash your budget. But, in my opinion, it was worth the extra money for my parents. If they were a bit more confident with technology then I might have considered an Android tablet.
Why not but a refurbished one from the Apple store, a 16gb iPad mini is slightly over your budget but not by much (£249).
I am keen on an iPad - it's just they are so much more expensive than many from other manufacturers and given the type of use that it will get I wonder whether the additional premium is worth it?

The iPad mini i feel will be too small for them so would be forced down the iPad Air route which is way out of the price range :(

IronGiant

If they already use Iphones then I would suggest an Ipad too. The problem with Amazon Fire is that it locks you into the Amazon family to some extend, but for their use it might not matter. My wife is still more than happy with her Ipad 2 for general browsing etc. I'm very happy with my Mk1 Nexus 10, and would certainly look at them if it needed replacing.

chump

If they already use Iphones then I would suggest an Ipad too. The problem with Amazon Fire is that it locks you into the Amazon family to some extend, but for their use it might not matter. My wife is still more than happy with her Ipad 2 for general browsing etc. I'm very happy with my Mk1 Nexus 10, and would certainly look at them if it needed replacing.
We might end up having to bite the bullet and go down the iPad route. I would have bought second hand but they hold they're value so annoyingly well :D

hippo99

Distinguished Member
We might end up having to bite the bullet and go down the iPad route. I would have bought second hand but they hold they're value so annoyingly well :D
How about this?
Grade A iPad Air 16gb, £205 delivered so in budget.
Grade A means should be 'as new' condition.
Apple iPad Air 1 16GB WiFi Grade A Grey £199.99 - delivery £4.99 @ smartfonestore

Seems to be legit retailer based on comments in that thread & other threads (could pay by PayPal as well). Only 7 left in stock so prob don't take too long to decide if your parents want to go for it :smashin:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
The iPad mini i feel will be too small for them
Get them to check one out for size. As long as the eyesight issues can be addressed by glasses then the Mini 2 is very usable. £219 at John Lewis with a 3 year warranty.

Buy Apple iPad mini 2, Apple A7, iOS 8, 7.9", Wi-Fi, 16GB | John Lewis

I work with iPads & iPhones all day long & hate the way everything is tied down. But that's what makes them ideal for those with limited technical knowledge & makes them harder to "break".

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
iPad easily. Bullet proof for none techie people.

Androids/Linux/Windows will all have technical problems/viruses etc to worry about and you will be their tech support.

Huddle also has issues with USB connector breaking, had to replace one for SIL.

Dony

Distinguished Member

Androids/Linux/Windows will all have technical problems/viruses etc to worry about and you will be their tech support.

Was that the Hudl 1 or 2? We had to replace my daughter's Hudl 1 three times under warranty, aside from that it's been good. If the issue was sorted out I definitely consider a Hudl 2. Value for money nothing else is close.

I'm currently looking at either a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or S2 8.0 as an upgrade on my other daughters Kindle.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Was that the Hudl 1 or 2? We had to replace my daughter's Hudl 1 three times under warranty, aside from that it's been good. If the issue was sorted out I definitely consider a Hudl 2. Value for money nothing else is close.

I'm currently looking at either a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or S2 8.0 as an upgrade on my other daughters Kindle.
Don't know sorry.
It was pink lol

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
If you can afford it, I'd go with an iPad. If they are used to the iPhone then consistency of apps and operating system will make it simpler. I would only go with a full size - mini's at that age are becoming harder, even with glasses.

Having an iPad also means that you can link it to the iPhone which means texts can be received on both devices. If they're not using the text on their phone then start them off with texting on the iPad, it's a bigger keyboard which makes it much easier to learn

clc.sheff

Distinguished Member
I got my 70 yr old luddite parents in law an IPad for Xmas last year.

From being totally intimidated by technology they now:

shop, bank, Skype and email. Facebook, YouTube, watch iPlayer, Netflix etc. Utilise maps / get directions, browse, read and probably more.

They do cost a bit more but the simplicity of just having a simple one button device that makes it so easy for more elderly users. Well worth the extra outlay in my view.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
I got my 70 yr old luddite parents in law an IPad for Xmas last year.

From being totally intimidated by technology they now:

shop, bank, Skype and email. Facebook, YouTube, watch iPlayer, Netflix etc. Utilise maps / get directions, browse, read and probably more.

They do cost a bit more but the simplicity of just having a simple one button device that makes it so easy for more elderly users. Well worth the extra outlay in my view.
I got one for my MIL in her late 70s, started her off with a few relevant apps. ('Hid' all the unwanted Apple Apps in a folder) and then introduced her to something new each time we saw her. She loves it and never goes anywhere without it!

Couple of Christmas's ago I set her up on Facebook. I should say that she was adamant that she didn't want a Facebook account and my husband said I shouldn't force her, but she has three children and four adult grand children most of whom post moderately frequently. Within a couple of months she was completely hooked, though it took a bit longer before she was brave enough to click the like button:)

She has however admitted that I was right to 'force' her (and thanked me) as she loves seeing updates from the family. Think this will be even more true now she has pictures of first great grandchild to look at

DVD-Man

iPad recommended here too, 2 iPads later, only had 1 call for support in 4 years.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Linx 7 or linx 10 depending on the size you want
Upgraded mine to Windows 10 and it's excellent

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member

Oh you and your Apple devices don't get viruses rhetoric.

Personally, if they have used Windows then get the Linx. If they are comfortable with Apple products an Ipad should also be a no brainer.

If they are happy buying into the Amazon infrastructure Kindle fires are easy enough to use

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Oh you and your Apple devices don't get viruses rhetoric.

Personally, if they have used Windows then get the Linx. If they are comfortable with Apple products an Ipad should also be a no brainer.

If they are happy buying into the Amazon infrastructure Kindle fires are easy enough to use
My rhetoric? I was defending PC's against Macs in that other thread.
Fact is, IOS is practically a closed system and chances of your gran getting a virus or any other problems on it is very limited. Switch to android and they will have popups galore and you will be on the end of a very busy technical support line from them.

Android is a poor choice of OS for anyone who is a technophobe and is very high maintenance. Quite frankly it's a mess.

qwerty321

I think it is pretty much decided, and as an Android guy, I would say iPad as well. They are already familiar with iOS via the iPhone and should be able to use most their existing apps as well.

However, the Nexus 9 is a great device for the £200 it is selling at. We recently got some in the office for app testing and I ended up buying one on impulse.

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
My rhetoric? I was defending PC's against Macs in that other thread.
Fact is, IOS is practically a closed system and chances of your gran getting a virus or any other problems on it is very limited. Switch to android and they will have popups galore and you will be on the end of a very busy technical support line from them.

Android is a poor choice of OS for anyone who is a technophobe and is very high maintenance. Quite frankly it's a mess.
My gran is dead, she died of a virus.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett