Recommendations for a new DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by prodata, Dec 25, 2006.

1. prodata

prodata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just bought a new Toshiba 32WLT68 HD TV, I need to get a new DVD player - something that will upsample SD to HD and output to HDMI. A new HD player is too much for now, so I'm looking for a reasonably low cost SD DVD player to carry me over until the HD situation starts to settle and become more affordable. A player like the Toshiba SD260E looks a cost-effective solution here, but any other sub-£100 or so suggestions would be welcome.

So far so good, but one thing is nagging. Ideally I'd like to get a DVD recorder but its only function would be to transfer recordings from a Sky HD box to DVD for long term archiving. I know that I could only do this at SD but not having set this up yet I don't know whether I can do it at all! So I've got 3 questions:

1. Can I in fact transfer SD (or HD at SD resolution) recordings from the Sky HD box to DVD?

2. If so, what would be the optimum configuration in terms of connections between HD box / DVD recorder and TV?

3. Again if [1] is indeed possible are there any recommendations for a decent budget DVD recorder to do this job?