Recommendations for a new surround setup!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Unlight, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok,

At the moment Ive got the Pioneer VSXC301 reciever and an awful set of Yamaha speakers + sub that I got from Richer Sounds (guess you cant really complain - 80 quid for the whole speaker package). I am happy with the reciever for the moment though, not least because it has a rather handy 4 RGB switching feature. I just feel the speakers arent up to much, and beginning to annoy me.

Im taking steps into upgrading my system, and want to start with my speakers.

Im after a 5.1 (maybe a 6.1) surround setup, including sub, for about £600 - £700 or so. Will probably need floorstanding fronts at least.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could get Tannoy Fusion 4s as fronts, a Fusion Centre, and Fusion 1s as rears. The Fusion 4s got a good review in a recent issue of Hifi Choice. I'm using Fusion 2s as fronts and a Fusion Centre and they're very good.

Combine that lot with a Morduant Short MS309 subwoofer (5 stars in a recent issue of What Hifi) and you probably couldn't go wrong. The whole lot costs just over £650 from www.PeterTyson.co.uk.

If I were you I'd go to a few shops and have a good listen to quite a few different speakers before you rush into anything though.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I used to have a c301 but didn't like it - very hollow sounding and lacking attack & drive (but you get what you're given at that price point). Small & slim though! The best feature is indeed the RGB switching (though I am happier using a more flexible dedicated switchbox).

I second andy's suggestion of Tannoy Fusions. Great value....

or a 7.1 mordaunt short package with 904 fronts.....

or the ubiquitos Acoustic Energy Evo 3B's package......

maybe wharfedale diamonds are your cup of tea?

The celestion avp305 is in your $ range and looks rather cool.

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 package, if you have speaker stands?

All of these should be available around £600-700 if you shop around, but deserve better amplification!

DT