Recommendations for a new laptop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jojomonsta, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Jojomonsta

Jojomonsta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, so I just posted a thread about breaking my existing laptop but, I may take the opportunity to move on...

So, I am probably asking for the moon in a stick but, this is what I m looking for...

I need something which will cope with every day office tasks such as documents and spreadsheets, but the main use will be for browsing and playing media.

I'd like something capable of HDMI output, so the graphics capabilities would, I guess, need to be pretty good.
    I would like to connect to my tv/amp, so port options such as HDMI are preferred.
    I am out of touch with what's out there at the moment, and a MacBook is out of my price range! :rolleyes:

I want to keep the price below £500, if not much lower but I guess you get what you pay for.

Anyway, I am really looking for the knowledgeable people out there to give me some pointers.

Any help appreciated, thanks

2. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
  3. Jojomonsta

Jojomonsta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Thanks for the info. Liking the dell.

4. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    no worries :thumbsup: the Dell is a great buy and the 2 year warranty makes the £50 over all very much worth it

but if you want to be strictly under £500, the Lenovo is a good option

5. Jojomonsta

Jojomonsta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Put it this way, I'm girly in the respect I love to shop, however, my idea of shopping is electronics and motorbike stuff lol!
    I should really get my existing laptop fixed as it was 'sufficient', yet I have a hankering for something with more film watching capabilities and better output to our tv/amp instead of basic RGA. Both my husband and I are anti-social swines and spend most of our time watching movies and reading but, as I was sick of paying through the nose for Sky's movies, I wanted to make better use of online rental streaming through LoveFilm. I bought a new blu-ray player thinking the wi fi would facilitate this but it only has you tube as an option (LG BD350 rather than Samsung, which has LoveFilm built in)
    I am a recent Apple convert having both the iPhone and the iPad (a blessing seeing as laptop's packed in) and would love a Mac (which my husband has) but with them starting at £800ish, I certainly can't justify that. She says this after spending stupid money on the iPad! Lol

So, there's my reasoning!

I would love something which would facilitate movie watching/streaming but would also allow me to do your basic home office stuff, too
    If I can connect it to my amp I'm not bothered about speaker quality etc as it will mostly be routed though the amp or tv

Anyway, I'm going on now, lol:rolleyes: