Recommendations for a new TV

J

janet.broad1@bt

Hi, i'm looking to buy a new LCD TV. I think that 32inch is probably the size as the room it is going in isnt too big. Very confused at to whether i need it to be HD (whats the differnece between HD ready and true HD).
I definatley want freeview so that I can cut down on the cables at the back. Was considering the sharp lc32gd7e
Any suggestions please!

If the resolution is 1280x720 or over, has progressive scan and has either an HDMI or a DVI connection then it's considered HD Ready.

32" screens start at around £800 and go upto around £1600 for the really high spec jobbies.

Some popular screens on here are:
JVC LT-32DS6
Samsung LE32R41B
Hitachi 32LD7200

It all depends on your budget really?

Dan Gleebitz,
thanks for the information. I really want to spend as least as poss. Is it worth spending more money?

The Sanyo 32LD4 range isn't bad and has built in freeview although connectivity is poor. I'm happy with the one I just bought.

The Crown 32 from Woolworths has good reviews.

HTH,
Neil

Dan Gleebitz said:
If the resolution is 1280x720 or over, has progressive scan and has either an HDMI or a DVI connection then it's considered HD Ready.

If it's DVI, you need to check that it's HDCP enabled.

Cheers

Martin.

After looking through these forums, the Toshiba 32WLT58 seems a good choice with it being High Definition ready and having most of the connections that you're going to need for futureproofing.

At £1000 it's not badly priced, and various on-line shops are throwing in a free floor stand.

Oh, and most importantly the picture quality is supposed to be very good...

http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model.php?ID=2286

janet.broad1@bt said:
DVI? HDCP? Help!!

There are two sorts of digital connection for High Definition content - one is DVI, the other HDMI.

HDMI always has HDCP (High-bandwith Digital Content Protection) whilst not all DVI interfaces have - you need to check.

HDCP is the chosen form of copy protection to ensure that people cannot copy digital content that the copyright holders do not want to be copied, and all such protected programs will have HDCP encoded and, if the receiving medium does not have it, you will not be able to view it.

Therefore, to be sure that you are fully HD Ready, you need to ensure that your receiving device (TV) has HDCP.

Trust this makes sense.

Cheers,

Martin.

mjcairney
Cheers for this. It makes perfect sense now, i just need to print this off to remeber it.
Kowkow, thanks for the ink, I'll have a look and post back
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom