Recommendations for a new lens for Disneyworld, Florida

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by liamis2cool, Jan 9, 2012.

1. liamis2cool

liamis2cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    As above,

am heading out to Florida in May for my daughters first trip,

i only purchased my Canon 550d in October and came with a standard 18-55 kit lens, i picked up a 50mm 1.8 recently but just curious what people would consider taking to disneyworld, on a few websites they generally said that very rarley did they go above 60mm or so unless shooting animals in the animal kingdom.

i did look at the Canon EF 28-135mm U f/3,5-5.6 IS USM lens, but that be a wise step up to take from the 18-55 whilst im still learning.?

any other recommendations ?

Cheers

2. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You haven't mentioned how much you would like to spend and if your happy to swap lenses and use third party ones.

It would be easy to say, get a 17-55 & a 70-200 F4 IS but I'm guessing that your not looking to spend >£1,500 on a couple of lenses.

If I were you I'd look at the Canon 18-135mm too it's an excellent lens for the money.

Used one a lot on my 60D and in fact still have it.

It's great having the extra reach when needed without swapping lenses and it's not too bad a lens for the money.
    With that you could leave the 18-55 at home and just take the 2 with you.

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +628
    Hi.
    There will be plenty of other recommendations and you sound like you have plenty of time to make a choice.
    My recommendation if money isnt tight would be to get a Canon 15-85IS but its not cheap. I feel this would be THE lens for Disney.

Ive been to Florida twice with the family and i agree with your findings, i really didnt need over 50mm most of the time.
    I had a 24-105L the first time i booked but at the last min i got a 17-55IS and left the longer lens at home. I was worried about the lack of reach for the animals etc but it was never really a problem (the lens is sharp enough that i could crop in quite heavily).
    The second trip i did take the 24-105L and left the 17-55IS at home, and both times took my 50mm for the night parades.
    This trip i felt the longer reach was nice to have and i didnt miss the wider end. I think part of this was to do with having shot over 1000 images on the first trip, so this trip i concentrated on getting more family shots rather than the Parks themselves.

I guess thats not really an answer, just my experience. I do think the 18-55IS would be fine for most things but yes, the 28-135IS would be more useful as an all round lens. Make sure you take the 50mm as well though.
    There is a huge difference between 18mm and 28mm, i would personally find 28mm restricting in the parks, especially if its going to be busy (when is it not)

Another option is if you are planing on keeping the 18-55IS what about the 55-250IS? This would allow you to get shots of the family on the rides, get better shots of the parades etc. I think this lens has better IQ than the 28-135IS. I know two lenses isnt ideal but dont forget to think about what happens when you get back.

The other thing you might want to consider is a top loading camera bag. I took a Tamrac Velocity 9 with me and it allowed me to always have the camera ready to shoot, as i could leave the hood on and not worry about the lens cap. You just reach around and take it out of the top. Takes about 5 secs. I took this on all but 3 rides so it was never a issue having it.

Have a good trip whatever you get, its a fantastic place and we are going back next year.

EDIT: In fact if you wanted to borrow it let me know as i dont use it much these days.

4. SevloW

SevloW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Unless you have the funds I would stick with what you have. People often slam the Canon kit lens but in decent light/conditions it can produce great images.

5. liamis2cool

liamis2cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    cheers mate, il look at that one, prob looking at around around £450-500 being top whack (sorry should of mentioned that!)

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +628
    If you could just stretch another £50 you could get the 15-85IS. In fact you could probably get about £60 for the kit lens so it might work out within budget.
    its a fantastic lens, its small and light, good IS (important for video if you do any) and sharp. I sold my 17-55IS to get one as i feel this is the perfect all round lens.

7. liamis2cool

liamis2cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    cheers, just wonder with the $ the way it is if i could pick it up out there any cheaper.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +628
    It could save you some money if your prepared to take a gamble on warranty/repair if anything goes wrong.

You could also contacting Kerso BRAND NEW* CANON 15-85MM IS USM LENS * IN SCOTLAND | eBay , many of us have brought from him and his prices are pretty good.
    The link shows the 15-85IS for £529 plus postage but he offers discounts if sold outside ebay, which most people go for.

9. cruncher75

cruncher75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    When i went i brought the Tamron 18-270 just for this trip covered enough focal lenth for me plus i only need take just the 1 lens and it was a great walk about lens not to big not to small and i got some great pics with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. sleekyG

sleekyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I am not really sure what particular lens is good enough for the Disneyland. I went to Disneyland HK last month and I just have with me a 17-85mm lens and photos turned out pretty good. :)