1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for a 5.1 AV amp that also outputs to an extra pair of speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andyatkins, May 24, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if I'm asking a dumb question but here goes anyway...

Recently had a load of work done to the house with the living room wired up for 5.1 surround sound all cabled back to a cubby hole where the AV stuff will be sited. At the same time I got an extra pair of speaker cables routed to the wall outisde by the patio thinking I could get a pair of outdoor speakers (Bose or another make), on the assumption that these huge AV amps must have loads of outputs for speakers.

However from what I can see AV amps only generally have outputs for 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound speakers & thats it. There seem to be no secondary outputs for another pair of speakers like the sort of thing I want to do.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an AV amp that will do this sort of thing?

I've had the Pioneer AX5 recommended for the surround sound setup but I don't think this will do the Garden speakers - in which case would an alternative route be to get a cheaper 2nd amp just to do this stuff - ultimately I'd probably be happy just getting MP3's etc output from a PC I'll have co-located with other AV stuff in the cubby hole.

Thanks for your help.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Marantz SR7400 should do nicely, it has seperate outputs for another pair of stereo speakers.

I know many of the YAmaha amps also do this. So maybe the Yamaha RXV1400 is also an option.

I don't know if the Denons do this though.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yep, my old Denon 3802 is 7.1 but if only used as a 5.1 system you can use the spare 2 channels to drive a zone 2 pair of speakers. I would therefore assume that the 3803/3805 will also do this. I'm not too sure about the lower models in the Denon range.

Mark.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    With the MArantz and the yamaha you can use the speaker A-B facility seperately to the rest of the setup.

So I've made use of the 7.1 facility, and if I ever need to use the extra stereo outputs, they are there.

I think the newer Denons also allow this, but don't know for sure, maybe one of the Denon 3805/3803 owners can shed some light?

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Andy -

You can use an AVR300 in this way; 5 amplifiers for the main system and a stereo pair too, driven from amplifiers 6 and 7. The latter would be used as zone 2, so could output the same as zone 1 or a different source if you preferred.

One caveat; if you are using the main room in 5.1 then you will need to ensure a stereo feed from your DVD player at the same time for the zone 2 since the AVR300, in common with most (all?) current receivers, does not have two DD decoders. Arcam DVD players and others support this mode of operation.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)