Recommendations for a 5.1 AVR - a price point?

JGHunter

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking for my first AVR and need some advice. I have speakers ready for a 5.1 set up. I may up to 7.1 in the future but it's not a priority. I intend to run my Nvidia Shield Pro through it for films and shows (not using anything live) as I use Plex server on the shield for a media centre. Many of my films are 4K so this functionality is essential although it seems most new ones handle that. I will also use the HDMI arc on my TV for this. I also would like multiple other HDMI ports as I intend to get some older game consoles (with a scart to HDMI converter). I'm not sure if I need ethernet on the AVR but it seems a good idea. How much can I expect to pay for this at the bottom end? And are there specific model recommendations you can make? Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I've already got speakers, I don't need to buy something with a speaker set. I need just an AV receiver which I can wire up to my existing 5.1 speaker set up which supports 4k and multiple hdmi, preferably with arc.

I'm also looking, the best at a lowish cost (though without Atmos) may be the Yamaha RX-V4A but it has the HDMI 2.1 bug for 4k content at 120hz apparently.

I'm also looking, the best at a lowish cost (though without Atmos) may be the Yamaha RX-V4A but it has the HDMI 2.1 bug for 4k content at 120hz apparently.
If your not a gamer then the 4k/120hz issue doesn't matter.

Yamaha will also replace the HDMI board for free onboard all of its 2020 model rhat were effected by the HDMI version 2.1 bug.

You may also be interested in Denon's AVRX1600 AVR. THis predates HDMI version 2.1 and is a 7.1 model inclusive of Atmos. While you may not want or need the additrional channels, its price is comparable to that being asked for the Yamaha V4 model.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom