Recommendations for a 5 channel amp around £750

Can you add a few more details of what capabilities you want from it?

Is it going to be used for movies or music mostly?
Any size preferences?
Colour preferences?
Make preferences?
Upconversion?
Upscaling?
What speakers is it going to be used with?
Minimun amount of inputs?
Whats going to be fed intot he machine eg.dvd player, cdplaer, X-box etc?

More info needed :lesson:

Amp?

Power amp?
AV Amp?
AV Receiver?

l have a pioneer 436 and some kef IQ1's, its for my home cinema kit but will mainly be used for listening to music. My p.c, dvd and t.v are all going to be running through it. My old 2 channel amp is an arcam and has done my proud for the last 5 years, do arcam make a good 5 channel amp? thanks for help :)

Carl fitz said:
l have a pioneer 436 and some kef IQ1's, its for my home cinema kit but will mainly be used for listening to music. My p.c, dvd and t.v are all going to be running through it. My old 2 channel amp is an arcam and has done my proud for the last 5 years, do arcam make a good 5 channel amp? thanks for help :)

So... AV Receiver? Marantz 7500...

Falp said:
So... AV Receiver? Marantz 7500...

Arcam cheapest AV Receiver (AVR250) is 1000£ I think...

2xQ1 or more? Sub?

4 x iQ1's a centre and a sub, arearcam one of the better makes? will I get my money's worth for £1000?

Is there going to be much difference between the arcam avr250 and the denon avr2805s?

Why not wait until the Denon AVR 2807 is available. I am waiting for this amp so I can start using my B&W MT30's. I believe the 2807 is available end March beginning April. It could be worth waiting for the 2807 to compare with other amps of the same value and spec and then make your decision.

Carl fitz said:
4 x iQ1's a centre and a sub, arearcam one of the better makes? will I get my money's worth for £1000?
I would go for Marantz 5600 or 7500! :thumbsup:

I second the Marantz SR-7500. For the money, its about the best sounding integrated amp you can get.

A viable alternative (albeit a bit more expensive) is the Denon 3806. I prefer the sound of the Marantz over Denon in this price range, which is why I own a Marantz 7500. If you're after lots of bells and whistles, the Pioneer AX2 or Denon seem to have a few more trinkets than the Marantz but you pay for it by reduced sound quality imho.

If you listen to music just as much / more than movies, and if Amazon do their £999 price again, I'd go for the Sony STR-DA7100ES over the Yam 2600 anyday :) It's a more musical amp than the yummy yammy which has its main forte in multichannel sound.

A long string of "if"s though :rolleyes:

Although for around the £750 mark, I think the Marantz would be the better option :)

No the yammy is better all round plus you have a magnificient oplus scaler to boot, everything upscaled to HDMI no contest

AVdavid said:
No the yammy is better all round plus you have a magnificient oplus scaler to boot, everything upscaled to HDMI no contest
It depends... I wouldn't trade any Marantz, Arcam or Rotel for any Yammy... ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom