Recommendations for a decent sub £700 32" LCD for the bedroom please

Stevie G

I want to get a 32" LCD for my bedroom but there are literally hundreds to choose from. Ideally I wanted to spend between £500 and £600 but am willing to go higher if it's worth paying the extra.

Freeview is preferred. Can anyone recommend a few well rated ones in this price range. ALso, what's the best way to get them for the best price?

I know there's loads of similar threads on here, but like the choice of TV's, there's so many it's hard to wade through and narrow down from them!

Thanks guys!

Stevie G

OK, after looking around, I think I'm better spending around £800 on a decent quality one. Would anyone recommend the Samsung 32R74BDX? It looks really nice but how does is it technically? Are there any better alternatives for the price?

Thanks

Stevie G

Thanks! The Sony is out as it's quite a bit more. I've got a 42" Panny plasma in the lounge and am really pleased with it so I'll deffo have a look at the 32" LCD Panny, and the Tosh looks nice.

Just a question.... contrast ratio...what does that mean? 1200:1 on the Tosh, 1300:1 on the Sony but 5000:1 on the Samsung?! :confused:

Nielo TM

Novice Member
Emanef said:
Thanks! The Sony is out as it's quite a bit more. I've got a 42" Panny plasma in the lounge and am really pleased with it so I'll deffo have a look at the 32" LCD Panny, and the Tosh looks nice.

Just a question.... contrast ratio...what does that mean? 1200:1 on the Tosh, 1300:1 on the Sony but 5000:1 on the Samsung?! :confused:
Contrast ratio means squat.

Contrast ratio means the brightest and the darkest that the display is capable of producing instantaneously.

Truth about contrast ratio
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Contrast ratio doesn't determine color fidelity or level of sharpness. Those are determent by the display, input type and contend.

Do you know how LCD and PDP able to achieve very high contrast, well it's simple? They set the brightness, contrast and backlight to maximum (e.g. LCD 600cd/m2 and PDP 1200cd/m2) and measure the white, then lower the contrast, brightness and backlight to measure the black (LCD 0.3cd/m2 and PDP 0.2cd/m2). By doing so, they will achieve very high contrast ratio (LCD, 600 divided by .03 = 2000:1 and 1200 divided by 0.2 = 6000:1 for PDP). That's that reason why LCDs and PDPs have unusual high brightness, this helps to increase contrast ratio without having deep black. Unfortunately, you're not going to watch TV with settings set to max or min. This is where the true contrast ratio is exposed.

Big numbers sells, that's a fact. When tested, the almighty 4000:1 Panasonic PDP only had 810:1 CR and Philips with 10,000:1 had 1613:1 CR (1108:1 ANSI) of true contrast ratio.

Surprisingly, LCDs are very close to PDPs. In fact, the Sony BRAVIA KDL-40S2000 is very close that of Pioneer PDP-5060HD as the difference between two is 57:1.

Here is a full technical repot from AVSForums.

AVSForum

------------------------------------------------------------

To improve the image quality , manufactures implemented an image enhancing technology and Dynamic Contrast.

Dynamic Contrast is integrated into the video processors such as BRAVIA (Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture) by Sony, DNIe (Digital Natural Image Enhancer) by Samsung, Pixel Plus by Philips, DynaPix by JVC, V-Real Advanced LCD AI featuring Active Light Control and Active Contrast Systems by Panasonic, XD Engine by LG and so on.

The purpose of this chip is to analyze the source picture and reconfigure the contrast levels and backlight accordingly, so that the image looks vibrant and pleasure to look. In another words, form this to this.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work, especially if it's set too high, because image-enhancing algorithms can expose hidden artifacts and causes dithering. You may say, LCDs are already good at exposing hidden artifacts, why make it worse? Because when the consumer sees the TV in action, all he/she sees is the beautiful vibrant colors.

Blocky artifacts caused by image enhancer can be reduced by enabling noise reduction but it causes ghosting/smearing effect similar to this.

Most manufactures including Sony, Panasonic, Sharp and Toshiba are aware of the side effect caused by dynamic contrast and image enhancer, so they keep it to minimal. This is astonishing because they use a LCD technology called Vertical Alignment ( accept Sharp, they use ASV), which has the highest contrast ratio compare to the other two; IPS (In Panel Switching by LG.Philips) and TN (Twisted Nematic).

Here are some simulated comparison shots of original image vs. image enhanced by dynamic contrast.

Dynamic Contrast 1
Dynamic Contrast 2
Dynamic Contrast 3
Dynamic Contrast 4

Stevie G

Cheers Nielo, that's really useful. I like the look of the Panny actually. Already have the 42" plasma version and well pleased with it, although the physical look of the Samsung is the best by far. You don't watch that though do you.....!

Nielo TM

Novice Member
no, design means nothing to me but I do have some standards lol. For example, the Sony "U" series have the poorest design by far.

PS: Are you gonna replace all you're DVD collections with HD or BD?

Stevie G

No way! Got over 500 so it'd cos a fortune! Most look pretty good on my 42" plasma anyway, and I'm looking to get an upscaling DVD/Divx player soon.

I've had a search and noticed a growing thread from owners of the Panny 32" and they don't seem too happy with it. Going to do a bit more looking before I decide between the few I've narrowed it down to.